Got a TB skin test and wifes three legged dog turned 18 years old

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
TB skin test is inflamed, swollen, burning,,, I think the lady gave me battery acid.

Wifes three legged wiener dog turned 18 years old today. It has been shot (neighbors kid shot the dog), run over, and given handfuls of m&ms,,, and the thing will not die.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Lick his mouth and give him TB.

EDIT: I've read that TB is spread anally so you might want to lick his bottom too.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
TB skin test is inflamed, swollen, burning,,, I think the lady gave me battery acid.

Wifes three legged wiener dog turned 18 years old today. It has been shot (neighbors kid shot the dog), run over, and given handfuls of m&ms,,, and the thing will not die.

You're still married?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
If it's swollen, the test is positive. It means you've been exposed to tuberculosis.

;) Gee, and you were the one who is against vaccines. Nice knowing ya'! Can I have your stuffs?

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
If it's swollen, the test is positive. It means you've been exposed to tuberculosis.

;) Gee, and you were the one who is against vaccines. Nice knowing ya'! Can I have your stuffs?

I don't think there's a vaccine against TB.

4eigner

Oct 30, 2012
With TB if you've been exposed to it, you can take medication to make it "dormant'? I remember as a kid having to take pills everyday for about 6 months when I moved to the US.

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
If its swollen and burning that means you are positive for TB. Your next step is chest xray. I know this disease very well. I f you have TB you will be put on a 4 drug regimen that are really toxic for 2 months and reduce to 2 drugs the rest of the treatment. It is a 6 months to 9 months treatment. If you are drug resistant then it might be a 2 year treatment.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
If its swollen and burning that means you are positive for TB. Your next step is chest xray. I know this disease very well. I f you have TB you will be put on a 4 drug regimen that are really toxic for 2 months and reduce to 2 drugs the rest of the treatment. It is a 6 months to 9 months treatment. If you are drug resistant then it might be a 2 year treatment.

Is that why my ass is coughing blood?

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
With TB if you've been exposed to it, you can take medication to make it "dormant'? I remember as a kid having to take pills everyday for about 6 months when I moved to the US.

It can go dormant on its own, for some time, if the immune system is functioning properly. A full drug regimen (6 months or more) can kill all the bacteria.

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Is that why my ass is coughing blood?

coughing blood coming out of your ass indicates you have some serious issues. Coughing blood does not have anything to do with tb, but in some cases it can be related. If you test positive which is not comforting you should get chest xray otherwise you will be infecting your loved ones.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Are you coughing and then blood is coming out of your ass or are you shitting blood?

Sounds like your dog has a better life than you :p

4eigner

Oct 30, 2012
It can go dormant on its own, for some time, if the immune system is functioning properly. A full drug regimen (6 months or more) can kill all the bacteria.

Ah, maybe that's what I did. I was only 10 when I was taking the pills so memory might be hazy, plus my parents and doctor never fully explained why I was taking the pills.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

If it's latent, will it show up on chest x-rays?

I never had a skin test, but I have had chest x-rays.

During high school, a girlfriend at the time had told me she had had a positive skin test at a recent doctor's visit (may have been part of her initial medical screening for the Navy).
Am I gonna die (sooner rather than later, that is :p)?

Feel like I might be on the verge of dying now, come to think of it. Can't quit hacking up nasty shit (no fever, third or fourth day of the hackfest though - body might win out on this one without stressing too much! :D).

4eigner

Oct 30, 2012

I never had a skin test, but I have had chest x-rays.

During high school, a girlfriend at the time had told me she had had a positive skin test at a recent doctor's visit (may have been part of her initial medical screening for the Navy).
Am I gonna die (sooner rather than later, that is :p)?

Feel like I might be on the verge of dying now, come to think of it. Can't quit hacking up nasty shit (no fever, third or fourth day of the hackfest though - body might win out on this one without stressing too much! :D).

That sucks. I remember my grandfather died of TB when I was a kid. He sounded like he was drowning everytime he coughed.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001

It can, but doesn't always. There's a small part of the population that tests positive for the skin test, but shows no other signs of infection.

People who've had the vaccine will show a positive skin test also.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
It can, but doesn't always. There's a small part of the population that tests positive for the skin test, but shows no other signs of infection.

People who've had the vaccine will show a positive skin test also.

I just read 90% of people who have the TB infection actually have a latent infection, and there's only a 10% chance of it ever becoming an active infection (in their lifetime).

Also, apparently "it is not thought to be contagious" when speaking of latent infections - and also it's not guaranteed to catch even if you get some of the good stuff from someone with an active infection (or something to that effect - it has a 22% infection rate, according to what I read on wiki... I may be interpreting that wrong).

So, it would be logical for a "small part" of the population to test positive but seem healthy - but that's the majority of TB-positive it seems.

That sucks. I remember my grandfather died of TB when I was a kid. He sounded like he was drowning everytime he coughed.

I should be good - because she seemed quite healthy at the time (it was suggested by the doc it was basically guaranteed to be a latent infection caught from someone, "who knows when"), and as I stated above, apparently latent infections aren't contagious.
I could have it, who knows, and I may have got it when I was 8 or 10, let alone when I dated her.
And I may still be TB-free. I hope so, that's a lethal thing I'd like to avoid carrying around in my body like a ticking time-bomb that may or may not be ultimately missing the fuse. :p

As for this moment, I hope it's just a cold. Shouldn't be the flu, considering 4 days into apparent symptoms should have me rendered unable to do much but lay on the couch... I fear a sinus infection, those almost always set up shop in my sinuses for a few weeks with varying episodes of fever.

I had a cold in August, of all times, but my body seemed generally able to fend it off in about this same time-frame, without getting to a point of feeling absolutely miserable.

I don't think I've ever had bronchitis or pneumonia, and I sure as hell don't want to start now. Damn you body, you better keep putting up the good fight and win this one in the early volleys if it's something like bronchitis.