GOP's Attempt To Reach Out To Women.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
It is not that women are lazy, they just are not willing to do the dirty work like what men are. This is by design. Men and women think and work differently.

damm those rich garbage colectors...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
New Hampshire passes law mandating "equal pay for equal work." Employers immediately slash men's salaries to comply. Big win for women, yay.

So, uhh, women weren't getting equal pay for equal work, or what?

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
It is not that women are lazy, they just are not willing to do the dirty work like what men are.

Meaningless. The wage gap in controlled for equal work. It isn't comparing a seamstress to an astronaut, nor is it comparing a seamstress who works 8 hours to "a hard working male seamstress" working 10.

In equal work, hour to hour, job to job, a woman gets paid less.

Feb 4, 2009
Meaningless. The wage gap in controlled for equal work. It isn't comparing a seamstress to an astronaut, nor is it comparing a seamstress who works 8 hours to "a hard working male seamstress" working 10.

This is exactly what I have read about it. When comparing between equal jobs and equal hours and equal tenure women still end up with around 6% less pay.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
This is exactly what I have read about it. When comparing between equal jobs and equal hours and equal tenure women still end up with around 6% less pay.

Well, we don't want to let them get even more uppity do we? How many times do we need to make the same mistake? Preserve White Male Privilege!!!

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
The more accurate answer is because men cannot choose to sell themselves out sexually for money like women can.

We have to make money to live.

Women just have to find a man making money to live.

Congrats, you outdumbed a lot of pro's in this thread, way to go. Are you speaking from experience there?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

So, you admit that the whole 77 cents of the dollar thing is complete and total BS.

But of course we should take your word that 94 cents on the dollar is totally true despite your admission that liberals have been lying to everyone for years...

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
GOP's Attempt To Reach Out To Women?
Well... I'd suggest tightly crossing the legs and pulling the dress tight to the knees.
And if they still attempt to reach out, just a swift kick to the balls.
That usually takes care of the situation.

Thank god they aren't reaching out to the guys as well.
But thats another story.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006

Not to burst your bubble, but not all variables can be accounted for in this comparison...for instance "equal work" is subjective, I have 13 coworkers who do the same job as me, some of them have even been here longer, and I make more than all of them, one of which is even a woman:eek: Hour to hour is not a good comparison when quality of output is considered, something that is not easy to quantify

Another contributing factor to the wage gap (which keeps shrinking as more analysis is done) is that men are more aggressive in pursuing raises and promotions than women are, it's looking more and more like culture and not direct discrimination is the bigger contributor

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
This issue would go away if government made child-rearing tax-deductable. It really is a full-time job and a lot of men don't recognize or appreciate that.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
This issue would go away if government made child-rearing tax-deductable. It really is a full-time job and a lot of men don't recognize or appreciate that.

It wouldn't go away. Because liberals don't want want women to engage in child-rearing. They want them to work.

Liberal economist Barbara Bergmann, professor emerita at American University

Barbara Bergmann: One of the problems with the minimum income is that it would probably result in women, more than men, leaving the labor force. And if you think about the increase in women’s stature, that has really been almost entirely due to the fact that more women are in the labor force. So I think that would be a relatively bad effect of universal cash payments.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/sweden-switzerland-americas-social-welfare-model/

This is why liberal insist on complaining about a wage gap that doesn't really exist if you account for relevant things such as hours worked.

Feb 4, 2009
So, you admit that the whole 77 cents of the dollar thing is complete and total BS.

But of course we should take your word that 94 cents on the dollar is totally true despite your admission that liberals have been lying to everyone for years...

I don't believe I have ever claimed that the .23 difference is the only number that is relevant. Again the figure I read about is around 5-8%, yes that translates to $.05-$.08 per dollar. Women who work the same position, the same hours with the same tenure earn less.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I don't believe I have ever claimed that the .23 difference is the only number that is relevant. Again the figure I read about is around 5-8%, yes that translates to $.05-$.08 per dollar. Women who work the same position, the same hours with the same tenure earn less.

So you admit that the commonly quoted 0.23 difference is complete BS.

The question then is why should we put any the 0.05-.08 figure? Especially when there are plenty of other factors not being factored in.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
I believe it. In medicine, it impossible to find a woman physician that wants full time work. They all want three days a week, and 6 months off for every kid they have. The male docs are happy to work whatever hours you give them as long as theyre getting paid.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
I believe it. In medicine, it impossible to find a woman physician that wants full time work. They all want three days a week, and 6 months off for every kid they have. The male docs are happy to work whatever hours you give them as long as theyre getting paid.

lol.

Feb 4, 2009
So you admit that the commonly quoted 0.23 difference is complete BS.

The question then is why should we put any the 0.05-.08 figure? Especially when there are plenty of other factors not being factored in.

The .23 difference isn't a BS number its an average. That doesn't mean every job should have equal pay. How about this I'm not going to ask for it or for it to be donated because at least its being used. Next year after your pay review tell your boss you want to give 6% of your gross pay back to the company because its not that much money and the company deserves it more than you do. Its only one year not a lifetime.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
The .23 difference isn't a BS number its an average. That doesn't mean every job should have equal pay.

Are you daft? The .23 difference number is used repeatedly to imply that women are getting paid 23% less for the same work.

See for example:
Barack Obama ad says women are paid "77 cents on the dollar for doing the same work as men"
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-obama-ad-says-women-are-paid-77-cents-dolla/

How about this I'm not going to ask for it or for it to be donated because at least its being used. Next year after your pay review tell your boss you want to give 6% of your gross pay back to the company because its not that much money and the company deserves it more than you do. Its only one year not a lifetime.

Why would I do that when I have absolutely no faith in the 6% number having any real useful meaning?

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Wow, all these posts.

Seriously women take on some incredibly risky jobs, jeesh, just look at nurses who work in hospitals on their feet for 12-14 hour shifts handling bodily fluids and dealing with very sick people. Their job is incredibly physical and very difficult. In addition you have women electricians, women who work on telephone polls, women who are firefighters, police officers. Women take just as risky and labor intensive jobs that men do. So it is really silly to say that men work longer, harder, and take riskier jobs because that is a flat out lie.

This congressman is an idiot and really does buy into his sexist, misogynistic views. But hey, I guess he thinks he is reaching out to women right? lmao

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Seriously women take on some incredibly risky jobs, jeesh, just look at nurses who work in hospitals on their feet for 12-14 hour shifts handling bodily fluids and dealing with very sick people. Their job is incredibly physical and very difficult. In addition you have women electricians, women who work on telephone polls, women who are firefighters, police officers. Women take just as risky and labor intensive jobs that men do. So it is really silly to say that men work longer, harder, and take riskier jobs because that is a flat out lie.
Do you understand what percentages are? Nobody has said that women NEVER do risky/labor intensive jobs, just that men disproportionately do them, which, among other factors, contributes to some of the pay disparity.

I'll humor you though and address your specific occupations
Nurses=90% Women (good one)
Electricians=2.2% Women:eek:
Work on telephone polls=1.3%:eek: (kinda obscure reference but electrical power-line installer/repairer should cover it)
Firefighters=3.4%:eek:
Patrol Police Officers=15.5%:eek:

Source:http://www.dol.gov/wb/factsheets/nontra2009_txt.htm