Got a free mobo, need to fill it.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
What platform are you currently using? What do you do with your computer?
My most powerful machine is my gaming rig: 3570K @4.3GHz + GTX 970. I've got a few file and media servers and HTPCs. I've always been intrigued by elaborate setups like this, but obviously don't want to spend that much. I want to find a use case for this, but maybe there isn't one that makes sense... But then why must it make sense? LOL

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Nice freebie.

Sounds like you all ready have enough things around you could retask it somewhere.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
For sure, I'm mostly looking for ideas. Should I go for Broadwell-E 6800K? Or try to find a cheap 5820K? Performance/Dollar should probably be my goal.

I can see "where you're comin' from" with this: your hardware inventory and enthusiast profile are in my own cohort.

This current rig I'm building -- Z170 and i7-6700K -- is a realization of three "plans" I developed over a two-year period. First, I was going to build an X79 system with an Ivy Bridge E CPU. Then Haswell came, and I waited. Next, I was thinking about a Haswell-E. It came, it went, as I waited. Finally, I came to the conclusion that a quad-core K processor filled all my real needs -- the rest would simply be "collector's satisfaction," bragging rights and an over-investment.

But if someone gave me a perfectly good X99 board, well -- I'd have to fill it with a processor and RAM. I wouldn't be able to help myself.

And I can't tell you which way to go between the 5820K or 6800K. But with the hardware collection I currently have, I might be tempted to settle for the Haswell-E. How you might incline might differ.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Saw the i7-6700K for under $300 on sale recently. That's the chip to get. Really the best gaming chip in terms of performance per dollar. Some would argue the i5-6600K fills that role but I think the extra cache, clockspeed and speed is worth it.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Saw the i7-6700K for under $300 on sale recently. That's the chip to get. Really the best gaming chip in terms of performance per dollar. Some would argue the i5-6600K fills that role but I think the extra cache, clockspeed and speed is worth it.

. . . And, personally, I'd always shopped with an equal eye on "OEM-tray" processors and boxed processors. And despite Intel's lock on prices, I'd always tried to get a price. I'd take the silicon lottery and be satisfied. This time around -- I took the "Silicon Lottery" and paid for it, and I'm really, really satisfied.

Another thing the OP might do: find a used Haswell E chip, some decent quad-channel RAM, build the system and sell it. Or -- just sell the motherboard. Still -- it's a temptation that would be hard to pass up, just to build and use it.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
You could also consider getting some XEONs, some of the quad core ones can be cheaper than the 5820k. As for the choice between 5820k and the 6800k, I would go for the 5820k. IIRC, they are cheaper and OC better.

docp

Jul 4, 2007
Why not condsolidate all your servers in this one build?'
You can run virtual machines for all machines.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
You could also consider getting some XEONs, some of the quad core ones can be cheaper than the 5820k. As for the choice between 5820k and the 6800k, I would go for the 5820k. IIRC, they are cheaper and OC better.
This is true, but all of my machines are already quad core, so I don't really gain much from that perspective. I'm definitely leaning toward the 5820K ($319), but the 6800K ($399) might be better for running VMs if I take that route.

Why not condsolidate all your servers in this one build?'
You can run virtual machines for all machines.
That's what I want to do - but I'm not certain I can do it affordably. The pressure is on to make use of this board "because it's there!", but the cost of entry for either CPU is pretty high. It will be $500 for a 5820K and enough DDR4 to make it worthwhile. Then again if I do consolidate my existing servers and want any breathing room, then I would need to go up to an 8-core machine.

You have all been equally helpful and unhelpful at the same time. I'm gonna be broke! LOL