GOP Rep. Charlie Dent to leave house "in weeks"

Jan 25, 2011
OK now I'm curious what's going on. He announced near the end of last year he wouldn't run for reelection but this seems surprising that he would vacate now.

Hopefully it isn't health related.

So far only twitter alerts.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Here's the official statement. He's out in May.

All he says is that it's following "careful reflection" and talks with his family. Is it health? Some impending scandal? Or something relatively mundane, like important family business, that makes it better to bow out now instead of carrying out his term?

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
Or his family begging him to get away from the mess sooner rather than later?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Pure speculation--I wonder if it has anything to do with his job as chair of the House Ethics Committee and recent #metoo scandals.

I actually think he's one of the least insane members of his party--the GOP needs more practical Republicans like him to stay in the wake of the Trump presidency.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Pure speculation--I wonder if it has anything to do with his job as chair of the House Ethics Committee and recent #metoo scandals.

I actually think he's one of the least insane members of his party--the GOP needs more practical Republicans like him to stay in the wake of the Trump presidency.
Probably worn out from making excuses for Trump. Trump Exhaustion.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
He's generally been a critic of Trump since he took office. Sure he voted along party lines though...
I probably should have just said, worn out by Trump. I realize he's never been a fan. It's odd him not staying for the duration, even if he has no plans to run.

Jan 25, 2011
I probably should have just said, worn out by Trump. I realize he's never been a fan. It's odd him not staying for the duration, even if he has no plans to run.
Yeah that's what got me posting it. Something is making him do it now. He announced last September and waited 8 months to possibly now force a special election for a few months of a seat?

Doesn't make sense.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Definitely makes you wonder why, all of a sudden, he's bailing. I can understand not running again when his term is over...but walking away mid-term?

Seems like the obvious reasons are (a) health issue, or (b) impending scandal about to become public. (has he been hanging around in any airport bathrooms lately?) :D

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
...or (b) impending scandal about to become public. (has he been hanging around in any airport bathrooms lately?) :D
Well, if his sudden retirement were due to "airport bathroom" or similar shenanigans, unlike other closeted GOP politicians, Dent has consistently supported gay rights. So he has that going for him!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Is he on the RNC finance committee or any other morally/ethically deplorable entity that would be revealed in the Cohen information dump?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Perhaps it's just a consequence of new PA district maps, Ryan leaving and/or trying to get some advantage of incumbency before the midterm.

He's a lame duck now, so he's rather useless to the party electorally.

Same with Ryan. Not be shocked to see him go before January.

Feb 4, 2009
Well, if his sudden retirement were due to "airport bathroom" or similar shenanigans, unlike other closeted GOP politicians, Dent has consistently supported gay rights. So he has that going for him!

Hey that was a “wide stance” no shenanigans going on in n the bathroom

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
If I were a billionaire with a desire to dabble in politics, I'd start bankrolling all these retiring Republicans to form a legit alt-conservative party for moderates.