Got a superior movie idea.

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
Since it will be a Hollywood movie, you have to excuse the huge lapse in logic and attempts to make things simple.

Idea is as follows:

Background: 17th century world renowned American Mathematician had some interesting math hypothesis (is that right, something which only exists in idea and hasn't been proven yet?), one of which had the potential to change the whole way we see numbers. The benefits of it would be HUGE. He did finally prove it but at the same time he was so disillusioned with the world that he hid it. But everyone else thinks he never solved it and died.

1950's Harvard: A Math Grad student is obsessed with this 17th century American Mathematician. He thinks he can solve his hypothesis and earn the rewards of discovering it. Everyone thinks he is a little crazy because the whole thing is unsolvable (well that's what everyone thinks). Math grad goes on tour trying to trace back the 17th century guy's life. In his quest, he comes across the documents well hidden in a basement. He discovers those exact papers. Instead of telling the truth, he tells the world he solved it. Everyone thinks he is the next Eienstein and instant riches come to him in the form of high paying job offers, etc etc.

Present Day: Math Grad is now a multi billionaire. He capitalized on his idea and started a corporation, and is now the biggest techo hot shot in the world. So far he is the hero..

Until... one guy (our new hero) finds out the truth. He too was obsessed with the same 17th century American Mathematician and tracing all of his work, he concludes that there is no way the now Billionaire could have solved it. To top that off, in his own search, he finds that the documents were hidden.

Now, he is going to out the Billionaire. The Billionaire will do anything and everything to protect his discovery and prevent everyone from finding out the truth. A trail of blackmail, vicioius threats, daring escapes and ingenious plans follows. eventually everyone finds out the truth.

What do you all think?

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
You mean The Da Vinci Code?

I don't know that your movie would necessarily transition well, going from 1700s to 1950s to contemporary times. I also don't know why anyone would listen to some random schmuck who said the billionaire couldn't have solved it. If somebody popped up right now and said Bill Gates had nothing to do with the original version of Windows, who would listen? More importantly, who would give a fuck?

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
Originally posted by: Sqube
You mean The Da Vinci Code?

I don't know that your movie would necessarily transition well, going from 1700s to 1950s to contemporary times. I also don't know why anyone would listen to some random schmuck who said the billionaire couldn't have solved it. If somebody popped up right now and said Bill Gates had nothing to do with the original version of Windows, who would listen? More importantly, who would give a fuck?

It doesn't matter who will listen, the Billionaire will listen, and since he knows that he lied a little bit, he will be concerned.

I have never seen the Da Vinci Code, is it similar.

Mar 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Printer Bandit
Originally posted by: Mahaguru
Since it will be a Hollywood movie, you have to excuse the huge lapse in logic and attempts to make things simple.

Idea is as follows:

Background: 17th century world renowned American Mathematician had some interesting math hypothesis (is that right, something which only exists in idea and hasn't been proven yet?), one of which had the potential to change the whole way we see numbers. The benefits of it would be HUGE. He did finally prove it but at the same time he was so disillusioned with the world that he hid it. But everyone else thinks he never solved it and died.

1950's Harvard: A Math Grad student is obsessed with this 17th century American Mathematician. He thinks he can solve his hypothesis and earn the rewards of discovering it. Everyone thinks he is a little crazy because the whole thing is unsolvable (well that's what everyone thinks). Math grad goes on tour trying to trace back the 17th century guy's life. In his quest, he comes across the documents well hidden in a basement. He discovers those exact papers. Instead of telling the truth, he tells the world he solved it. Everyone thinks he is the next Eienstein and instant riches come to him in the form of high paying job offers, etc etc.

Present Day: Math Grad is now a multi billionaire. He capitalized on his idea and started a corporation, and is now the biggest techo hot shot in the world. So far he is the hero..

Until... one guy (our new hero) finds out the truth. He too was obsessed with the same 17th century American Mathematician and tracing all of his work, he concludes that there is no way the now Billionaire could have solved it. To top that off, in his own search, he finds that the documents were hidden.

Now, he is going to out the Billionaire. The Billionaire will do anything and everything to protect his discovery and prevent everyone from finding out the truth. [movie voice guy] A trail of blackmail, vicioius threats, daring escapes and ingenious plans follows. eventually everyone finds out the truth.[/movie voice guy]

What do you all think?

that should go in the trailer.

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Did you just see The Fountain?

Keep working on it. ;)

No I haven't. I just looked it up on IMDB. Doesn't look similiar to my well though out story.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I feel like i've seen this movie before. And why doesn't hte billionaire just burn the notes. Without that there's no evidence

S

SlitheryDee

"I've heard this before" and "I've heard something like this before" are so close together that they are indistinguishable...

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
Originally posted by: Mo0o
I feel like i've seen this movie before. And why doesn't hte billionaire just burn the notes. Without that there's no evidence

Well see that's where the intrigue part comes in. I haven't thought every little detail, this is just a 10,000 ft view.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
and what's the big deal if they find out he didn't actually solve it. i mean, he might be shamed but wouldn't he still have his money

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
The billionaire has no reason to destroy the new researcher. Even if he admits that he's a fraud he still has billions of dollars and is well into his 70's.

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
and what's the big deal if they find out he didn't actually solve it. i mean, he might be shamed but wouldn't he still have his money

Hmm.. good point.

Maybe i need to drop the him becoming a billionaire part. I should change it to that he becomes a world renowned scientist. If people find out he cheated, it would seriously hurt his reputation.

Then it can become a battle between two smart folks.

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: Mahaguru

Hmm.. good point.

Maybe i need to drop the him becoming a billionaire part. I should change it to that he becomes a world renowned scientist. If people find out he cheated, it would seriously hurt his reputation.

Then it can become a battle between two smart folks.

How about the early part of the movie being about the two scientists, who know nothing about each other, following the same clues to get to the secret papers. They happen to meet each other in the ancient tomb that the papers are stored in and just as the hero is about to open the sarcophagus, the villain (who has been following the same leads) throws a Black Adder at him. The adder bites our hero and causes him to be hospitalized. After being comatose for 2 years our hero finds that he is no longer pregnant and...wait...wrong movie.

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
Originally posted by: chuckywang
17th century American? Hahahahahaha.

DOPE!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't think of that. Ok make it someone in the 1800's.

Well looks like my whole idea has been torn to shreds :cry;

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
Well I guess since this didn't work out, I have two more..

1) Evil overlord captures space princess. She is able to send message out. Message is sort of lost for a while, but then the true recepient receives it. He is confused so he seeks advice from a wise person. Wise person advices him to fight the dark side. And thus begins the saga.

2) Average man learns the dark secret of the world; It's not real. Now he must join the resistance to fight the computer which is running the world.

Yeah.. these ideas are great.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Here's a couple, although I think the first has been done:

1. DNA of Christ is found and a group of scientists go about cloning him. Hit squad is sent and wipes out entire group save for one scientist who escapes with a small sample of DNA. Hit squad is still after scientist and a mysterious stranger sent from an unknown group helps keep him safe. Meanwhile, subplot unravels making it seem that the hit squad is a band of Satan worshipers intent on stopping the second coming of Christ and mysterious person protecting scientist is from the Catholic church. However, as movie nears the end it is found the opposite is true. Christ is cloned and brings about world chaos and war, not because Biblical prophecy is fulfilled but because the clone is simply a man. The essence of Jesus cannot be cloned. The cloned Jesus abuses the adoration and worship he receives because power corrupts.

2. Man fed up with life sells his soul to the devil for the power to save the world (telekinetic abilities, super strength, super speed, etc). He starts out by trying to be a superhero but when the crooks he catches get off due to legal technicalities only to kill/steal/rape again and the cops consider him a criminal, he goes berserk and decides the only way to save the world is to rule it himself. He takes on the entire world and single handedly conquers the earth. However, he has become that which he despises and is a merciless and heartless ruler. One of his servants was a woman he knew before he sold his soul and she secretly admired and loved him before all this happened. When he kills her for a trivial mistake, she tells him how she felt about him. Realizing what a monster he has become and the life he threw away, he commits suicide and consigns himself to an eternity in hell so the world can heal without him.

ppdes

May 16, 2004
Nobody cares about math, though. Make it something cool instead. How about the secret to eternal life or curing any disease or something. The villain could sell the cure to only rich people and the hero could want to help everyone or something.

Also, mathematicians suck. Have it be discovered and hidden by some primitive tribe with hot women who don't wear much. They should also eat monkey brains and have traps with huge rolling boulders.

Old papers in a basement are lame too. Have guy number one track down the last living descendent or a secret society or something to make the discovery. People like character interaction, they don't like complex details.