GOP set to ban *all* embryonic stem cell research?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Let's remember that this is just the party platform and will never be spoken of again after the convention.

The Democratic platform includes stuff that they would rather not have talked about either
The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade and a woman's right to choose a safe and legal abortion, regardless of ability to pay, and we oppose any and all efforts to weaken or undermine that right.
Any and all would mean attempts to outlaw late term abortion.

Overall this is a non-issue.
Would you really want someone that can't afford an abortion to have a kid? The job of Policy is to consider the facts AND the consequences.
Then you have the abortion early on. You don't wait till six months into the pregnancy till have an abortion.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: halik
Let's remember that this is just the party platform and will never be spoken of again after the convention.

The Democratic platform includes stuff that they would rather not have talked about either
The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade and a woman's right to choose a safe and legal abortion, regardless of ability to pay, and we oppose any and all efforts to weaken or undermine that right.
Any and all would mean attempts to outlaw late term abortion.

Overall this is a non-issue.
Would you really want someone that can't afford an abortion to have a kid? The job of Policy is to consider the facts AND the consequences.
Then you have the abortion early on. You don't wait till six months into the pregnancy till have an abortion.

Either a bad sidestep or lack of reading comprehensions, I'm making an argument regarding the ability to pay issue.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Halik, my post was about the Democrats support of partial birth and late term abortion.

That is what their blank supports. They oppose ANY and ALL efforts to weaken that right. Which means a ban on partial birth would be against their beliefs.

Personally, I don't like abortion and think it is abhorrent, but I am not in favor of outlawing it. But I do think partial birth and late term should be illegal except where the mother's life is at risk.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Let me clarify.

The Republicans are stupid to support a ban on all stem cell research.
Just as the Democrat are stupid to support any and all types of abortion.

Both sides are wrong.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
Originally posted by: hellokeith
Funny thing is, with all the breakthroughs in the last 2 years with adult and non-embryonic cell research, embryonic stem cell research is hardly even noteworthy by the most liberal supporters.
Adult Stem Cells v. Embryonic Stem Cells
From everything I've read so far...adult stem cell research has actually been far more successful in providing cures for serious illnesses. Also, I understand that there have been some horrific failures with embryonic stem cell research where the stem cells form into tumors.

and we don't know everything, so we should definitely keep looking into it

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Once a foetus or baby is dead, it's just a corpse, a soulless shell which I have no problems being harvested for organ transplants or stem cells if its loved ones agree to that. If we don't harvest the stuff, it will just decompose anyway.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Robor
From everything I've read so far...adult stem cell research has actually been far more successful in providing cures for serious illnesses. Also, I understand that there have been some horrific failures with embryonic stem cell research where the stem cells form into tumors.

Are you kidding me?

So who is behind Stemcellresearch.org?

The domain is registered to a Daniel McConchie and the Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity. The CBHD isn't about research or science at all; it is, wouldn't you know it, a conservative religious organization. A specifically Christian group:

Wow, PZ turkey-slapped shit out of that site.

I thought I should mention that the brain of a fly has a thousand times more cells than a blastocyst.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Are you kidding me?

The domain is registered to a Daniel McConchie and the Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity. The CBHD isn't about research or science at all; it is, wouldn't you know it, a conservative religious organization. A specifically Christian group:

LOL, wonders if DSF had any idea they weren't legit?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Are you kidding me?

I was just going to post the same thing.