GOP stepping up efforts to suppress voters in several states

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Several bills proposed by Republican Georgia state legislators would change rules for mail-in voting, including one that would require voters to supply a reason to vote absentee. Other bills would ban absentee-ballot drop boxes and set limits on who can mail absentee applications to voters.

One proposal would require people to provide proof of identification when applying for mail-in ballots and when they send in ballots. People voting in person in Georgia are required to provide an I.D.

GOP-backed legislation stretches beyond voting by mail, including proposals to end automatic voter registration when people get a driver’s license and to expand poll watchers’ access in tabulating centers.

Republicans say changes are needed to shore up shaken public faith in the voting process. “There has been so much noise and misinformation about the election that I think we’ve got to restore confidence,” Georgia state Sen. Larry Walker III, vice chairman of the Republican Senate caucus, said in an interview.

Similar fights are brewing in other states that flipped blue in the November election. A Republican-backed bill in Pennsylvania would dial back provisions the GOP-controlled Legislature passed two years ago allowing all voters the option to request and cast a mail-in ballot without giving a reason. A GOP-sponsored measure in Arizona would require mail-in ballots to be notarized.

Their previous actions weren't successful at preventing the wrong people from voting so they are trying to make it even harder under the guise of "preventing voter fraud".

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fight-over-voting-access-revs-up-in-georgia-11612780203

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Republicans can no longer cope with losing any election and just want to rig the system instead of maybe appealing to enough voters to win.

Reactions: Ajay and Pohemi

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
What a bunch of disingenuous assholes. I really wish one of their colleagues would publically call bullshit (and yes, use that word, because that's what this is).
Also, obligatory "conservatives will not abandon conservatism, they will abandon democracy"

Reactions: Pohemi and iRONic
Nov 17, 2019
I maintain:

-- National standards for Federal Elections.
-- Focus on the VRA, equal opportunity for all to vote.
-- Send ballots to all eligible adults, no absentee request required.
-- Ballots could be mailed in, dropped off by you or another, or you could vote in person, but checks would be made to ensure only one ballot submission per voter.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I like how Republicans spread lies about the election they lost and then use the effects of their own lies to justify suppressing unfriendly voters.

This article seems highly relevant:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I like how Republicans spread lies about the election they lost and then use the effects of their own lies to justify suppressing unfriendly voters.

This article seems highly relevant:

Read that article earlier today. It's quite good. The bothsidesdoit crowd in particular needs to read that.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Read that article earlier today. It's quite good. The bothsidesdoit crowd in particular needs to read that.
Very much agree but the thing is people have been telling the #bothsides crowd this for years - they don't care. I mean that book 'it's even worse than it looks' came out nearly ten years ago and they ignored it. I think this is because the whole #bothsides thing is more of a world view than a position based on facts.

I mean we've seen it on here - even after the Republicans essentially tried to end democracy in America people like blackangst were still on board with #bothsides. What's one more article going to do to that level of denial?

Reactions: Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I maintain:

-- National standards for Federal Elections.
-- Focus on the VRA, equal opportunity for all to vote.
-- Send ballots to all eligible adults, no absentee request required.
-- Ballots could be mailed in, dropped off by you or another, or you could vote in person, but checks would be made to ensure only one ballot submission per voter.

Hey righties, how hard is this to understand? What's the problem?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Come on, get some guts, and go for it. Just remove anyone who voted Democrat from your voting roles. You know that's what you really want to do.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I think this thread will be getting a lot of updating as the months go on. Just today in iOwa, where the state is all republican ran and operated (more on that later), just today the republican controlled iOwa legislature began attacking a system that had been working "flawlessly". Republicans cooked up a fake problem, then shoved their agenda in pretending to solve it. Which, by the way, is the typical means of operation with republicans now a day across the entire country. To claim a problem, then to restrict freedoms in order to pretend to solve that nonexistent problem.

iOwa.... Republicans.... Go Figure

GOP bill would slash voting by mail, early voting in Iowa

Iowa's Republican-dominated Legislature is advancing a bill that would drastically rewrite state election law in a way that critics say would favor the party.
The bill discussed in a Senate subcommittee hearing Wednesday would cut the mail and in-person early voting period from 29 to 18 days after Republicans whittled it down from 40 days just four years ago.
It would bar counties from mailing absentee ballot applications to voters, tightly regulate how absentee ballots can be returned and potentially cut many early voting locations.

And everything was going so well in iOwa when it came to elections. An efficient, productive, well ran operation. People could vote early in person easily, or obtain an absentee ballot easily. However, that bothered legislating republicans, republicans don't like people to vote. A nasty habit indeed, if you think like a republican....

PS... Some may also wonder why iOwa, a once blue state, has gone bat-shet crazy red? iOwa had went for Obama, twice, and was considered a democratic stronghold. So what happened? I'll tell you what happened, the red-necks took over. The educated youth of Iowa have fled to more productive states while the old farts have remained and become the majority. The very poorly and poorly educated citizenry have become the majority within iOwa, those who vote for people like Donald Trump (see photo below), and vote for republican governors with their heads right up Trump's ass, i.e. Gov Kim Reynolds, the anti-mask governor. The smart people leave, the educated people leave, the youth leave in droves and that youth can't get the hell out of iOwa fast enough. And this is why the state of iOwa is red, fat, and stupid as hell.

chasepolice.jpg
THE TYPICAL iOwan

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Oh hey, look at what florida is up to. Nothing like disingenuous "election security" measures to ensure only certain segments of the population can vote

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh hey, look at what florida is up to. Nothing like disingenuous "election security" measures to ensure only certain segments of the population can vote
The bad faith is just endless. They relentlessly lie about voter fraud in the election and then use the fact that some people believed their lies as reason to suppress other voters.

There is going to be a serious problem here in the next ten years because one of our two parties simply does not believe in democracy anymore.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The main source of evil in this country is the Republican Supreme Court, never forget. They are the ones who gutted the voting rights act, they are the ones who perpetuated cooky legal theories that if state courts ban state legislatures from suppressing the vote under the state constitution, that makes the vote in the entire state constitutionally questionable. The entitlement the GOP felt to invalidate election results in states that voted against them didn't come from Trump, it came from their rigged SCOTUS. Until the Democrats reform the courts, this country's decline will continue unabated.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

n Pennsylvania, another state where Republicans spread baseless claims of fraud in an attempt to overturn Biden’s victory, legislative Republicans have introduced 14 bills to make it harder to vote, among the most in the country. Like in Georgia, they want to repeal no-excuse absentee voting, which all but two Republicans voted for in 2018. The main sponsor is GOP Senator Doug Mastriano, who attended the Capitol Hill rally on January 6 that incited the violent mob at the US Capitol. Republicans also want to reject mail-in ballots that don’t arrive by Election Day, throw out ballots for minor signature errors, and eliminate a list of voters who automatically receive mail-in ballots.
They are also fast-tracking a constitutional amendment that would gerrymander the state courts—so that judges are elected from districts drawn by the legislature instead of through statewide races, giving Republicans far more control over them—after the state supreme court overturned gerrymandered congressional maps drawn by the legislature and blocked Republican attempts to undermine ballot access before the November election. Democratic Governor Tom Wolf, who cannot run for reelection in 2022 because of term limits, can block restrictive voting laws but the attempt to gerrymander the courts will likely go before voters during May primary elections.
A third of restrictions on voting this year target mail-in voting, according to the Brennan Center, but many go well beyond that. Republicans in New Hampshire and Montana have introduced legislation to repeal Election Day registration, which increases voter turnout by as much as 10 percent. Republicans in Alaska, like in Georgia, want to eliminate automatic voter registration, which was approved by 65 percent of voters in 2016. Republicans in Wisconsin, Arizona, and Mississippi have introduced bills to allocate electoral votes based on congressional districts instead of the popular vote winner of the state, which would’ve reduced Biden’s Electoral College margin by 11 votes.

That damn pesky democracy, always getting in the way of the Republican agenda.

This is the worst attempts I've seen in my lifetime to silence the voters. If this keeps up, we are headed for trouble.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005