Got beat by a civic on the freeway!

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
I was driving back from the SCCA autocross tonite in San Bernadino and some civic was tailgating me so we went at it at around 70mph. I drive an 87 supra non-turbo and pulled on him a few cars ahead until around 90 when he just went flying by when I got to 100... must have hit the NOS button or something! I coulda wasted him if I didn't have the A/C on (it's freaking hot out in the desert) and my friend's spare tire along with all the tools he brought. DAMN, I wished I had my 240sx with the sr20 in it.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I drive an '87 Supra too, crazy. You don't see a ton of them around, although mine's a turbo, it's stock other than the head gasket. (had the metal HKS put in) I've never found a civic that could take me on the freeway, I can hit 120 in 4th. :D

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
gogeta,

why do you care about mileage when your going to swap the sr20? :) I'm just trying to find a decent 95-98 240 for around $4k, who cares about the mileage since its going to be rebuilt/or swapped! :D

batman,

My car is an auto and non-turbo = SLOW as hell... I had my head gasket replaced and major tuneup last year, but the engine is about to retire and I'm too lazy to tune it up since I'll probably be selling that to fund my sr20 engine! HEHE

Zclyh3

Banned
Oct 16, 2001
Yeah man. You can have the fastest car in the world. But if that sh!t ain't a stick, then you're still driving a POS. Automatic losers. "I can shift it like a manual." There is no "like". Genuine manual transmission b!tch.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Zclyh3
Yeah man. You can have the fastest car in the world. But if that sh!t ain't a stick, then you're still driving a POS. Automatic losers. "I can shift it like a manual." There is no "like". Genuine manual transmission b!tch.

You OBVIOUSLY have no clue what the hell you are talking about. Sorry but 600 ft/lbs of torque doesn't work well with a manual. I assume you have no clue why automatics are often switched into high horsepower manual cars.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
but since most people can't afford to pay for gas and insurance on a car that is 600 HP it's mostly given that the car commonly has 250 HP or less, and it should be a manual.. also cause it's alot more fun to drive.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
An automatic can be decent with a new torque converter and whatnot, and I'm sure they make manuals for cars with huge amounts of torque; I just prefer manual because it's more fun to drive, and cheaper to fix.

Zclyh3

Banned
Oct 16, 2001
I like countries like Sweden. ALL of their cars are manual transmission. You can only drive an automatic if you're like disabled or something in that country. Everyone should drive or at LEAST learn how to drive an manual transmission.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Yield
but since most people can't afford to pay for gas and insurance on a car that is 600 HP it's mostly given that the car commonly has 250 HP or less, and it should be a manual.. also cause it's alot more fun to drive.

Yes but remember or poster so eloquently stated that you could have the fastest car in the world but it would still be a POS if it was automatic. I don't think a car with 250HP is what he was referring to. He was just spreading his misinformed opinion around. All this does is breed more misinformed people. The typical... oh nice car. Wait is that an AUTO? Really makes me
rolleye.gif

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I like countries like Sweden. ALL of their cars are manual transmission. You can only drive an automatic if you're like disabled or something in that country. Everyone should drive or at LEAST learn how to drive an manual transmission.

I do know how to drive one. You are retreating from you previous stance. You said all automatic cars are POS's. By the way manuals are fun to drive but by no means the end all for a fast car nor to have fun. Regardless, Laust and I seem to deal with these types of statements weekly.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Everyone should drive or at LEAST learn how to drive an manual transmission.

Why?
rolleye.gif

Should everyone learn how to crank start an engine too?

Curse technology!

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
It's not so much sad that you lost to a civic, as it's sad that you lost to a civic on your way home from the race track.

Lunarcade

Apr 5, 2002

I've got a buddy who drives a saab with an auto, 3 speed even (gags)! Saab is Swedish isnt it?

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Millenium

Yes but remember or poster so eloquently stated that you could have the fastest car in the world but it would still be a POS if it was automatic. I don't think a car with 250HP is what he was referring to. He was just spreading his misinformed opinion around. All this does is breed more misinformed people. The typical... oh nice car. Wait is that an AUTO? Really makes me
rolleye.gif

NOS is FAKE SPEED!

... jsut screwing with you, Millenium ;)

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mookow

rolleye.gif

NOS is FAKE SPEED!

LMAO I remember that thread!

Zclyh3

Banned
Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: DaZ

Why?
rolleye.gif

Curse technology!

Well..my brother needed a car for an emergency. There were cars available at home. But sadly, he didn't know how to drive stick. SO...sh!t outta luck.

hehe

Well..I would like to retract my statement about automatics being POSs. IT's the people who brag about "shifting like a manual" I don't like about.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Yeah I am not a fan of NOS myself.
I run with ppl at the track that use NOS and yeah they run good times, but only cause they push the button with a full bottle in the trunk... sucks bag.

I want to go turbo or something on my car, I'll never use NOS... horse crap.

Zclyh3

Banned
Oct 16, 2001
NOS sounds like fun to use. But..of course..it an controlled environment. Not on like the freeway.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Mookow

rolleye.gif

NOS is FAKE SPEED!

LMAO I remember that thread!

cr@p. Looks like I may have restarted it....

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DaZ

Why?
rolleye.gif

Curse technology!

Well..my brother needed a car for an emergency. There were cars available at home. But sadly, he didn't know how to drive stick. SO...sh!t outta luck.

hehe

Well..I would like to retract my statement about automatics being POSs. IT's the people who brag about "shifting like a manual" I don't like about.

The emergency situation is a decent point.. but its not worth teaching everyone to learn manual :)

If you actually ride/drive(in) a(n) new expensive car.. you would be damn surprised at what automatic transmissions can do.. some are incredibly effiecient now..

bcmind

Oct 9, 1999
I was driving back from the SCCA autocross tonite in San Bernadino and some civic was tailgating me so we went at it at around 70mph. I drive an 87 supra non-turbo and pulled on him a few cars ahead until around 90 when he just went flying by when I got to 100... must have hit the NOS button or something! I coulda wasted him if I didn't have the A/C on (it's freaking hot out in the desert) and my friend's spare tire along with all the tools he brought. DAMN, I wished I had my 240sx with the sr20 in it.

oh... that was you... :Q

JK