Got scammed big time =(

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Somebody got a hold of my credit card number and went on a shopping spree...one of the items, a $900 Digital Camera. :( Well, at least Wingspan is gonna credit my account.

I better be more careful next time.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
thats why I only shop reputable sites

and I dont have that high a credit limit. Help it from going out of control

though people can get your CC# without ever it being used online. They could get lucky with those random # generator for CC

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I had a couple charges on my credit card from "we're gonna send you this info free for 30 days and if you don't like it tell us you don't want it" I had said no to one, one was sent in my mom's name to my mom, she didn't even know WHAT it was, and neither company was given my credit card number by me nor authorized to charge my card...

...WHAT COMPANY SOLD MY CREDIT CARD INFO?!

Note: both said they would credit my account

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
All this stuff sucks but I think in coming years security is going to step right up because for people to shop online, for instance, they need more confidence in being scammed. American Express (?) already has those disposable numbers only good for one transaction. What a great idea. More thinking like that and we won't have to worry so much...

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Skoorb

Those disposable #'s are a great idea. Should be one of those "why didn't they think of that sooner" type idea. :)

Frenchie

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 22, 1999
Visa and Mastercard have &quot;gift credit cards&quot; available now. You can have a gift credit card issued in any amount you like, and once that amount is used, no more charges can be made, nor can the limit be increased, etc. Another viable option available to those that are not AmEx holders.

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
I've heard of some people who 'steal their own card', and go out on a shopping bin, report their card stolen and then give the gifts out for Christmas or take them back to another store for credit. Whats the world coming to!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Oh I'm sure that happens, just as insurance fraud happens. Jokes on them when they get caught tho...

nateholtrop

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Yah that sucks that's why I only have a debit card and my bank account is so low you couldnt even buy anything worthwhile hahaha.

nate

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
bigvince:

It's a good thing ecost.com didn't give me your address...hehe. :)

GameProgrammer:

The person bought a digital camera and about 5 subscriptions to some &quot;adult&quot; sites.

Soulflare

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
It is starting to look as though the credit card companies are
really starting to get on the defensive.

I received an urgent call from the Capital One fraud department
this morning, not because someone went on a wild shopping spree,
or I had accidently hit the order submit button twenty times, but
because I had made three online purchases over the past
month. They just wanted to make sure that my card wasn't
lost or stolen.

It is nice that they are being proactive, but as someone who works
in the e-commerce industry it concerns me to see a fairly large
credit card company going out of it's way to spook anyone making
online purchases when consumer confidence is already a major
problem. I can just see someone making their first online purchase,
receiving their book or DVD from Amazon without incident, and then
receiving a concerned phone call from their credit card's fraud
dept.
and then never shopping online again.

:|

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
My dad got scammed twice, although it HAD nothing to do with the internet, it was scammy waiters who took down his info when he gave them the CC#.

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I got a new card recently, and the first thing I did was to order the parts for four identical systems I was building for a client... total almost $2900. Two days later I got a call from the CC &quot;Security Division&quot; wanting to confirm the charges... very cool if you ask me... :)

Dave

BuckMaster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It might of been bigvince, did you see all those nice pics he posted last week? ;)

prontospyder,
I'm VERY glad everthing worked out for you in the long run!

MuffD

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
when i was a little bit younger. i had a friend who while was surfing, had just his credit card stolen. with it, 3 laptops were purchased. these were the toshiba laptops that were like almost 3000 dollars. P75's with 2X cd-roms:p

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I was ordering a lot of parts online for a computer I was building. My CC company called within hours of a few purchases and verified that I was using it. I am glad that they are starting to take the time and try to prevent fraud.

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
well, speaking of preventing fraud...

The internet crime center contacted me about the www.compu???barn.com (something like that) scam where some guy sold real cheap stuff and stole credit card numbers.

Before i tell him that I dont have much info about it, do any of you guys have something to add? I remember reading a post from a guy who said his credit card number was charged two months later. Come on..please read this!! It took the internet crime center two months to contact me and now that they do i dont want to lose the chance to get the sucker that scammed so many people.
john
jtang(at)jhu(dot)edu