Got my new Memory, and I'm confused.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I finally got my hands on my awaited (since last Friday, it was about time, week-end was long on a three years-old 3-3-3-8 stick, 512 MB, with BF2) 2GB kit of OCZ Platinum Memory.

Alright, so, the Memory in question is that one: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/m...z_el_ddr_pc_3200_dual_channel_platinum

Please note, that I got a version labeled "V2.0" (the sticker on both sticks reads "2-3-2-5 Platinum Edition" with a very little "V2.0" at the bottom right corner).

And, according to OCZ themselves, all such Memory kits at V2.0+ have a Voltage setting of 2.8V (compared to 2.6V for V1.0+). Now, my question is: Why ? How come ?

I mean, the timings are the exact same between V1.0 and V2.0 (2-3-3-5), and are both at the exact same frequencies (200 Mhz).

Is it to avoid instability and they decided to increase the voltage ? Is it to allow a consumer to over-clock with more "head room" ?

Should I run it at 2.8V at stock frequencies/FSB ? Or is it because I could go up to 2.8V for whatever the reason is ?

Any ideas ? I'm a bit confused about it.

Kakumba

Mar 13, 2006
Broken Link. However, I am intrigued by this too, coz I suspect this is the kit I just got (havent had a chance to play with it yet, its for my new build.) So yeah, any answers?

Kakumba

Mar 13, 2006
Ok. Well, I dont think mine is the v2, but I will check when I can. Im still a bit annoyed, I jump on this at a good deal, and this is the only one that doesnt have EVP up to 2.9 - 3v. Oh well, I'll still give it that many volts if it needs it.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Somebody on another forums (OCForums) think it might be because the Revision 2 features a different (perhaps "better" per say) IC (Integrated Circuit). But I'm not sure. And he can't be either, since there seems to be no way to actually be 100% sure about that, unless OCZ themselves tells us. I think I'll e-mail them about that.

Kakumba

Mar 13, 2006
there is an OCZ tech support forum on XS, but im not a member, and I seem to recall that OCZ may not be providing that support. not sure.

DavidK21770

Jan 1, 2005
In theory, to overclock you need to increase the voltage. So, the implication is that it is more capable of being overclocked. I practice, this may not be true. I have the OCZ Platinum ELDCPE-K (EL, dual channel, also rated at 2.8v) and have found that it's just as stable at 2.66v as it is at 2.8v and, I've had zero success at overclocking it at all (could be my lack of experience :)).

DavidK21770

Jan 1, 2005
Originally posted by: scott

Fill out the form on this page and ask your question here for authoritative answer.

Thanks! I'd considered that, but you got me off my butt. I found a good thread there and am now overclocking my OCZ Platinum EL memory to get 1:1 on my CPU overclock :cool:
(Priming right now -- been stable for close to an hour -- only 7 more to go!).
[later] stopped priming at 13 hours -- stable

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Might try HERE too. OCZ techs check this thread all the time and are pretty good with their support.