Got my RTX 3090 yesterday!

Turtle.Man

Mar 20, 2010
But, I'm not here to gloat- I thought some of you might be interested to know how I managed to acquire one:

EVGA has been allowing members of their user forum to order any of their out of stock GPUs (only one item per customer, though). These orders are being queued and are processed in chronological order. I signed on to the queue on May 21st of last year, and two days ago I was informed by email that I was eligible to purchase the item within the next 24 hours. Failure to do so would result in the item being offered to the next person in line. Needless to say, EVGA had my money as fast as I could get it to them, and my RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra is due to be delivered to me tomorrow afternoon.

It will be a welcome upgrade to my current GTX Titan (yes, the original Kepler version!).

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
But, I'm not here to gloat- I thought some of you might be interested to know how I managed to acquire one:

EVGA has been allowing members of their user forum to order any of their out of stock GPUs (only one item per customer, though). These orders are being queued and are processed in chronological order. I signed on to the queue on May 21st of last year, and two days ago I was informed by email that I was eligible to purchase the item within the next 24 hours. Failure to do so would result in the item being offered to the next person in line. Needless to say, EVGA had my money as fast as I could get it to them, and my RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra is due to be delivered to me tomorrow afternoon.

It will be a welcome upgrade to my current GTX Titan (yes, the original Kepler version!).
I wouldn't gloat. EVGA f'd a lot of people with that whole sign-up thing. I've been on that list since Nov. 2020. I wish I was kidding. I originally had 8 or so cards on my list. EVGA asked everyone to limit it to two cards each. Perfectly understandable! But what they didn't explain is that they were going to stop manufacturing certain cards and the two 3080s I had reserved they changed the SKU number and stopped fulling the cards that had people on the listed. They were even gracious enough not to tell those people and let other people join for the newer cards. So while certain people had been on the list over a year longer, they were filling cards (more expensive) to people who signed up AFTER the other people. Why didn't they give the original people the option to get a different card or pay more for a higher end card?

In my case, it doesn't matter because I was able to pick up two 3080 FTW Ultra for $900 and $950 each brand new in Dec 2020 and then a month later for the 2nd one. It didn't affect me as much as it did for others, but now I know EVGA doesn't care about its customers.

Reactions: soulcougher73

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I managed to nab a 12G 3080 from Newegg shuffle. $1249 .

I figure I should be able to sell my 1080ti and get half that back. I game at 4K and the monitor can do 144Hz, so the 1080ti was starting to hit a wall a little bit.

Sometimes I feel guilty spending this type of money, but hey I don't drink or smoke and have any other expensive hobbies like cars and you gotta treat yourself sometimes right?

....right????

....right?

• Haha
Reactions: bigboxes

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I've been pretty lucky with EVGA. Got a 3090 at launch from the Elite program. Purchased a 2080 Super and stepped up to a 3080 FTW3 for nothing out of pocket. Was able to sell the 3080 to cover the cost of a 3080 Ti FTW3 which I got at launch.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I've been pretty lucky with EVGA. Got a 3090 at launch from the Elite program. Purchased a 2080 Super and stepped up to a 3080 FTW3 for nothing out of pocket. Was able to sell the 3080 to cover the cost of a 3080 Ti FTW3 which I got at launch.

I think I have the deal of the century. I bought a MSI 3080 close to launch for about $850 after taxes. Got an eVGA 3080 Ti for about $1500 after taxes and shipping through the eVGA lottery, and sold the non-LHR 3080 for about $1600 and some change after fees on eBay just before the Eth gold rush crash.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I think I have the deal of the century. I bought a MSI 3080 close to launch for about $850 after taxes. Got an eVGA 3080 Ti for about $1500 after taxes and shipping through the eVGA lottery, and sold the non-LHR 3080 for about $1600 and some change after fees on eBay just before the Eth gold rush crash.

That's how I stepped up to a 3080 Ti. I traded a forum member my unopened EVGA 3080 for his Asus 3080 Tuf since it was a 2 PCIE connector and fit in my NZXT H1. When the 3080 Ti launched, I purchased it on for $1500 or so and then listed the 3080 Tuf on ebay. I started the bidding at $700 since I felt it fair and it instantly shot up to $1500 and finally sold for $1700+shipping. After fees, it pretty much covered the cost of the upgrade.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
I really should have emptied my bank account and gone into the GPU buy/sell business. If only I weren't so risk averse :(

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I really should have emptied my bank account and gone into the GPU buy/sell business. If only I weren't so risk averse :(

It's not a bad deal if you do it for personal use, but making it a job isn't worth it in my opinion. There are too many fees and headaches involved in the process that dilutes any profit you anticipate to make. eBay, FedEx/UPS, Paypal, taxes and so on all get a piece of the pie and hopefully someone doesn't scam you on the other end.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
It's not a bad deal if you do it for personal use, but making it a job isn't worth it in my opinion. There are too many fees and headaches involved in the process that dilutes any profit you anticipate to make. eBay, FedEx/UPS, Paypal, taxes and so on all get a piece of the pie and hopefully someone doesn't scam you on the other end.

This year eBay will start issuing 1099-K, so be prepared to pay federal gains taxes on any profits even if you're not a business.

Note: I'm well aware this has always been the case, but they're definitely enforcing it now.

• Wow

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Congrats to OP!

I was considering to get another 3090, since they are once again stock, but still 2700 EUROs with VAT around here.
Currently i have 3090 + 2080Ti combo for Octane rendering, though i recenly i have been using mostly 3090 only, as the scenes i worked on would not fit 2080Ti vram... so another 3090 would be to get away with that limit, i could sell 2080Ti to refund some money.
But i kinda hesitate to do it, given 4000 series probably happening this year. If the rumors are true, potential 4090 might have 90 Tflops, almost 3x more than 3090 (in octane this translates kinda nicely into real performance, unlike in games)... hopefully not that higher price that current overinflated price for 3090. All in all, i guess i will wait.