Got a 1700+ for a week! EDIT: The D/L of 1k WUs has begun!

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
I have just finished building a 1700+ (AGOIA Y core!) on a K7S5A with 256DDR for a friend to take to uni :) Of course i will have to see how well it will overclock before he gets it ;)

He won't be picking it up til Thursday, which means a week of Seti on it! :D

He was going to run Seti on it for me, but it turns out that his room does not have a net connection :(

So here's the question!

Would it be possible to fill up a cache of WUs on SetiDriver (say like 1000) and then when he gets home from uni connect it to my LAN and upload all the results from the x months it's been away? I guess next time it will be able to be connected would be Xmas, then Easter after that, then June after that.

David, if you see this maybe you could ask your contact at Seti for me? Email address is in my profile if direct correspondence is required :)

But anyway it's gonna be here for a week!

Confused

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Currently, the only time-limit that was enforced was then v3.03 was released, there all results crunched with old client was discarded... but uncrunched wu has no time-limit.

So there's no problem to fill up the cache and let him crunch to christmas. :)

... but, depending on then seti@home II is released, the future next year is unsertain...

Since I've never used setidriver, someone else must clarify the usability here with so large caches...

Migroo

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Garry, like Rattledagger said it is possible.

1) You need to find out what the max. for SETI driver is.

2) Assuming you want your friend to have the least work to do, why not create folders of X number of WUs and burn them to a CD or something.

calculation:
Assuming that WU = 300kb or around 3 WUs per MB, then a CD can hold more than 1800 WUs. Effective storage! :D
My 1700+ does slightly under 4 hr WUs, so assuming 4hr WUs and the PC being on 24/7, thats 42 units a week. Assuming 3 months of crunching before he returns at Christmas, then you could be looking at anything around the 600 WU mark. Nice.

I've never tried it, but I bet Seti Driver could cope with that lot. If it doesnt, make 6 or so folders with 100 each, and make him change the WU folder every 2-3 weeks.

Hows that? Hope it helps.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Can't you just setup a SETIQ on his PC rather than mess around with SETIdriver? ,we know SETIQ can deal with large numbers of WU's ,I don't know about SETIDriver.

As far as for how long you can keep results for it is much longer than I originally thought (1mth max) ,looking at this thread at the SETI forum it seems you'd be quite safe for at least 2months!

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I did the same thing with an Asus A7V266-E rig.. had an XP2100+ and 256 DDR.
I put in a LOT of WU with that baby!!! :D:D:D

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Only 105 more to download out of 990 to make 1000 total WUs on this puppy!

And it's only been going for 8hrs
rolleye.gif
;)