GOP sides with businesses over toxic trailers

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...n_go_co/toxic_trailers

GOP sides with businesses over toxic trailers

Trailer manufacturers defended themselves Wednesday on Capitol Hill, insisting they're not responsible for FEMA trailers that had toxic levels of formaldehyde, despite Democrats' claims the companies knew the dangers yet didn't do anything about it.

Top executives from four companies backed the safety and quality of their products in what is shaping up to be a partisan fight over who is to blame for health issues afflicting Katrina victims who lived in their trailers after the hurricane.

Democrats say the manufacturers should have taken more tests when medical complaints surfaced and done more to protect the displaced Katrina victims living in these trailers. Republicans say it is the government's fault for not having standards for safe levels of formaldehyde in trailers.

About 1 million people were displaced because of Katrina, and thousands were sent to emergency travel trailers that were later discovered to have high levels of formaldehyde ? a preservative commonly used in building materials. Prolonged exposure can lead to breathing problems and is also believed to cause cancer. Shortly after Katrina, residents of FEMA-issued trailers reported frequent headaches, nosebleeds and other ailments.

There is no industry standard for the amount of formaldehyde in travel trailers. The government sets standards for indoor air quality for materials used to build mobile homes, but not for travel trailers.

"It would be helpful to have a national standard for these kinds of products," said Jim Shea, chairman of Gulf Stream Coach ? the trailer manufacturer that received the bulk of the contracts to make trailers after Katrina, collecting more than $500 million. "The lack of such a standard leaves our industry with no clear guidance on the issue."

But Democrats and hundreds of current and former trailer occupants who are suing the manufacturers do not accept this defense. Some Gulf Stream employees complained they, too, were suffering effects from formaldehyde exposure, including nose bleeds, shortness of breath, dizziness and bleeding ears. One employee told Democratic investigators there was a foul odor in the plant as the trailers were being made.

"FEMA failed by ignoring the dangers of formaldehyde," Chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform committee Henry Waxman said.

But the California Democrat insists Gulf Stream's failure is different: "The company did test trailers after hearing the first reports of high formaldehyde levels. It found pervasive formaldehyde contamination in its trailers. And it did not tell anyone," Waxman said.

Gulf Stream's Shea said this is not the case. There was no actual "testing" of trailers, he said. Instead, there was informal screening with a handheld device that measures the level of formaldehyde in the air called a Formaldemeter, which is not a scientific test. And Gulf Stream asked FEMA if it should test the trailers, but FEMA said no, Shea said.

Businesses asking for government regulation?
Yes, in modern industrial societies government regulations ARE needed. Just ask the Chinese who die everyday from poisoned food and air.
The real issue is RESPONSIBLE government regulation.
Clearly the Republicans don't have a clue.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Those trailers were supposed to be short term places for people to stay. Not homes for long term. They should have been out of the trailers within 2 or 3 months.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: bamacre
Techs, do you have any idea why companies ask to be regulated?

So they can protect their own asses and place blame on the Govt.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Democrats say the manufacturers should have taken more tests when medical complaints surfaced and done more to protect the displaced Katrina victims living in these trailers. Republicans say it is the government's fault for not having standards for safe levels of formaldehyde in trailers.

i would say they are both right on this one. they should have checked it out when there were problems and there should be standards for all things people live in. ( yes, i did just say the government should have some sort of regulation for this)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
why is there so much formaldehyde in the trailers to begin with?

i mean, there is this
a preservative commonly used in building materials

but when i've been in lowe's or home depot i haven't smelled any formaldehyde.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: herm0016

i would say they are both right on this one. they should have checked it out when there were problems and there should be standards for all things people live in. ( yes, i did just say the government should have some sort of regulation for this)

The only reason the gov't should have some sort of regulation is because they were the purchaser. ....and/OR having the regulation apply to all construction....IF this is actually something that is a true health concern.

On another note, how can a builder know potential formaldehyde concentration without each product being rated for content and off-gassing.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: ElFenix
why is there so much formaldehyde in the trailers to begin with?

i mean, there is this
a preservative commonly used in building materials

but when i've been in lowe's or home depot i haven't smelled any formaldehyde.

Packaging I'd imagine.

Ever open a "bag" of insulation? Laminate flooring? A can of paint?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
no, no, and yes. paint isn't that bad. the factory uses large quantities, of course. but then how does it get so concentrated?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: ElFenix
no, no, and yes. paint isn't that bad. the factory uses large quantities, of course. but then how does it get so concentrated?

I'm sure it's due initially to such a quick manufacturing process. New materials coming straight from the maker and haven't off-gassed enough? Putting all those newly made materials all in a small space? Yeah, it'd be quite concentrated. Also, "normally" a newly built trailer would sit on a lot for a while unlike the FEMA trailers which were quickly put into use after being built at 100+ per day at one company(according to some show I watched the other day).

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Yet another thread Techs creates and runs away. I guess I can assume the answer to my question above is "no."

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
Those trailers were supposed to be short term places for people to stay. Not homes for long term. They should have been out of the trailers within 2 or 3 months.

And go where?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn

And go where?

2 or 3 months should be more than enough time to find a job and get an apartment.