Got a job offer today, but I'm very close to an offer at another company as well.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I finished the second interview for job 1 last week. They finished checking my references today and called me tonight (at 8:30pm?!) to make an offer and sent me an email with an attached offer letter. (including salary)

I went on the second and final interview for job #2 today and was told I that she needed to speak with the other people I'd interviewed and had one more interview (tomorrow I believe) but that she planned on hiring me. I was the only canidate she'd called in for a second interview. She said she would let me know by the end of the week. From my brief salary discussion I believe they would offer me as much if not more then the first company.

There aren't any glaring deficiencies with either company, in fact they both have amazing benefits packages and are in strong stable fields. Without knowing all the specifics for job #2's salary I feel like the company may have a better fit and a more enjoyable work environment for me. I'm not sure but I also think the potential for advancement might be stronger as well. I had a great rapport with both people (potential bosses) though. Its a hard decision but I'm sort of leaning towards job #2 provided the salary is at least a match.

Now I have the offer letter for job #1 and I want to have a offer letter for job #2 before I make a decision. I certainly don't want to toss the still great opportunity for job #1 without knowing for sure job #2 is mine. I'm not sure its a good idea to stall on accepting job #1 for more then a day.

I'm thinking I'm going to call job #2 and just explain the situation. She may want to check my references (which could be done in the morning most likely). And hopefully she can make me an official offer by the afternoon.

Is this a good plan? Opinions?

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
There is no reason you have to accept the first offer in one day. It took them a week to make the offer after your last interview. Call them back, thank them, and say you are evaluating several other offers and need until (insert day) to make a decision.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Call job#1 first thing tomorrow and let them know that you would like several days to consider the offer before you make a final decision. They know people interview for more than 1 job and should be cool with it.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
This is a good position to be in -- the fact that you have an offer in hand makes you more desireable.

You have the right to share your problem with the 2nd company, telling them about your dilemma, and asking for an answer sooner if possible. Be positive, it can't hurt to tell them that you like their company, etc.

About the only way this can hurt is if that 2nd company interprets this as a pressure tactic -- immediately or even down the road as a latent regret about your hiring. So do what you can to give the impression that this is not that, and is just an honest concern of yours, which from what I read it is.

If the 2nd company can't move ahead any faster, or if there's discomfort with that, then as suggested above, ask the 1st company what sort of time constraints they have. A deadline should have been included in the offer letter; if not, then don't just assume the worst. Be up-front, again, mentioning that you're interested in the company, but want to consider your best options and are expecting another offer shortly.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Thanks guys.

Yeah, its a great position to be in...great enough that I honestly didn't really think about what I would have to do if I ended up here. I just focused on doing my best in all my interviews. It'd be easier if I could find a big difference between the companies (compensation/stability wise) but they both strike me as very strong companies with very excellent benefits.

Yeah, I've had a lot of good prospects after a pretty serious drought up here just recently. It also helps that I've open myself up to positions that aren't exactly what I usually do.

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
i was in the same situation not too long ago.

i had a job offer but another job interview coming up in a week.

i told company #1 my situation and they waited 1.5 weeks for me to give them an answer.

i told company #2 i had a job offer from company #1 and that i needed to make a decision soon so company #2 made me an offer less than 1 day later.

explain your situation with BOTH companies. they will understand especially if they have good HR people.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Good news. Called job#2 and they already had a letter drafted for me they were planning to send this afternoon. She has one interview that she doesn't think is going to go anywhere (which is why they already drafted the letter, poor bastard) The salary is exactly the same...great. No easy decisions here. But at least I'm on equal ground now with both of them.

Runes911

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Good news. Called job#2 and they already had a letter drafted for me they were planning to send this afternoon. She has one interview that she doesn't think is going to go anywhere (which is why they already drafted the letter, poor bastard) The salary is exactly the same...great. No easy decisions here. But at least I'm on equal ground now with both of them.

What field?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Runes911
Originally posted by: PingSpike

What field?

One position is in software support, the other software validation (testing), I've done both before. Another thing that makes it a bit difficult is its sort of a crossroads. But then again, using their tuition reimbursment benefit I could springboard into some software development position or another IT position. I'm thinking the larger company is going to offer the most opportunities there, and I've also met some first hand examples of people jumping up into better positions and switching to a different department at the same time. In the future when my wife and I have children I may be called upon to support us all on one salary for awhile, so I need to think about advancement now.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I chose job #2. People in this thread were correct, once a company has chosen a person they don't really want give you up. Company #1 pretty much left the door open in case things didn't work out so that was comforting.

I was really not looking forward to making the phone call to let him know I declining the offer, but sending an email would be the cowards way out. And he was upfront with me so I felt they certainly deserved the same!

I'm really excited, this change will abolish a lot of healthcare related costs my wife and I have in addition to giving me a salary boost. If we just keep doing like we are our house purchase goal is within reach now instead of more of an intangible dream that we talk about.