Got some money..what do I do now?

MigAce312

Jul 17, 2001
I'm expecting about $6000 in financial aid money for college. Thats $6000 I'll be getting since my school is already paid for. I want to make that money work for me. What should I do with it? Invest? CD?....

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Is this money that has to be repaid(in form of a loan?)

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
How is school "already paid for?" Other financial aid? LOANS? If you have to repay a school loan, just put the money towards that.

If you don't, invest $5K in a CD and blow the rest on Jim Beam and nice, leggy hooker.

Jan 9, 2002
Pay off your debts, if any. If you have any left, upgrade a significant part of your computer or something else of importance (stereo system, car, new blender?) and save or invest the rest.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
Beer and hookers! Duh!

Seriously though, what vi-edit said...
This will be a great factor in what you should do with the money.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Spend it. Subsidize the economy. I was young and stupid and I invested the money I managed to save from odd jobs.

-PAB

MigAce312

Jul 17, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit

I don't have to pay anything back. What should i invest it in?...I was thinking about investing in mutual funds.

aolsuxs

Dec 6, 2000
So your getting this all from FAFSA? Or outside scholarships...I could use some of that cash for my schooling, the way I see it I will be in debt for the next 8+ years of my life.

UberDave

Platinum Member
Apr 9, 2002
how about you pay for next year's college with it?

errr that is if you are paying by semester

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
If you have any outstanding debts definitely pay those off or at least make a few large payments. It makes no sense to invest this money if you're going to earn 2.75 - 5% yet you're paying 9 - 18% on your credit cards, car loan, personal loans, lines of credit, etc.

If you have no outstanding debts, you don't owe a single penny to a bank or credit card company then I'd first put it into ING Direct which will give you FREE $50, no monthly fees and you earn a decent 2.75% plus your money is FDIC insured.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I'm in the Same boat.

My school is costing about 6K

I'm getting 10K in loans. (actually 6K loans, 4K grants)

Saved about 2k from summer jobs.

2k from selling car.

What do I do with all the money :Q:D?

I'm thinking invest some, save some for trip to China (have a chinese friend who is going home for a visit this summer), maybe computer upgrades, and the rest into house rent so I dont' have to work.

dwil

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you have Student Loans.... DO NOT buy anything.

Pay the loan off.

10 years is a LONG TIME to pay interest. Get out and STAY out of debt.

You will be 30 with kids and a mortgage STILL writing out that freaking check every month.

Trust me.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
People like you that waste financial aid money make me feel so much less.....damn my middle class standing not letting me get grants, and only loans which I have to pay back.

Be honest, give back the money. Some poor kid might need it in college.

aolsuxs

Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: brtspears2
People like you that waste financial aid money make me feel so much less.....damn my middle class standing not letting me get grants, and only loans which I have to pay back.

Be honest, give back the money. Some poor kid might need it in college.

I couldn't agree more. I got a fairly good package via FAFSA. Around 13K, 9K in grants/scholarships and 3K in loans. However total cost for my school is around 27K due to the damn 11K out of state fee I gotta pay for 4 freaking years. So I am a little bitter that the money could be spent on education for students rather then personal luxuries.