got a letter from google!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Tizyler
Originally posted by: KB
"Your name came highly recommended to me recently via a Google engineer. "

This is fishy. Why wouldn't they mention the engineers name?

Whats the email address of the person? Respond with a few inquiries like who recommended you and why and if they ask for money tell them to f*** o**.

That is strange...

S/he even gave me her contact info (phone number and such, area code is 650)

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: potoba

Whats the email address of the person? Respond with a few inquiries like who recommended you and why and if they ask for money tell them to f*** o**.

That is strange...

You should look her up on the google employee directory, if they have one.

potoba

Oct 17, 2006

That is strange...

You should look her up on the google employee directory, if they have one.

her name appeared everywhere when i searched by google.com.
she was referred as Technical Sourcer, Google, Inc., Mountain View, CA in ...

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Just curious how getting multiple undergrad degrees works. Do you essentially start as a Junior if you already have a degree?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
Just curious how getting multiple undergrad degrees works. Do you essentially start as a Junior if you already have a degree?

Just meet the requirements. CS/EE/Math are all so similar that only a few classes will get you the other degree.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, basically. You only have to complete the requirements for the degree and can disregard other classes usually required for grad. I'm looking into it myself, so...

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: spidey07

Just meet the requirements. CS/EE/Math are all so similar that only a few classes will get you the other degree.

No, I got my EE degree from another country and i did everything over again when i came to the states. If i sit down and count all the credits i took, it was 150 for EE and 180 for math/chem and 80 for the other degree that i didn't have time to finish.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Descartes
So much for the confidentiality part, eh?

Congrats though!

Thanks! I'm not joining google, though.

Just my opinion, don't mean to offend you, but choosing a 4th degree over an engineering position with google sounds like a bad move. You're not just passing up good income but you're also passing up a potentially fantastic resource for your career with tons of good references and experience.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Phokus
It is no surprise that our team is populated by a pool of talent which includes former NASA scientists, Academy Award winners, open-source gurus, and renowned professors.

Which Academy Award winners work at Google? That's interesting...

There are Academy Awards in technical categories. Probably someone who built a server farm to render a Pixar film or something like that.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001

Congrats though!

Why?

Why?!!!
It's quite obvious he is a career student.
As long as he stays in school, the parents pay his way.
I'm 50 years old & I know a former High School classmate who is STILL attending classes, still living with Mommy. He has more degrees & doctorates than I have aches & pains, & that is a lot!

BTW, this sounds like some sort of phishing e-mail to me.
I'll bet pcslookout got the same one when he posted his "I got accepted for a job offer by Google" thread!

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
Wow, I wonder how this scam works?

It would totally make my day if this is a scam and the same kind of letter pcslookout got :laugh:

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: jupiter57

Congrats though!

Why?

Why?!!!
I'm 50 years old & I know a former High School classmate who is STILL attending classes, still living with Mommy. He has more degrees & doctorates than I have aches & pains, & that is a lot!

I'll bet pcslookout got the same one when he posted his "I got accepted for a job offer by Google" thread!
Well, my parents didn't have to shell out a penny for my college education. So you can keep YOUR theory yourself.

I just want to get my Ph.D. It'll take me farther than working for Google. It is a legit email, but it doesn't matter since I wont leave grad school behind at any cost.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Congrats though!

Why?

Why?!!!

Well, my parents didn't have to shell out a penny for my college education. So you can keep YOUR theory yourself.

I just want to get my Ph.D. It'll take me farther than working for Google. It is a legit email, but it doesn't matter since I wont leave grad school behind at any cost.

Don't most large companies have some sort of tuition reimberssment? It might be benificial. I know a few grad-school engineering majors, and they're all but getting a free ride from whatever company they've signed on with.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004

Congrats though!

Why?

Why?!!!

I guess you haven't heard, Google is the holy grail of engineering/programming/technology. The guys that wrote your textbooks are probably working at Google now.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
This is not as big a deal as you might think. She's just doing her job as a technical recruiter in trying to find leads. Some will work out, many won't.

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: tfinch2

Congrats though!

Why?

Why?!!!

I guess you haven't heard, Google is the holy grail of engineering/programming/technology. The guys that wrote your textbooks are probably working at Google now.

Neh, but Ph.D is not about coursework... I never buy textbook, ever...
astaro: I dont really care whether it's a big deal or not. Like I said, I dont have any intention of working for google. I have a personal life to live too...

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Phokus
It is no surprise that our team is populated by a pool of talent which includes former NASA scientists, Academy Award winners, open-source gurus, and renowned professors.

Which Academy Award winners work at Google? That's interesting...

Lassie?

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

Neh, but Ph.D is not about coursework... I never buy textbook, ever...
astaro: I dont really care whether it's a big deal or not. Like I said, I dont have any intention of working for google. I have a personal life to live too...

You are very naïve.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
If the e-mail is legit you would be a fool not to at least contact the person and see what she has to say. Passing on a chance to work at Google is like winning the lotto but throwing away the winning ticket.