got hurt...no insurance:(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Be unfront with them and tell them you are concerned about the cost and see what they can do.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Hmmmmm....so how much would an ER visit with no insurance cost? I am assuming that they take an X ray.

Your most expensive option, thousands of dollars.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
where do I apply for this free insurance?

It's hard to get. They denied becase I could not supply proof of having $0 of income:confused:

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by: KK
Originally posted by: daveymark
insurance is mandatory?

yeah, starting in Jan, you will be fined $290 for every month you do not have insurance for MA residents. I tried applying for the free insurance, but I was denied. My gf has been supporting me these past few months (not proud of it) as I look for a job (no one, not even part time is calling me back).

That's crazy, the folks that can't afford insurance most likely can't afford $290 a month. Who's idea was that?

The fine is annually not monthly. The House approved the bill on a 154-2 vote. The Senate endorsed it 37-0. Mitt Romney signed it into law. Yay for democracy.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: KLin
Hmmm...my gf suggested that I get married and use her insurance....hmmmmmm

Awesome reason to get married!! I give it 3 months. :p

I dunno...I've seen people get married for a lot worse reasons...

OP, you REALLY should see a doctor for this. In the mean time, apply ice packs to help relieve the swelling and take anti-inflamatory drugs like naproxen or ibuprofen. Both will help to alleviate the inflammation and swelling, plus they're mild pain relievers as well.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
The hospitals, at least here in Boston, have a form you can fill out that discusses how you have a strong difficulty paying the bills that will be incurred.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: WarhammerUC
quick wedding as u siad... make her ur wife and u get insurance.. :) and dont forget the 50% also :)

Yup... if/when things don't work out you can just take half! :p

And seriously ... this is good advice:

Originally posted by: alfa147x

OP, you can get more money, but you can't get more feet. GO TO A DOCTOR. SOON.

[/quote]

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Goto the hospital and right up front explain that there's no way you can afford to pay for the care you need as you are out of work presently. Major hospitals have staff for people who can ill-afford to pay for health care which you might qualify for. If you're not in critical pain, you could likely ask to speak with someone first as that seems to be most pressing on your mind. I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that you will not be the first insurance-less person they've handled.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: daveymark
insurance is mandatory?

yeah, starting in Jan, you will be fined $290 for every month you do not have insurance for MA residents. I tried applying for the free insurance, but I was denied. My gf has been supporting me these past few months (not proud of it) as I look for a job (no one, not even part time is calling me back).

Fining people who can't afford insurance seems like an...interesting solution to the problem.

Sounds like one of the legislators is in the pocket of the insurance companies...

Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Hmmmmm....so how much would an ER visit with no insurance cost? I am assuming that they take an X ray.

Your most expensive option, thousands of dollars.

No, his most expensive option would be:
my gf suggested that I get married

/rimshot?

The ER is a bad idea, they charge extra for "emergency" services when you'll still be waiting in the lobby for ages. Hobble through the front door with the help of your GF and homemade crutches. If they try to shuttle you to the ER, whine about how you can't possibly afford it, your life will be ruined, etc. Once they're done checking the lobby for Michael Moore and his film crew, they'll get someone to deal with your case and help out with the bill.

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
This is sad.
In Canada, France, England or Cuba you'd just go and get it treated.
Cost = 0

But then again, you don?t find high rise gold and glass plated hmo insurance buildings (CIGNA, Well mark, Blue cross, Humana) in Canada, France, England or Cuba.

Got to ER, get treated, ignore the bill till you are employed and able to repay.
Heck... this is America. If they want to stack the cards against you, play some back on them.
They pay plenty of congress reps and lobbyist to stack the deck their way and keep you wondering what to do.

Don?t believe that if you were in Canada, France, England or Cuba you'd have to wait a month to see a doctor. Thats TOTAL bs.

gurrrrrrr
(good luck)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

thats a moronic statement....
You need to go see a dr.......so go!!

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Go to a doctor and explain, they'll work out something you can afford. Otherwise they have to treat you anyway, I'm pretty sure, and they don't want to charge a sum they know they'll never get. It's easier for them to just work it out.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Siva
if you can't afford a dr then you can apply for help paying, if you can afford a dr then you should be going

Yeah I snapped my wrist skating last summer. 10k in med bills without insurance, all dropped since I made just a few thousand the year before. One-time fee reductions ftw!

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
If you do go, which you should, just pay them $10 a month or some small amount. When you get a job you can start really paying it off. As long as you are paying something on it they cannot report you to a collection agency.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Seek out a private hospital (Catholic would be ideal) and see if they have any sort of charity programs. I know that the healthcare system I work for offers assistance and free services to a number of uninsured people.

If they won't do it for free, maybe you can get the 30 year payoff plan. :)