Discussion Got some kind of weird network issue ...

Nov 17, 2019
Been happening for 12-18 hours now. All was well before that.

Will work fine for a while, then stop ... pages won't load. Sometimes a refresh will work, others not. Get time outs, DNS errors, https errors, or nothing at all.

Windows network Icons in task bar will intermittently show the yellow triangle ... no network connection. Both hardwired and wireless.

Rebooted modem (ISP provided ActionTec T3260). Seemed to work for a while. Then power cycled it. Again, thought that fixed it.

Changed DNS server numbers.

Most of the time I can log into the modem, but sometimes not ... shows disconnected and rejects User ID and PW.

Tried another PC, same things....

Wireless Android devices act up too.

Can't tell if it's a network configuration conflict, modem going bad or something downstream.

Nov 17, 2019
^^ No, none of that.

I hate when I figure stuff out AFTER a help post request.

I had another old modem that I plugged in yesterday to use as a network switch for a couple of PCs I needed to test. Turns out I had never changed the IP of that old modem and it was the same as the current active modem. The PCs and devices were somehow hitting it intermittently and since it wasn't connected to the ISP ... well ....

Light went on just after I opened this thread and I logged into it separately, changed the IP address and looks like I'm back to normal

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well, windows does it's connectivity checks against one of their servers in the registry. So, of those are jacked up so is your triangle. There could be a path issue reaching then or a general DNS issue causing the issues you're seeing. Using Google for DNS and level 3 8.8.8.8 / 4.2.2.2 typically works well.

The modem acting up can sometimes be resolved with a hard reset. It might be something as simple as the Ethernet cable though too. There could be a power issue with the modem or an ISP issue with one of their connections going to the internet.