GOP rep: 'Nobody dies' from not having health care

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
That by the relevant measure "Rate of abortions per women aged 15-44 years by state of occurence" (see link) blue states were 7 of the top 10 in 2012 and either 7 or 8 of 10 in every year were data is present. And that's with 3 blue states not reporting and likely to be high in the ranks (CA, MD, and NH) so it could actually be 10/10 blue.

Or alternatively you could look at the stats broken out by something like race and see blacks (who normally vote 90+ percent Dem and sometimes 95% plus) represent 41% of all abortions performed nationwide.

you could do that. If you gave a fuck.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
That by the relevant measure "Rate of abortions per women aged 15-44 years by state of occurence" (see link) blue states were 7 of the top 10 in 2012 and either 7 or 8 of 10 in every year were data is present. And that's with 3 blue states not reporting and likely to be high in the ranks (CA, MD, and NH) so it could actually be 10/10 blue.

Or alternatively you could look at the stats broken out by something like race and see blacks (who normally vote 90+ percent Dem and sometimes 95% plus) represent 41% of all abortions performed nationwide.

NH had about 2500 abortions in 2015 which puts it towards the bottom in the nation.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Health insurance saves lives? Last I checked, medical care save lives. Health Insurance is supposed
to be a safety net in case something terrible happens.

If you want free medical care without paying for it....its never going to happen.

Having everyone chip in fairly is the socialized concept. Paying for your own care is a libertariam concept.

Insuring people in a pool to make a profit is a business concept. We cant simply force people to make terrible business decisions

It is almost inconceivable he amount of out of the box thinking we need to do in this country to save health insurance and health care

Reactions: Chiropteran

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
We don't need to do any out of the box thinking. We need to stop and ask ourselves "Gee, I wonder if the profit motive should be our God or not?" The answer flows from there naturally.

Reactions: Geekbabe

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
We don't need to do any out of the box thinking. We need to stop and ask ourselves "Gee, I wonder if the profit motive should be our God or not?" The answer flows from there naturally.
i think its a conundrum. morality vs logic. I dont want anyone to suffer because they cant afford something...yet I dont want to be responsble for someone elses potential actions. Should i subsidize someone elses poor health? How can we blame someone for randomly getting a disease?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
i think its a conundrum. morality vs logic. I dont want anyone to suffer because they cant afford something...yet I dont want to be responsble for someone elses potential actions. Should i subsidize someone elses poor health? How can we blame someone for randomly getting a disease?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk
After all this mess we've gotten ourselves into, I am a firm believer that the health of my fellow Americans is paramount.

Even in spite of the fact many of them don't seem to care. Poor eating habits, lack of exercise, even less knowledge, some areas of our country are a huge drain on the medical facilities and increase costs like crazy. So if you have health insurance, you're already responsible for someone else's actions....and/or genetic disposition.

Some people are cursed gentically, and we have the ability to help them, as opposed to telling FYGM

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have spent over $2,000 on health care for myself and my wife in the last 12 months. This was all caused by ACA and the Cadillac tax.

Why dont you pay for my health care. Put your money where your mouth is.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
They have millions of aborted future democrats to catch up to in that regard.

lol if you think Jane, the god-fearing conservative republican "darling of abstinence" hasn't aborted about 5 of her little sex babies by the time she reaches college. :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

so like, in the red states where residents have to go to another state to get their abortion because republicans are idiots?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I have spent over $2,000 on health care for myself and my wife in the last 12 months. This was all caused by ACA and the Cadillac tax.

You just told us that you have a better insurance plan than the vast majority of Americans and you are whining about it. We're telling you that a single payer system gets rid of the financial uncertainty of the current corrupt system. Yes, taxes will go up but premiums, copays, co-insurance, caps, pre-existing condition exclusions, and denials of coverage go away. Single payer liberates people to pursue their dreams.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I have stage IV cancer & my insurance via work is now $600 a month for two people and $1,000 deductible & $2,500 in max copays. Lots of meatless meals planned around here.

The day will come when I am too sick to work, COBRA will cost over $2,500 a month & I will be uninsurable on the free market. High Risk pools typically have waiting periods. sky high premiums & offer meager benefits.

Telling you I am afraid is an understatement...

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
Why not find Piasabird there, rip his skin off, and wear it? That way you get his "Cadillac" health plan. ...that *is* how it works, right? Like taking someone's water for your tribe?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I have stage IV cancer & my insurance via work is now $600 a month for two people and $1,000 deductible & $2,500 in max copays. Lots of meatless meals planned around here.

The day will come when I am too sick to work, COBRA will cost over $2,500 a month & I will be uninsurable on the free market. High Risk pools typically have waiting periods. sky high premiums & offer meager benefits.

Stay strong and enjoy your time.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

That's all? Damn dude.

edit: Seriously, are you so out of touch with other people's lifestyles that you don't know how inexpensive $200 a month is for health care? (I'm assuming you mean health insurance)

If you honestly feel like this is outrageous, I suggest you start paying attention.

My family of four was paying $9600/year, until my wife got a better option, and that's a local town job in which she's part of the MTA (massachusetts teachers union), and it's still $6k per year....but saving $300 each month means we can pay all of our old medical bills and then save some.

Edit 2: that same company we were paying 800 a month to lost an estimated 80 million customers confidential health information. Anthem BCBS is a turd sandwich.

Where was their infrastructure spending protecting their customers? They don't give a shit about anything but money. Health insurance corporations can eat shit for all I care.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I find it odd how people like piasabird either haven't thought about or just ignore the fact that at least some of the taxes and insurance payments they've made over their lives have gone towards helping other people, then when the same happens with medical cover, that's Really Bad.

That's just aside from the fact that the definition of a civilised society is the non-optional notion that people are helping each other. Otherwise we're still living in caves, fending for ourselves and stealing other peoples' shit.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Thank you for sharing your struggle. Stay strong.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
You just told us that you have a better insurance plan than the vast majority of Americans and you are whining about it. We're telling you that a single payer system gets rid of the financial uncertainty of the current corrupt system. Yes, taxes will go up but premiums, copays, co-insurance, caps, pre-existing condition exclusions, and denials of coverage go away. Single payer liberates people to pursue their dreams.

The "premiums, copays, co-insurance, caps, pre-existing condition exclusions, and denials of coverage go away" almost certainly won't cover the additional taxes those who do pay those now will need to pay in the future to also pay for 'universal medical care' for those who don't pay either copays or income taxes.

And considering all of one individual state has even tried to attempt a 'universal healthcare' and that ended in utter failure, it's not like we have a proof of concept in the U.S. for you to point to either. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont_health_care_reform

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The "premiums, copays, co-insurance, caps, pre-existing condition exclusions, and denials of coverage go away" almost certainly won't cover the additional taxes those who do pay those now will need to pay in the future to also pay for 'universal medical care' for those who don't pay either copays or income taxes.

And considering all of one individual state has even tried to attempt a 'universal healthcare' and that ended in utter failure, it's not like we have a proof of concept in the U.S. for you to point to either. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont_health_care_reform

You of course have a proof of concept for every other developed nation on earth, but who's counting? Hahaha.

I always love how conservatives, when confronted with successful government programs in other countries, always declare that the US is magically and uniquely incapable of success for reasons they insist are there but cannot identify.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

If my taxes double but my healthcare expenses are covered under that tax increase, I come out ahead. It is in my self interest to support a single payer system. My life mission does not include defending tax shelters for the wealthy. If the vast majority learned to vote their self interests, single payer would be a done deal.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
You of course have a proof of concept for every other developed nation on earth, but who's counting? Hahaha.

I always love how conservatives, when confronted with successful government programs in other countries, always declare that the US is magically and uniquely incapable of success for reasons they insist are there but cannot identify.

And yet Vermont wasn't able to do it nor has any other liberal state and you've not really even tried. This despite this being a top priority for your side for the course of decades. What's up, are you in NY and other states incompetent and unable to execute a state-level universal healthcare plan unless you have the support of all the red states for your backing? If this was as great as you say then one thinks every blue state would have already set this up on their own eons ago.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
MA did it in 2004, Romney was our governor who kicked it off.

I had to pay the fine for at least one year, maybe two, because my employers didn't offer healthcare to part timers. I worked two part times to help pay for schooling.

But hey, keep on truckin there glenn

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And yet Vermont wasn't able to do it nor has any other liberal state and you've not really even tried. This despite this being a top priority for your side for the course of decades. What's up, are you in NY and other states incompetent and unable to execute a state-level universal healthcare plan unless you have the support of all the red states for your backing? If this was as great as you say then one thinks every blue state would have already set this up on their own eons ago.

Yep, totally called it. It won't work for reasons you cannot identify.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
ITT people confuse health CARE and health INSURANCE.

Nobody is denied health care in a hospital emergency room.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

That's all. Sounds like you got a fantastic deal.