Got a garage from my apartment complex, temptation for mischief is strong

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
So I rented a garage from my apartment complex so I could put my Mustang away for the winter. They gave me a single remote which is the only way to open/close the garage. After only a day I was already annoyed with it & looked online for a keychain remote. I had no trouble finding one, but the thing I was surprised to discover is that there are only 8 dipswitches configuring the code. 2^8 = 256... It wouldn't take that much time to cycle through all the possible codes.

Assuming all of the garages use the same type of opener (which I don't think is too much of a stretch), this is a gaping security flaw. Obviously this means I can't leave anything of any real value out there, it'll probably be just the car. About 30 seconds after I reached that conclusion I had a second thought:

The garages are arranged in blocks of 8. So 8 doors at a time could be watched, and all would be within radio range. In an hour or two I could easily figure out the codes for that entire block. A few nights of research & I could have the codes for every garage in the complex. Then in one trip through the complex I could open every single garage.

:cool:

To make it even more entertaining: Automate the process with a laptop, build a more powerful transmitter.

Viper GTS

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
I condone everything you have suggested. Take your mission to heart and report back your findings.

Godspeed, Viper, godspeed.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I remember in High School we heard that there a very limited number of codes for a garage door opener so there was a good chance you could find one with the same code as yours. So me and my friends all got our home openers and drove around randomly clicking them trying to find a door that will open. I dont remember ever finding one that worked.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
[/i]
To make it even more entertaining: Automate the process with a laptop, build a more powerful transmitter, and set it up to open and close doors in time with a song that's played via FM transmitter

:cool:

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: se7en
Welcome to 1985.

I was under the impression that this was corrected a long time ago, it's more that my apartment is still stuck ni 1985. Even the 12 dipswitch models would make this far too time consuming to be worthwhile.

Viper GTS

xdreadpiratedoug

Jul 25, 2007
Originally posted by: Savij
I condone everything you have suggested. Take your mission to heart and report back your findings.

Godspeed, Viper, godspeed.

This could provide for some hilarity ... ever seen the allstate commercial where the guy is flipping the switch trying to figure it out, and it's the person down the street? Yah ... haha

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Doesn't this thread constitute premeditation, making you criminally liable for things the garage owners report missing after your caper?

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Correct. That security flaw has long been eliminated in new models. They're pretty secure now, with rolling codes and such.

Wait! You have a Mustang now? Cool!

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
I remember a news story about this a while ago. They bought a couple openers and drove around with them on the default setting and found a surprising amount of doors that opened. It didn't matter that there were only a few possibilities for codes, a lot of people didn't even bother to change it from the default!

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Indolent
I remember a news story about this a while ago. They bought a couple openers and drove around with them on the default setting and found a surprising amount of doors that opened. It didn't matter that there were only a few possibilities for codes, a lot of people didn't even bother to change it from the default!

Its not that they didn't bother its how many John Doe's who got their door from Sears or wherever know HOW to change the code? Or much less how do they know there EVEN is a code lol.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
My garage door opener was actually tough to find a replacement of. It runs on a certain frequency (320MHz?), and other brands were different.

Chances are anyone smart enough to figure out how to open a garage door with a hack isn't someone you really have to worry about. It's the @ssholes that'll bash in windows/doors that you have to worry about.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Thegonagle
Correct. That security flaw has long been eliminated in new models. They're pretty secure now, with rolling codes and such.

Wait! You have a Mustang now? Cool!

He *had* a Mustang. I have one of those remote controls too. Took me 108 attempts before I got into his garage. :p

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
So many people that want to steal a 5 year old Mustang. Is your minivan driving you to a life of crime?

:p

Viper GTS