Got an XFX 4870 1GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Thanks everyone for the kind words. :)

For the autoclocking in ATI Tray Tools:
1)Go to Game Profiles-->Manage profiles
2)In the general tab you select the game executable and set the 3D setting if you want and then save the profile at the bottom of the tab
3)In the hardware tab you choose "manual overclocking" in the "before" section and then choose your OC'd profile from the drop down menu to the right and do the same for the "after" setting but choose your 2D setting profile from the drop down menu and then save the game profile again at the bottom of the screen. (you can change any other settings you want and save the profile as well)

That worked for me...it automatically loaded the settings when I launched the game.

EDIT: Actually there's a better way to overclock automatically:
Go to "hardware" then "auto overclocking" and you can set which profile to load at game start and game end...that way you don't need a profile for every game.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Thilan! Fold on that beast! Gogogo!

So how's your gaming experience compared to what you had before? Care to do a personal review between your 8800GT and your 4870?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: geokilla
Thilan! Fold on that beast! Gogogo!

So how's your gaming experience compared to what you had before? Care to do a personal review between your 8800GT and your 4870?

I do folding with my PS3 sometimes but I don't want to do it with the card...plus I turn off the computer during the day when I'm not home anyway.

As for between the 8800GT and 4870...there isn't a massive difference in the games I play (playing Witcher mostly right now) but it is faster and I think I'll be set for about another year. Also my GT was OCed to 730/1900/950 so it was fairly fast to begin with. I should have done some tests with the GT before I removed it but I forgot unfortunately. With the 4870 in the Farcry 2 benchmark, I get avg 43 fps at 1920x1200, DX10 ultra high, high trees, and 2AA and that's not bad I think...I doubt the GT could get near that at that res.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
wait, you got a brand new top of the line card for 300$, and the first thing you did was tear it apart and take pictures? :p

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: taltamir
wait, you got a brand new top of the line card for 300$, and the first thing you did was tear it apart and take pictures? :p

Of course :). XFX allow you to mod the cooling anyway. Plus the stock cooler was too loud for my taste even at 40% (my comp is watercooled and the fans undervolted so it's not loud to begin with...I can hear hard drive seeks so I'd say it's fairly quiet).

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Very nice, are you overclocking?

I wish I could 'bolt' a GB of DDR5 on my 4850, 800/1023(2046) is so lopsided :p

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: dug777

I just have it at 800/1000 (lol looks like your card may be actually faster than mine :) )...I don't really need to push any higher cause I'm not really playing anything too intensive right now.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: dug777

I just have it at 800/1000 (lol looks like your card may be actually faster than mine :) )...I don't really need to push any higher cause I'm not really playing anything too intensive right now.

Your 'quad-pumped' GDDR5 obliterates my GDDR3 :eek:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Nice temps... I'd really like to try my hand at watercooling some day. I don't care for absolute fastest OC's, but it might be nice to get really good OC's at very little noise. :)

That being said, my temps aren't too far off of yours. I guess that's a testament too how good Sapphire's 'Toxic' Cooler is. At 820/4600 (1150 actual) I'm hitting 53-54C at load with the fan set to auto. Though it is rather cool in my room, I'd guess 68-70F. We'll see how it does in the summer. :)

Out of curiosity, for a CPU, GPU, and Chipset what does a decent watercooling set up cost? Is it worth buying it all as a kit or generally better to piece together a set up?

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Originally posted by: thilan29
EDIT: Actually there's a better way to overclock automatically:

Go to "hardware" then "auto overclocking" and you can set which profile to load at game start and game end...that way you don't need a profile for every game.
Thanks for the info. Tested it last night works great, and I've been doing it manually for months now.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
Out of curiosity, for a CPU, GPU, and Chipset what does a decent watercooling set up cost? Is it worth buying it all as a kit or generally better to piece together a set up?

I'd say about $200-250 can get you a decent, pieced together set of components...it's generally better to piece together but sometimes you can get one of those Swiftech kits that are pretty good. My first try at watercooling involved a Gigabyte kit that unfortunately mixed metals (leads to corrosion) and the plastic top on the CPU block ended up cracking (thankfully I caught it before it did any damage). Since then I bought all the components I wanted separately (check my sig for pics of the setup) so you can get exactly the components you want to get the performance you want (ie. I didn't care too much about ultimate performance but more about quietness and size since it had to fit in a small case).

Originally posted by: SSChevy2001
Thanks for the info. Tested it last night works great, and I've been doing it manually for months now.

Glad to hear. :)