GoPro HD Hero 1 quality

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Yeah, it's definitely HD, but lacks sharpness. Kind of like it's unfocused a little bit and really noisy.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
When you look at the original, raw footage... does it look the same?

Whatever program you used to export to youtube might have shittified the video a bit.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
You just need more dramatic scenery and music.

I have a goPro1 and the quality leaves a bit to be desired, but when you are trying to get sports shots, etc. the goPro shines because of how it's built and setup.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Response from GoPro:

Fortunately, there doesn´t seem to be anything wrong with your camera, the truth is that our media team, who are the guys that work on the videos we make are professionals and very skilled video editing tecs, we use some of the best editing softwares possible and put in the hands of the best guys we can get, so unless you have knowledge when it comes to post-editing videos and using the more complex softwares, there really isn´t much you or us can do.
After watching the video you posted, it seems to be within the expected qualities made for the camera.

I knew the videos on their site were too good to be true.

evolutionezine

Nov 4, 2012
yeah, i agree it,Yeah, it's definitely HD, but lacks sharpness. Kind of like it's unfocused a little bit .thanks
91.jpg

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005
On a side note OP, if you wanted to upgrade you can get the Hero2 for $200 at most online vendors these days. Quality is the same as the middle of the pack Hero3.

FirewolfX

Aug 31, 2008
I really only use the 720p/60 fps option, it looks much more fluid and overall better than the 1080p setting (30 fps) on GP1

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
That is a very busy scene for the bitrate the GoPro uses. I get a ton of blocking on fast motion video, but with the fisheye lens the subject always seems to come in pretty sharp. Good lighting seems to be the only limitation I have faced.

The camera has a purpose and it does very well at what it is designed to do. A wide shot of a million leaves that is completely static isn't that.

Here is a vid from two summers ago shortly after I got my GoPro. We were just playing around with it, not sure how the footage would come out. I think despite the general boringness of the video it illustrates pretty well what the camera is capable of and useful for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEWhp5EZrZM