Got into a car accident.. By myself... Should I use insurance to fix it?

Mar 15, 2003
So I was a tool and smacked into a tree months ago - the car is pretty much inoperable since I hear a grinding sound while driving and it doesn't feel safe. I've been paying my insurance for these past 3 months but haven't ever gotten around to fixing it - should I call this into insurance and get this repaired even though it's all my fault or should I wait it out, until I get a stable gig and can afford the repairs?

imported_stev

Oct 27, 2005
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
So I was a tool and smacked into a tree months ago - the car is pretty much inoperable since I hear a grinding sound while driving and it doesn't feel safe. I've been paying my insurance for these past 3 months but haven't ever gotten around to fixing it - should I call this into insurance and get this repaired even though it's all my fault or should I wait it out, until I get a stable gig and can afford the repairs?

How did it happen? Did you say the quote in your sig around the time you were driving?

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: stev

How did it happen? Did you say the quote in your sig around the time you were driving?

The parking lot I use (owned by my dad) is like a battle field - pitch black at night and 4 other cars there. I tried to jiggle into a spot and accelerated hard and the left side smacked into a tree, hard, destroying the left side of the bumper, the fender and I think somethign in the wheel well.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: bunker
Get any estimates?

Not an official estimate but my car geek friend said $1,500-2,000. At least the front bumper and fender need to be replaced, plus whatever's damaged in the wheel well. I'd have to get it towed to get a real estimate and I don't want to blow the cash since, honestly, cash is a little tight. Enough to pay insurance but I can't justify paying for repairs right now.

imported_stev

Oct 27, 2005

The parking lot I use (owned by my dad) is like a battle field - pitch black at night and 4 other cars there. I tried to jiggle into a spot and accelerated hard and the left side smacked into a tree, hard, destroying the left side of the bumper, the fender and I think somethign in the wheel well.

Oh wow, bad news. Sorry to hear that.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

Next time, buy a car with headlights... :D

What kind of grinding sound is it? Maybe just the tire on the plastic fender lining?

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: CadetLee

I had my headlights on but was .. ok.. too confident when I shouldn't have been!

Mar 15, 2003

What kind of grinding sound is it? Maybe just the tire on the plastic fender lining?

Possibly, what's scary though is that that left side is so banged up that I can't open my left door. Dad said that the frame of the car is slightly bent and that driving it isn't a good idea.

also, the grinding is sporatic and shakes the car, which makes me thing something more serious than superficial damage occured

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus
does your insurance even cover it? If you just carry liability you are SOL.

I have full coverage, relatively new car (2005) so I got the best coverage allstate offers.

josh0099

Aug 8, 2004
Get any estimates?

Not an official estimate but my car geek friend said $1,500-2,000. At least the front bumper and fender need to be replaced, plus whatever's damaged in the wheel well. I'd have to get it towed to get a real estimate and I don't want to blow the cash since, honestly, cash is a little tight. Enough to pay insurance but I can't justify paying for repairs right now.

What is your deductible? If it's $500 I would almost say pay for it yourself, as claiming might raise your insurance etc...

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: josh0099
Get any estimates?

What is your deductible? If it's $500 I would almost say pay for it yourself, as claiming might raise your insurance etc...

Yep, it's $500.

I do wonder, how easy is it to suspend insurance and then reinstate it after I have the cash to repair the car? I could technically suspend it, put aside that money and afford the repairs sooner.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

talk to PAB.

if you have comprehensive, you could say:
"car was parked in walmart parking lot. when i got back, there was a big dent..."

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com

not to be mean, but are you new to driving ?

how did you accelerate hard ....

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

I had my headlights on but was .. ok.. too confident when I shouldn't have been!

You mean drunk?

Grminalac

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
You can use insurance when it is your fault. Here in PA it would be a collision claim, you would pay a deductable and it may/may not raise your insurance... Usually there is a limit and if your repair cost is under that it would not affect nyour insurance rates. Talk to your agent. I have Erie, i think their limit is 1200.

Nov 5, 2001
shens....no parking lot accident is going to bend your frame and cause that much damage. you're not telling the whole story.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus
does your insurance even cover it? If you just carry liability you are SOL.

I have full coverage, relatively new car (2005) so I got the best coverage allstate offers.

Well then, go ahead and file a claim. If you have full coverage you'll just have to pay the deductable, which should be less than the cost of repairs.

jimmyjam

Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: josh0099
Get any estimates?

Yep, it's $500.

I do wonder, how easy is it to suspend insurance and then reinstate it after I have the cash to repair the car? I could technically suspend it, put aside that money and afford the repairs sooner.

In our office we'll suspend coverage with a quick phone call and re-instate coverage with the same. I can't speak for Allstate though.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDI

talk to PAB.

if you have comprehensive, you could say:
"car was parked in walmart parking lot. when i got back, there was a big dent..."

btw- what happened to PAB? i havent seen him for ~6months?!