Got a job offer, how soon do I call back?!

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I got a job offer at work today and I'm wondering how soon should I call back. I work at Best Buy right now (yes, you can all laugh) and it's a pretty crappy job IMO considering they pay little, demand a lot, and thers no commision. They expect to you attach like 4+ things onto every freakin sale which is just simply being a jack@ss just trying to sell stuff IMO. But anyways, I've grown tired of it and was planning on quitting soon, and I just got a job offer from someone I helped out today. I was nice and helped him out a lot for over 30 min. so he said hes always looking for good part time people. He gave me his card (its his business) and he even asked for my number just in case. When do I call back? Tomorrow? A day or two? I hope this works out, espeically since he said I would definitely get paid more. :)

ASAP. They want iterested people, not ones that are too lazy to call. You wait on dates, not on jobs.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
If he is serious, he will appreciate the prompt response and punctuality.

Call first thing in the morning.

-PAB

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by: BigPotato
this isn't like dating...

call him first thing tomorrow! show initiative and interest!!

you'd think this decision should be a no-brainer..

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Yep 8:00AM Wednesday morning, if you dont get him, LEAVE A MESSAGE.

Remind him who you are, and that you were excited about the opportunity, and wanted to contact him ASAP.

Mister T

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Sluggo

Remind him who you are, and that you were excited about the opportunity, and wanted to contact him ASAP.

I would say more like 9:15-9:30 am.....

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: IcemanJer

Hehe well sorry! I'm pretty new to the job market as Best Buy is pretty much my first "real" job if you can call it that. I'm only 19, give me a break. :p I don't know how you professionals work...

I have summer school, 9-11. Should I really call before, or is after okay? Dang thats early... 8:00 am.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Sluggo

Yessir, that's the way! :) Good luck.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Gr1mL0cK
Originally posted by: IcemanJer

Hehe well sorry! I'm pretty new to the job market as Best Buy is pretty much my first "real" job if you can call it that. I'm only 19, give me a break. :p I don't know how you professionals work...

I have summer school, 9-11. Should I really call before, or is after okay? Dang thats early... 8:00 am.

That very last sentence...last three words shows your age. [YODA] You have much to learn, young Skywalker. [/YODA] I get up at 0515 and go to Job#1. Then, three nights per week, I leave Job#1 and go to Job#2 and get home at 0030 or so...on those nights, I typically get 2.5 hours of sleep. I am almost twice your age and have been doing this for 5 years+ straight. Responsibility can be a bitch sometimes. :p Now, enter the adult world, stop popping EX at the clubs and get your ass to work.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
That very last sentence...last three words shows your age. [YODA] You have much to learn, young Skywalker. [/YODA] I get up at 0515 and go to Job#1. Then, three nights per week, I leave Job#1 and go to Job#2 and get home at 0030 or so...on those nights, I typically get 2.5 hours of sleep. I am almost twice your age and have been doing this for 5 years+ straight. Responsibility can be a bitch sometimes. :p Now, enter the adult world, stop popping EX at the clubs and get your ass to work.

Hehe yeah I know, if its what it takes of course I'll do it. Dang, 2.5 hours of sleep?! I would honestly die doing that or fall asleep in the car or at work or something. I'm responsible. :) I'm probably one of the most "clean" 19 year olds you'll find in this world. But anyways, thanks for your help/advice people.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
So, you're going to work at a gay bar eh?

Where did that come from? His card shows a Travel Agency... although he said he was in Orange County, and the card is in Los Angeles... I really hope it can fit my schedule and location. Best Buy really sux0rs.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001

Hehe yeah I know, if its what it takes of course I'll do it. Dang, 2.5 hours of sleep?! I would honestly die doing that or fall asleep in the car or at work or something. I'm responsible. :) I'm probably one of the most "clean" 19 year olds you'll find in this world. But anyways, thanks for your help/advice people.

Good, you should be proud of yourself. :) It's always self-uplifting to watch your friends waste away in jail or in rehab or on the unemployment line b/c of their own fault. You keep right on keepin' on. :cool:

Oh, I have fallen asleep at my desk at Job#1 many times. Even busted my lip open b/c my face hit the KB.
rolleye.gif
Serves me right. Oh well *shrugs* That's what happens when you have champagne taste on a beer pocket. Job#2 nets me about an extra $15K/year tax free (tips) so I get to live large on a budget and have a 24 year old GF. Hey, that's YOUNG to ME. :D

Doomguy

Platinum Member
May 28, 2000
Those tips aren't tax-free. You're supposed to put them down when you file taxes.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Doomguy
Those tips aren't tax-free. You're supposed to put them down when you file taxes.

If Enron can not pay taxes, then hey..... :D

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
I got a job offer at work today and I'm wondering how soon should I call back. I work at Best Buy right now (yes, you can all laugh) and it's a pretty crappy job IMO considering they pay little, demand a lot, and thers no commision. They expect to you attach like 4+ things onto every freakin sale which is just simply being a jack@ss just trying to sell stuff IMO. But anyways, I've grown tired of it and was planning on quitting soon, and I just got a job offer from someone I helped out today. I was nice and helped him out a lot for over 30 min. so he said hes always looking for good part time people. He gave me his card (its his business) and he even asked for my number just in case. When do I call back? Tomorrow? A day or two? I hope this works out, espeically since he said I would definitely get paid more. :)

Life is not a game. You should never wait on something just to wait. The only reason you wait on accepting this is because you need to think about it and make sure it is the right job for you. If you want it, accept it now. If you don't want it, reject it now. If you are not sure, then tell them now that you need some time to think about it.

diskop

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Garet Jax

Life is not a game. You should never wait on something just to wait. The only reason you wait on accepting this is because you need to think about it and make sure it is the right job for you. If you want it, accept it now. If you don't want it, reject it now. If you are not sure, then tell them now that you need some time to think about it.

How about a vacation once in a while eh? ;)