Question Got RTX 2070, I'm happier than I expected! 'Tested' top PC games:

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I had my trusty 1060 6gb I got it new many many moons ago. With the falling GPU prices, I bought a used 2070 from a friend for $200. Yes I know it was a premature purchase as GPU prices continue to fall with holidays season before us. I should've waited until AMD announces their next lineup and see how that impacts the new & used market with the RTX 4000 prices. But I just gave in to my impulses.

I have a near 10-year old then-budget rig of i3-2130, 8 gb RAM, HDD, and HD6870.
It was upgraded numerous times to what it is today: i7-3770 (old & used, fastest cpu for my mobo), 16 gb RAM, 2TB SATA SSD, and GTX 1060 6gb.

Now I have the RTX 2070. I have consumed too many articles and videos on this while the GPU was being sent to me. I know it's same or just a touch above 1080ti. I was cautiously excited.

Then the 2070 arrived. Well it's pretty good! I think the CPU may be bottlenecking a bit, but I am quite surprised. This is for 1920x1080p 60fps gaming.

Read Dead Redemption 2: Few things are set as ultra + 1.5x upscaling gives me 40-50 fps. The game is notoriously blurry at 1080p hence the upscaling per reddit nerds. The game looks gorgeous, but some areas it's started to look dated vs modern open-world games such as Farcry 6 or even Halo Infinite (yes i know these aren't RPGs)
Original game score 9/10
2070 upgrade excitement score 8/10

Halo Infinite:
Holy cow, my old card struggled with this so much. 2070 completely blows it away. Unlike RDR2, I set everything to max and it's butter smooth at vsync locked 60fps. I think it clocks in somewhere around 70-80 fps without vsync. This is a complete homerun. This game has a very satisfying gunplay. And 2070 makes it perfect with max 1080 res gaming. You can just mow down enemies with various thumping weapons at max settings. It is a very satisfying experience, more so than Doom remakes.
Original game score 8/10
2070 upgrade excitement score 10/10

Forza Horizon 5:
I didn't care for 2070's ray tracing feature because it's first gen and also underpowered for xx70 line-up. But it doesn't seem to impact performance too much here (5-7 fps drop) compared to Far Cry 6. But then you notice less here too. This game is still demanding and I can only set few things to ultra. It kind of feels like 2070 didn't matter too much visually. My previous 1060 6gb made the game looks perfectly fine and beautiful with high settings at 60 fps.
Original game score 8/10
2070 upgrade excitement score 7/10

Overwatch 2:
OW2 actually uses a new engine compared to 1. Despite being basically the same game, my old card struggled with OW2 during the beta (when compared side by side 1 vs 2 beta). 2070 makes it an auto-max in OW2. It is utterly gorgeous.
Original game score (of OW2 Beta, not OW1) 5/10
2070 upgrade excitement score 10/10

Far Cry 6:
I just bought this so I don't know how it performed with my old game. The opening is super demanding (40 fps) at Extreme settings. I set most at Ultra and High and the game looks gorgeous. Holy cow, the volumetric fog and drenching amber sunset lightings are utterly gorgeous. Time for RDR2 to have a remake!
Original game score TBD
2070 upgrade excitement score TBD

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade:
This game looks gorgeous in its own way. Too many stuttering issues which is a known PC port problem reported by... everyone. I experience it too, but it's tolerable.
Original game score TBD
2070 upgrade excitement score 9/10

Deathloop
Original game score 9/10

Control
Original game score 8/10

Thanks for listening. I wanted to build a 3070/i5-12600k/32gb DDR4 system with a new monitor originally. But even being budget conscious, you end up with $1400~ (WTF). This will have to do as a patient gamer.

I am happy for now.

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Don't touch any antialiasing with DSR. Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) is one of the oldest brute force AA methods (SSAA, or Super Sample Anti Aliasing): It is rendering more pixels than your screen can actually display, then downsampling the image to a lower resolution. Thanks to the additional sub-pixel info your card is sending to your monitor, everything will naturally look smoother and "anti- aliased" which is what all the other AA methods are trying to do with shortcuts.

I read up a bit after my post, and thank you.

The context was great - how DSR is the oldest brute force AA. I thought it was some shiny new thing with RTX.

Reactions: Leeea

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I bought a pre-built PC in 2019. It came with an ASUS 2070 card. For the most part, it did everything I asked of it...played nearly every game in my library on ultra settings...EXCEPT Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. That game constantly threw the "You have run out of video memory" warning, generally in the New York episode. Happens with my new 3070 card as well. (both have 8 GB vram, but I see on Reddit, even people with 10-11 GB have the same issue in this game) The ONLY reason I replaced the 2070 was because I broke a couple of fan blades and couldn't find a replacement fan. (about a week after receiving the 3070, I was able to get a replacement fan)

• Love
Reactions: Zeze