Got a "fake" bill at Rite-Aid..

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
So my friend got some cash back ($20) from Rite-Aid today, and then ended up going to a Vietnamese sandwich place. I got my order, paid for it, then my friend paid--and the lady behind the counter took a marker to it and asked if we had another one since she "couldn't accept it".

:confused:

The question then is, if I go back to Rite-Aid what are the chances they'll exchange it for another bill, or just confiscate it?

On another note, I took a picture of what happened at Rite-Aid when I was there.

Apparently a bum made a bit of a mess here.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
yer fucked unless you can PROVE you got it from the Rite-Aid...

BTW, don't take the Vietnamese restaurant's word that it's counterfeit. Take it to a bank. Explain it to them. Most banks will examine the bill and tell you.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
How does Rite-Aid know which $20 they gave you? Take it to a bank and let them know where you got the fake.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Use it somewhere else that doesn't pay attention / mark things so they won't notice the mark on it?

Mark over the mark with a different normal marker and use it elsewhere?

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: RKS
How does Rite-Aid know which $20 they gave you? Take it to a bank and let them know where you got the fake.

How does taking it to the bank help? :confused:

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Syringer
The question then is, if I go back to Rite-Aid what are the chances they'll exchange it for another bill, or just confiscate it?

Odds that they'll just laugh at you, stare at you like you're from outer space, or say "talk to the manager" (who is conveniently on break for the next couple hours): VERY GOOD

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Let me examine all the bills in your wallet... I bet they are all fake

Muuuhaaaaaahaaaahaaaaa!!!<<<<evil laugh>>>>>>muuuuuuhaaaaaaahhhaaaaaa

Runs away with cash....

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
Let me examine all the bills in your wallet... I bet they are all fake

Muuuhaaaaaahaaaahaaaaa!!!<<<<evil laugh>>>>>>muuuuuuhaaaaaaahhhaaaaaa

Runs away with cash....

HEEEEY...you're not the wallet inspector!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: yamadakun

The bank will be able to tell for sure if it's counterfeit or not...probably MUCH more accurately than some small viet-run sandwich shop.

Originally posted by: TruePaige
Use it somewhere else that doesn't pay attention / mark things so they won't notice the mark on it?

Yeah, that's it...then you're intentionally passing counterfeit money...
Welcome to FPMITA prison.

There's a HUGE difference between accepting a bill that turns out to be bad and intentionally passing one that you KNOW is bad...marking over the "bill marker" to camouflage it would be enough to get you in deep shit.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
When you accept a bad bill it becomes your problem. If you take it to a bank they'll be able to check conclusively (money's their business). And if it's a bum bill, they'll probably do what's needed for it. (probably mark and destroy)

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: cherrytwist
Originally posted by: Aflac
Just spend it somewhere where an employee won't pay attention.

Like a gentleman's club. Or an exterminator.

Pretty much the worst idea ever. Their expertise in real and fake extends further from the b00bages.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: TruePaige

There's a HUGE difference between accepting a bill that turns out to be bad and intentionally passing one that you KNOW is bad...marking over the "bill marker" to camouflage it would be enough to get you in deep shit.

No way for them to prove you knew, or did anything wrong.

You don't go to prison for passing one bum bill along.

Why should the OP lose 20 bucks?

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

LMAO! You guys are too funny. Yes, because you passed on a single counterfeit bill, you would go to Federal Prison and be constantly ass raped. Yep, seems completely reasonable to me.

:roll:

rezinn

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2004
I had this happen to me at an aquarium in maui. They accepted it anyway after a couple minutes but they said it was fake. I'd take it to a bank.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Those pens don't even work. It's probably a good bill.

You can always call the Secret Service if you want.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Insane3D

LMAO! You guys are too funny. Yes, because you passed on a single counterfeit bill, you would go to Federal Prison and be constantly ass raped. Yep, seems completely reasonable to me.

:roll:

Don't youse guys realize this is ATOT...where ANY minor infraction results is FPMITA prison?

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005

The bank will be able to tell for sure if it's counterfeit or not...probably MUCH more accurately than some small viet-run sandwich shop.

If you need a bank to tell if the bill is good or not, you can probably use it anywhere.

And the policy at banks is to confiscate any counterfeit bills.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004

If you need a bank to tell if the bill is good or not, you can probably use it anywhere.

And the policy at banks is to confiscate any counterfeit bills.

Yeah, just pass it along to some other schmo! Why lose $20 just to do the right thing?
:disgust:
WTF is a small enough amount of money/trouble to do the right thing?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
The right thing to do is to take it to a bank. If you're out $20, you're out $20.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
hold it up to the light and look for the strip inside and see if it has 20 on it. Then look for the thread that are in the c otton of the bill. If both of thise are there then it is probable good. If not then call local Secret service and tell them what has happened and have them look at it.