GOP opposes Secure Elections Act

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
It sure won't. The DNC has to find another foreign national to be the cutout for getting information from Russian sources.
were you born a moron or did you work at it your whole life?
you do know it was the republican candidate during the last presidential election that blatantly asked for, AND received help from russia?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It sure won't. The DNC has to find another foreign national to be the cutout for getting information from Russian sources.
Pucture this, at Helsinki Putin ADMITTED he wanted Trump to win and helped him. Yet according to brandonbullshitter that doesn't matter the Dems are the guilty party.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Let me see . . . there seems to be a disagreement about the use of paper ballots versus electronic methods, some of which might offer access with cell-phones, tablets, lap-tops etc.

Now, think about this. We could study the design of ballots in various states, but I only have my firsthand experience in California. Some years ago, everyone in our family chose to use the "absentee ballot" method so they could get their ballot in the mail and return it by mail.

What advantage is there over a paper mail-in ballot and electronic ballots, if someone has to go to a polling place to use an electronic device? That's the first question.

And what is the difference in completing at home a paper ballot to mail in, as opposed to checking boxes or radio buttons from a mobile device? If you receive a paper ballot in the mail, you could take it with you to places where you'd want to have a cell-phone, and you could mail the completed ballot at that location.

In CA, the paper ballots simply require one to draw a line between the tail and head of an arrow pointing at the selected candidate. So you just draw some lines. Would you really want to fiddle with an online data entry screen with a mobile device? To do what? Select checkboxes or radio buttons?

The only chain of custody issue for a mail-in ballot involves the USPS. The USPS delivers and picks up mail in some 161,000 voting precincts. Who's going to infiltrate the USPS with any ability to intercept ballots? Unlikely. And contrary to the psychotic fantasies of GOP ideologues, the USPS is a reliable and fantastic institution, despite GOP efforts to emasculate it.

My reading of the bill didn't seem to me that it actually pushes toward paper vs. electronic methods directly, but I also am not confident I understood it in totality. The way I read it, though, it seems to push more for a process to identify and support institution of best practices as determined by a non-political advisory board. Part of those best practices is determining which systems to use and part is a process to identify and make transparent when a potential vulnerability needs to be examined further.

I do think that it threatens some of the ways which the GOP has tried to structure in advantages through voting systems, and they don't want those advantages to be flagged and exposed and don't want anyone with actual clout telling them that they are choosing by design to introduce vulnerability.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Some people don't purchase online, use online banking or even the more drastic use case of using credit cards because they are worried about hackers and viruses. It is a good thing we didn't make all our decisions based on that type of thinking.

The only people that don't like paper trails are the people that are trying to get away with various forms of fraud. It has always been so.

Reactions: Meghan54

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
What's this, Mitch McConnell once again turning his back on his country for party gain?

Weird, I feel like I've seen this a couple dozen times already. He and his wife, such busy little crooks.
Major swamp denizens.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

You delusional twit. Trump is publicly inviting foreign governments to feed him dirt in 2020. He's literally on TV saying "collusion? Yes please I'll have another."

Gee? What kindly, trustworthy allied govt would meddle in our elections?

Russia? Are you listening? Can you please find out what country(ies) Trump would like to collude with? I think Brandonbull would reward you handsomely.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
So you don't think there would be opposition to going back to only paper ballots? Hey, lets go back 56k modems, cassette/vhs tapes, tube TVs while we're at it.

i get a paper mail in ballot every election and get a email when the county clerk receives it. its a great system.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You delusional twit. Trump is publicly inviting foreign governments to feed him dirt in 2020. He's literally on TV saying "collusion? Yes please I'll have another."

Gee? What kindly, trustworthy allied govt would meddle in our elections?

Russia? Are you listening? Can you please find out what country(ies) Trump would like to collude with? I think Brandonbull would reward you handsomely.

holy fuck @ Benedict Tumplethinskin.

This fucking QUISLING needs to find a tree.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i get a paper mail in ballot every election and get a email when the county clerk receives it. its a great system.

well, depending on which county you live in, there is a chance that Russian agents are casting your ballot for you, after they intercept the scan, lol.

no seriously, that is what seems to be happening.

But I guess it's still good for you, so whatever.

fucking Quislings.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hey, @ MITCH MCCONNEL: Our POTUS TODAY BEGGED FOR FOREIGN ANTAGONISTS TO INTERFERE IN OUR ELECTIONS AND SWAY THE VOTE IN HIS FAVOR. IMPEACH NOW OR FACE CHARGES.

Right, is that how it works? Does Mitch do the internet?

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
well, depending on which county you live in, there is a chance that Russian agents are casting your ballot for you, after they intercept the scan, lol.

no seriously, that is what seems to be happening.

But I guess it's still good for you, so whatever.

fucking Quislings.

like i said, paper ballots that i either drop in the mail or at a very secure drop box is a great system. guess im lucky to live in a county that has their shit together.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
like i said, paper ballots that i either drop in the mail or at a very secure drop box is a great system. guess im lucky to live in a county that has their shit together.

fuck, I missed the paper part. Please excuse my so far ~4, 10%+ beers and no food + stress, sheets that I have...carelessly tossed into the wind this evening.

:D :beercheers:

Feb 4, 2009
:

This level of stupidity bothers me. I can’t let it go.
@brandonbull below is a video of the President asking for help from Russia.
Please back your statement up and show me (I’ll make it easy) ANY Democrat candidate for President asking directly for help from ANY country other than America.

I saw you on the board moments ago @brandonbull the President has double downed regarding foreign help, on video again.
When should I expect you to provide a audio or video of ANY Democrat Canidate asking for help getting elected from ANY other country

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Feb 4, 2009
@brandonbull you recently posted in another thread.
The President has now said twice he’d accept help from a foreign country.
Please show a video of ANY Democrat Candidate asking for help from ANY foreign Country.
I’m still waiting for you to backup your claim.