Got rained on in the middle of a roofing job, will that be a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy2000GT

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
Right now I have two concerns.

My contractor put all of the roofing felt on couple of days ago. But when they were installing the asphalt shingles yesterday it started to rain. They installed the shingles on half of the roof in the rain. Will the trapped moisture below the shingles be ok?

Today on the other half of the roof that was not shingled, the roofing felt is curled / wavy from the rain. In the attic I can see light passing through the holes/cracks of the roof since the roofing felt is not laying flat anymore. My contractor said he will put another layer of roofing felt on top of the damaged layer. Will this be ok? It sounds like it would be safer to take out the damaged layer and replace it with a new layer.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
In confused, why isn't your mom handling this?

Why are you trolling this guy's thread?

If you can't help him out, stay out of the thread.

esquared
Anandtech forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
With all of the high quality underlayment out there it makes me wonder why felt is still used. I know, I know felt is cheap, but most of the better products will shed the water and not bubble up like felt can. Op id make sure the roofer takes care of any bubbles before applying the shingles.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Doesn't matter at all. Any moisture trapped in the roof will flow down and out.
The bubbled felt can cause a minor lump on the finished roof, depending on what sort of roofing you're using. Most roofers will just cut it to make it lay down, and not bother patching the cut.

How could you see daylight from the attic? That should be solid sheathing.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
With all of the high quality underlayment out there it makes me wonder why felt is still used. I know, I know felt is cheap, but most of the better products will shed the water and not bubble up like felt can. Op id make sure the roofer takes care of any bubbles before applying the shingles.

The better quality underlayment isn't used because it's not necessary. The only time you upgrade the underlayment is when you have specific conditions that require it.

Conroe

Mar 12, 2006
If it didn't leak there are no problems. Felt paper expands in the cold and shrinks in the heat. The felt will tighten up and sit flat when the sun comes out.

Tommy2000GT

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
So yesterday it got fairly warm and the felt seemed to dry up pretty quickly. It seemed to flattened out after it dried up. But they still added a 2nd layer because it is 15lb felt.

Tommy2000GT

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
Doesn't matter at all. Any moisture trapped in the roof will flow down and out.
The bubbled felt can cause a minor lump on the finished roof, depending on what sort of roofing you're using. Most roofers will just cut it to make it lay down, and not bother patching the cut.

How could you see daylight from the attic? That should be solid sheathing.

I think because there wasn't that much overlap so when the edges curled up that exposed the wood underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.