Got a monitor as a gift from Best Buy

kmrivers

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
1,541
0
0
Hey everybody. Well I just got a 24" LCD as a gift. I took it out of the box and the crystal is cracked. Needless to say I am a little bummed. But, I am worried, will Best Buy give me a hassle returning it? I want a different monitor anyhow that Best Buy doesn't offer. Luckily, the person paid with cash, so I can get cash back and not store credit.

Any words of advice. They are closed now, otherwise I would head in there tonight. I will be going tomorrow. Thanks everyone!
 

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
3,523
0
0
Originally posted by: kmrivers
Hey everybody. Well I just got a 24" LCD as a gift. I took it out of the box and the crystal is cracked. Needless to say I am a little bummed. But, I am worried, will Best Buy give me a hassle returning it? I want a different monitor anyhow that Best Buy doesn't offer. Luckily, the person paid with cash, so I can get cash back and not store credit.

Any words of advice. They are closed now, otherwise I would head in there tonight. I will be going tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

do you have the actual receipt? or a gift receipt? if its a gift receipt, the best you can do is getting store credit. if you have the actual receipt, you can get a refund to whatever the original purchase was paid with. That said..you are going to have a difficult time convincing them that it arrived broken, and it wasnt you who broke it. was there any damage to the box?
 

AlgaeEater

Senior member
May 9, 2006
960
0
0
Go early in the morning or before closing when they're in a better mood. They'll take you a bit more seriously then if there's a giant line of people wanting to return stuff.
 

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
3,567
7
81
Originally posted by: AlgaeEater
Go early in the morning or before closing when they're in a better mood. They'll take you a bit more seriously then if there's a giant line of people wanting to return stuff.

seconded, but not right at opening, they'll probably be waking up and still cranky, gotta love retail

 

kmrivers

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
1,541
0
0
I have a gift receipt. I was told that since it was piad in cash I would get cash back if return it. I can probably get the real reciept. No damage to the box. I plan on going at night, probably around 7 or 8. Seriously, I pulled it out of the box and, turned it on and it was busted.

Thanks everybody.
 

PBMangan

Member
Jan 29, 2006
60
0
0
Working for another retail chain (no associated with Electronics) all I ever hear about is the customer service reputation of of Best Buy and Target. At my work we will return anything with a receipt REGRDLESS!!! But I am surprised how many people recall being burned by BestBuy when they have this "Incredible" service policy. Tell me how it turns out.
 

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
30,275
10,783
136
Be nice about it & you should have no trouble at all getting an exchange or store credit ... I'm not sure if you'll be able to get a cash refund though.
 

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
6,587
702
126
Originally posted by: PBMangan
Working for another retail chain (no associated with Electronics) all I ever hear about is the customer service reputation of of Best Buy and Target. At my work we will return anything with a receipt REGRDLESS!!! But I am surprised how many people recall being burned by BestBuy when they have this "Incredible" service policy. Tell me how it turns out.


Amen, I work at sears and we will take returns on anything with a receipt, and many things without a receipt.

90 day satisfaction guarantee, ftw.
 

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
9,148
0
0
Originally posted by: deadlyapp
Originally posted by: PBMangan
Working for another retail chain (no associated with Electronics) all I ever hear about is the customer service reputation of of Best Buy and Target. At my work we will return anything with a receipt REGRDLESS!!! But I am surprised how many people recall being burned by BestBuy when they have this "Incredible" service policy. Tell me how it turns out.


Amen, I work at sears and we will take returns on anything with a receipt, and many things without a receipt.

90 day satisfaction guarantee, ftw.

I love how Sears, HBC and other department stores have really lax return policies. However, I wonder how this affects business. 90 days is a pretty long period for someone to hold onto it a few weeks, then realize they don't want it/need it. Lot of customers who 'forgot' about it until 31 days later can't be "screwed" over this way.