SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
First off, my setup

brand new Opty 165 CCBBE 0617FPMW
Asus A8R32-MVP deluxe
Zalman CNPS9500
Everything @ stock

So I just got my opty 165 installed tonight. Windows recognized both cores instantly, I installed the patches, all seems good. However I decided to check the temps before overclocking any...... And what is going on? :eek: :confused:

Core temp used to be always within a couple degrees of what asus PC probe said for my 3700+ but now it doesn't want to agree much at all except on idle! The huge jump in core temp right after starting up orthos, the rapid drop after stopping, and the big difference between core temp and PC probe have me wondering which is really more accurate right now! I am assuming PC Probe is taking an average between the two cores...

Well they say pics are worth more than 1000 words, so here:

SITTING IDLE

Orthos after 10 seconds

After 2 minutes

ONLY 5 SECONDS after stopping orthos

Which do I trust?? And if core temp is being accurate does it mean I have a really bad IHS mount?

Help would be appreciated! I want to OC this thing but I'm not going to until I figure these temps out.

Also vcore seems to bounce around more than it used to in PC Probe....

*EDIT* a 200MHz overclock got core #1 up to 56 degrees after only a couple minutes... :Q

>>>>>>BIG UPDATE<<<<<<

I finally got the courage to remove my IHS.... oh that was so scary! :Q But it came out fine, no nicks on anything and it POSTed the first time :D

Now my temps are as follows (this is with the 200MHz overclock that got me 56 degrees on core #1)

10 minutes of orthos

Better than 56 degrees after 2 minutes I must say!

My screws on my zalman hit the mobo tray so I couldn't tighten them down any further. So out of curiosity I pressed down on the heatsink a little to see if the temps would get affected. They did!

Little extra heatsink pressure

Even better, almost a 10 degree drop from before the IHS removal! I need shorter screws now to get better pressure on the core.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Well the thing is I don't see why the core temps are jumping up or down so fast. Didn't used to with my 3700+. I'm leaning towards that coretemp is being the odd one because it was very close with my 3700+ but not with this, and now that I think about it a bad IHS mount would mean idle temps would be higher, load temps would jump up pretty quick but it wouldn't cool off that fast... PC probe seems to be much more under control.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: SparkyJJO
Well the thing is I don't see why the core temps are jumping up or down so fast. Didn't used to with my 3700+. I'm leaning towards that coretemp is being the odd one because it was very close with my 3700+ but not with this, and now that I think about it a bad IHS mount would mean idle temps would be higher, load temps would jump up pretty quick but it wouldn't cool off that fast... PC probe seems to be much more under control.

Remember that you have 2 cores in that small area so you get double the heat vs a single core.

loafbred

May 7, 2000
I get similar differences between the two monitoring utilities with my A8N5X. As the other poster said, you have two cores generating heat now, and it really is rising and falling a lot more than you saw with a single-core cpu.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: loafbred
I get similar differences between the two monitoring utilities with my A8N5X. As the other poster said, you have two cores generating heat now, and it really is rising and falling a lot more than you saw with a single-core cpu.

OK if so then and those really are my core temps then what is the max safe temp for overclocking?

Dang if they are really getting that high @ stock speeds with my zalman then how high must they get on the stock cooler.... :Q

the Chase

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2005
I just had the same experience going from an Opty 146 to a Opty 170. Temps are a lot higher and rise and fall a lot faster.

I start to pace around as temps hit 55C and hover over the "stop" button when they hit 60C on Orthos.(They have topped out at 57-58C so far on 1.49 volts). The cool thing is that games(until truly threaded ones appear) or any other app. never gets your CPU nearly so hot as dual Prime testing.

loafbred

May 7, 2000
Originally posted by: SparkyJJO
Originally posted by: loafbred

OK if so then and those really are my core temps then what is the max safe temp for overclocking?

Dang if they are really getting that high @ stock speeds with my zalman then how high must they get on the stock cooler.... :Q

It seems that nobody trusts the accuracy of any motherboard monitoring, and the Core Temp utility seems generally accepted to be suspect on socket 939 dual-cores. I'm just comparing my temp readings to what others are getting, and making a best guess. PC Probe seems to be about right on mine, as I idle at 32* to 34* and dual-prime at 55* to 57* with a 38 cfm 92mm fan on an Ultra 90 cooler. I just ordered a 58 cfm Delta three-blade fan (36 dBA) to see if I can get it down a few degrees.

I tried the retail AMD heatpipe cooler (80mm fan), and it's pretty darn good. I put a 51 cfm 80x38mm fan on it (a little loud), and it is comparable to the Ultra 90 with a 38 cfm fan (quiet).

customcoms

Dec 31, 2004
I'm running the stock AMD cooler. My opty is running at 2.7ghz with stock volts-I'm idling around 36-37* and dual orthos around 50*. This is with MBM5 and Core Temp-both within 1-2* of each other.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Well OK I had a mistake in some settings, the voltage was bumped up a little bit. D'oh! I'm used to the 1.4V of the 3700+ and didn't realize that this was supposed to be on 1.3V/1.35V so now the temps are a little better. Here are some updated pics.

Idle
2 minutes of Orthos
5 seconds after stopping Orthos

Interestingly now core #1 is the cooler running one, apparently it heats up more than core 2 does with a voltage bump.

I'm at work right now but when I get back I'm going to try remounting my heatsink, although I don't see how it could even possibly be mounted poorly it is so straightforward. But I'll try again and see what happens. I'm thinking that IHS removal might be needed but I don't know if I have the guts to do it, if I make any mistake and kill the CPU I have no money to replace it with...

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I just overclocked a little bit - only 200MHz - and now the core #2 temps get up to 56 degrees C (core #1 stays 4-7 degrees cooler than core #2 it seems). From stock speed to 200MHz shouldn't get me that much of a temp increase I wouldn't think.

Sorry if I sound like a n00b but I am when it comes to dual cores, I've never messed with one before.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
>>>>>>BIG UPDATE<<<<<<

I finally got the courage to remove my IHS.... oh that was so scary! :Q But it came out fine, no nicks on anything and it POSTed the first time :D

Now my temps are as follows (this is with the 200MHz overclock that got me 56 degrees on core #1)

10 minutes of orthos

Better than 56 degrees after 2 minutes I must say!

My screws on my zalman hit the mobo tray so I couldn't tighten them down any further. So out of curiosity I pressed down on the heatsink a little to see if the temps would get affected. They did!

Little extra heatsink pressure

Even better, almost a 10 degree drop from before the IHS removal! I need shorter screws now to get better pressure on the core.