Got a cortizone shot in my foot, now my foot is in more pain....

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
WTH... I twisted my foot last month and have been wearing a walking cast for 2 weeks now... Went to the doc today and it was still painful to the touch so he gave me a cortizone shot right between my last two toes...

Well that spot feels great now, but the area around it hurts like HELL. Specifically about 1" farther back on the top of my foot, and the area directly beneith the shot..... VERY painful...

Is this normal? I got the shot about 30 minutes ago... Combo of numbing agent and steroids... I already called the doc and she is gonna call me back in a few mins after speaking w/ a nurse...

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
It will be fine in about 45 mins, they probably hit the nerve really well.

(had something similar, had to give me 2 shots, my big toe swelled to the size of a golf ball)

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation

(had something similar, had to give me 2 shots, my big toe swelled to the size of a golf ball)

Yea, i guess thats what it is.... The pain is starting to radiate up into my ankle...

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex

Yea, i guess thats what it is.... The pain is starting to radiate up into my ankle...

Yep. elevate it above your heart and take it easy for a few minutes.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

COOL! :camera: if it starts to swell that big :D

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: nutxo
Sometimes it takes a day or 2 to take effect.

Well the spot he gave me the shot feels great, the area that was sore before, the rest of my foot hurts like a mother now...

BTW, what is that stuff they spray on your foot while giving you the shot? It was the crazy liquid that evaporated almost instantly, they said it was so that i wouldnt feel the needle...

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I had cortizone shots in my heel. No problems at all. Played volleyball only a few hours later.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

Well the spot he gave me the shot feels great, the area that was sore before, the rest of my foot hurts like a mother now...

BTW, what is that stuff they spray on your foot while giving you the shot? It was the crazy liquid that evaporated almost instantly, they said it was so that i wouldnt feel the needle...

Hmm.. sounds like alcohol, was it cold and felt warmer afterwords? Either that or some sort of emila(sp) cream, local anesthetic.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

That stuffs great. They didnt have it when I had my first surgery, they just gave the shot. The cold stuff makes the shot more bearable.

I got a shot in my wrist last month. It was pure hell for a day or 2 then I had a really good 5 days...

aphex

Jul 19, 2001

Hmm.. sounds like alcohol, was it cold and felt warmer afterwords? Either that or some sort of emila(sp) cream, local anesthetic.

It was kinda cold... Almost like water, but as soon as it hit my foot, it evaporated... Came in a bottle like Hydrogen Peroxide..

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
it takes a couple hours or so

tomorrow it will fell MUCH better

my shot in my knee helped for about 4- 6 weeks

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

It was kinda cold... Almost like water, but as soon as it hit my foot, it evaporated... Came in a bottle like Hydrogen Peroxide..

Sounds like plain jane alcohol, probably to disinfect the area, wouldn't do much for you not feeling the pain.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001

Sounds like plain jane alcohol, probably to disinfect the area, wouldn't do much for you not feeling the pain.

Evaporated WAAAAY quicker than alchohol though... They were pouring it on, and by the time it rolled 1" on my foot it was gone... And i do mean poured...

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Just found this...

Are there side effects?
Yes. Probably the most common side-effect is a 'cortisone flare,' a condition where the injected cortisone crystalizes and can cause a breif period of pain worse than before the shot. This usually lasts a day or two and is best treated by icing the injected area. Another common side-effect is whitening of the skin where the injection is given. This is only a concern in people with darker skin, and is not harmful, but patients should be aware of this.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Probably the most common side-effect is a 'cortisone flare,' a condition where the injected cortisone crystalizes and can cause a breif period of pain worse than before the shot. This usually lasts a day or two and is best treated by icing the injected area. Another common side-effect is whitening of the skin where the injection is given. This is only a concern in people with darker skin, and is not harmful, but patients should be aware of this.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/paindrugs/a/cortisone.htm

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
Probably the most common side-effect is a 'cortisone flare,' a condition where the injected cortisone crystalizes and can cause a breif period of pain worse than before the shot. This usually lasts a day or two and is best treated by icing the injected area. Another common side-effect is whitening of the skin where the injection is given. This is only a concern in people with darker skin, and is not harmful, but patients should be aware of this.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/paindrugs/a/cortisone.htm

really? that looks familiar :D :beer:

Thanks for looking though, appreciated :D

Turkey22

Nov 28, 2001
Had one in my foot not too long ago, unfotunately didn't do much for my torn ligaments... I hate the fact that the dr is too cheap to have the proper tests done rather than guessing and seeing if it heals before trying other diagnostic measures. Oh btw torn ligaments is just the current diagnosis after 2 1/2 months as they still havent had an mri done. It is slowly getting better but damn I probably spent a month doing the wrong things to let it heal. First month they thought it was a stress fracture, but then bonescan came back negative. Then he thought tendonitis so in comes the cortisone, no dice. Refers me to a PDM finally and I get a boot to wear that finally starts to help the healing process.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Turkey22
Had one in my foot not too long ago, unfotunately didn't do much for my torn ligaments... I hate the fact that the dr is too cheap to have the proper tests done rather than guessing and seeing if it heals before trying other diagnostic measures. Oh btw torn ligaments is just the current diagnosis after 2 1/2 months as they still havent had an mri done. It is slowly getting better but damn I probably spent a month doing the wrong things to let it heal. First month they thought it was a stress fracture, but then bonescan came back negative. Then he thought tendonitis so in comes the cortisone, no dice. Refers me to a PDM finally and I get a boot to wear that finally starts to help the healing process.

Yea, the boot has been helping me a ton. I wore sandals 90% of the time before i got my boot and it was hurting all the time. Now it only hurts when you put pressure on it, or if i stretch it...