Got a shoot tonight, cant decide which lens goes on what body

Oct 9, 1999
So I got a concert shoot tonight. But before the shoot happens they want band portrait.

I need to reduce my weight, I am carrying too much gear otherwise. I am going to go with my two fastest lenses that I have with me right now.

EF 50mm f1.4 & Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I may carry the EFS 18-55 IS with me just in case.

These will go on either body. Canon EOS 40D & EOS XS (not taking the 30D)

The 40D has available 3200ISO (rarely used in concerts at that ISO), the XS has a clean ISO 1600.
I figure I can switch lenses between bodies if I have to but I rather not.
I am carrying my flash stands, umbrellas (if needed), 3 flashes, triggers, bungie etc etc.
I need to reduce weight.

xchangx

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
I would highly recommend that you hold off on the portraits for another day. That's a little too much to do right before a performance.

Oct 9, 1999
looks like I am screwed. All gear is going since the band portrait picture is being picked up my MTV for the new season of Jersey Shore (or current season).

I get photo credit on that one :)

xchangx

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
Congrats! You should get a little chunk of change for that, not just credit. It's not like MTV doesn't have money.

Oct 9, 1999
Well I'm not exactly happy. By the time we got to the outdoor shots it was super dark. Camera had hard time focusing. I was stuck using 18-55 cause I don't have a 17-50 f2.8. The focus was very hard. Manual was impossible. I had someone light them up with q iPhone flash to allow focus. I have to check on the pictures. One of my triggers wasn't triggering. So it was 430exII to the rescue.

Oct 9, 1999
gah.. these pictures are NOT sharp as I want them to be.. ugh!!!!

I am not a photoshop person. There was very little light and I was running wide open. I couldnt use the f2.8 or faster lenses cause there was very little room if any so I was stuck using the 18-55 IS lens which in itself isnt a bad lens.

I couldnt keep adjusting more than I wanted to due to time constraints from the band.

I'll send a link