GOP POTUS candidate: Need a friend, get somebody who's Jewish

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I thought it was get a dog but that wasn't the only ham-handed attempt at pandering, some bordered on anti-Semitic. More of the notable quotes. The competence is strong with this field

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/03/polit...ewish-coalition-candidates-awkward/index.html

Trump
"I'm a negotiator like you folks, we are negotiators." On the Iran nuclear deal: "Is there anybody that doesn't renegotiate deals in this room?" "This room negotiates them — perhaps more than any other room I've ever spoken in." And then this: "You're not gonna support me because I don't want your money. You want to control your politicians, that's fine."

Kasich
"if you want to look for a really good friend, get somebody who's Jewish."

Carson
You'll have to judge for yourself if the six-pointed star is actually there. The one dollar bill on its back features a collection of five-pointed stars that together loosely resemble the Star of David -- if you look very closely. Carson also inspired ribbing for repeatedly pronouncing "Hamas" as "hummus."

Gilmore
"Last night I was watching 'Schindler's List.' Everybody here has seen 'Schindler's List.'"

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The GOP doesn't have a "POTUS candidate" and won't until after the primary.

Fern

False. He has filed the necessary paperwork, which makes him legally a candidate for president. As part of this paperwork he listed his party affiliation as Republican.

He is, as a matter of law, a GOP candidate for president.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
False. He has filed the necessary paperwork, which makes him legally a candidate for president. As part of this paperwork he listed his party affiliation as Republican.

Not true. Many states have "sore loser" laws like WA - They're trying to run as Republicans. If in states like mine they do NOT win the primary, then they cannot run as independent, and as such aren't a viable candidate by state law.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Not true. Many states have "sore loser" laws like WA - They're trying to run as Republicans. If in states like mine they do NOT win the primary, then they cannot run as independent, and as such aren't a viable candidate by state law.

Have you no write-ins?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

This is federal law, not state, and he's a candidate by federal law.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Nope. The "GOP" hasn't yet chosen their candidate.

Fern

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Have you no write-ins?

We do - to have those counted for you, you must register in the state and have a petition with some number of signatures iirc; to register, you may not have attempted to run under a party ticket during the primary and lost.

So in effect, if Paul doesn't get the nomination in WA, fails and someone decides to be stubborn in WA and write him in, their vote is literally not counted.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Hey, that wasn't racist at all.

I mean even Florida reclassified "Jew Fish" as "Goliath Groupers" long ago.

I guess he was in "WTF, I've been doing things like this for years" mode at that point anyway.

Makes me want to spew a bit, honestly.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The guys a dick but I didn't see much more than him being the socially awkward arsehole that he normally is.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Sorry, not how the law works. There's really no arguing this.

The law in effect here is the 'law' of grammar. The OP's choice of phrasing indicates he is the GOP's candidate, as if he won the primary. (We do have non-US people here whether lurking or posting. A little clarity is not too much to ask.)

Fern

Jan 25, 2011
The law in effect here is the 'law' of grammar. The OP's choice of phrasing indicates he is the GOP's candidate, as if he won the primary. (We do have non-US people here whether lurking or posting. A little clarity is not too much to ask.)

Fern

Only if you want to be a pedantic ass. He is, in fact, a GOP candidate for President. Pretty straight forward really.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I'd say candidate is accurate, he hasn't been nominated.

Still is just splitting hairs, we can do better than that guys, than to argue about that one.

It is pretty minor.

:)

Rhonda the Sly

Nov 22, 2007
Lindsey Graham jobs program
Not to be outdone, South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham suggested, "I may have the first all-Jewish cabinet in America."
Um.. okay..

It's beyond simply discomforting what politicians go around saying to score points with people. And also not so much that they think it might be helpful but that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.