GOP leaders threaten Nick Smith (R) son's campaign over Medicare vote

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Was Smith was an eyewitness to a federal crime? Are bribery charges far behind? Will Republicans simply write this off as "hardball politics?"

Source: Robert Novak

During 14 years in the Michigan Legislature and 11 years in Congress, Rep. Nick Smith had never experienced anything like it. House Speaker Dennis Hastert and Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson, in the wee hours last Saturday morning, pressed him to vote for the Medicare bill. But Smith refused. Then things got personal.

Smith, self term-limited, is leaving Congress. His lawyer son Brad is one of five Republicans seeking to replace him from a GOP district in Michigan's southern tier. On the House floor, Nick Smith was told business interests would give his son $100,000 in return for his father's vote. When he still declined, fellow Republican House members told him they would make sure Brad Smith never came to Congress. After Nick Smith voted no and the bill passed, Duke Cunningham of California and other Republicans taunted him that his son was dead meat.

<snip...>

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I am shocked. The house GOP is just a rubber stamp for Bush. No wonder he never had to use his veto. He and GOP congress wholeheartedly agree on explosive growth of the Federal government.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
I am shocked. The house GOP is just a rubber stamp for Bush. No wonder he never had to use his veto. He and GOP congress wholeheartedly agree on explosive growth of the Federal government.
You are? These neo-cons are sick police state militant fsks. Forget about treason with Valerie Plame or Hatches henchmen busting into kennedys office?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
The important story is that President Bush kept his promise to provide a drug benefit for Medicare recipients. He's a "whatever it takes" kind of guy . . . that's why barba . . . that's why people like him.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
The Republicans are quite a bit more heavy handed than the Dems, but the Dems pull the same sort of stuff all the time. You should live in Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia, or D.C. and you'd understand. Ward politics are down and dirty and all politics are local, except MAYBE the presidential election.

This stuff shouldn't shock anyone on THIS forum. Now, my wife would think the Elephant Noses are tur*s. :)
But she's a cockeyed believer in truth, beauty and justice.

-Robert

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
The important story is that President Bush kept his promise to provide a drug benefit for Medicare recipients. He's a "whatever it takes" kind of guy . . . that's why barba . . . that's why people like him.
You read Al's book too didn't you?

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Follow up from USA Today:

WASHINGTON ? Democrats and a legal watchdog group have asked Attorney General John Ashcroft to investigate allegations that Republicans offered a House member $100,000 in contributions for his son's election campaign if he would vote for a Medicare prescription drug benefit passed by Congress last month.

Such an offer could be interpreted as a bribe that violates federal law, Democrats and outside legal experts said. Ashcroft spokesman Mark Corallo said Thursday that the attorney general's office will review a letter requesting an investigation from Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe.

I hope McAuliffe actually shows some balls and pushes this thing further. The American people need to be made aware of the abuses that can take place when they vote a single party into all the major sections of a government. Whether its the Republicans with the federal government or the Democrats with the California government (until recently of course), abuses and corruption will occur and bad governing will go relatively unnoticed.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
That's ridiculous. I have no faith in Ashcroft investigating anyone. It's the same old crap that happened with the Valerie Plame (CIA agent) vetting case. "Oh sure, let's get the DoJ to investigate it ... snicker ..." Meanwhile, the whole thing leads absolutely nowhere. What a joke. Why not just have the RNC investigate its own members for any wrong-doing. I'm sure they'd get to the bottom of things.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Anyone want to bet that this trail goes back to Tom Delay ?
He's the type of evil son-of-a bitch that seems to get away with this time and time again.
The 'Leadership' (?) of the GOP, disgusting. Power crazed egotists.
If the Democrats would have done anything remotely like this - Cruxified !

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Didn't he recant his story?

Official Backs Colleagues

Rep. Nick Smith (R-Mich.) said unnamed House colleagues had told him that "interested groups" might help his son's congressional campaign if the lawmaker would vote for Medicare legislation that faced a showdown vote Nov. 22. But no one offered financial assistance, he said, despite news accounts to the contrary. "I believe no member violated any ethical rule in this episode," he said.

Smith, who plans to retire from Congress next year, was the subject of intense pleas from GOP colleagues to vote for the Medicare bill in last month's dramatic pre-dawn roll call. He refused, and some lawmakers reportedly said the decision could hurt his son Brad's hopes of succeeding his father.

Columnist Robert D. Novak reported last week that Nick Smith was told on the House floor that "business interests" would give his son's campaign $100,000 if the father voted for the Medicare plan. In his statement, issued Wednesday, Rep. Smith said: "I want to make clear that no member of Congress made an offer of financial assistance for my son's campaign in exchange for my vote on the Medicare bill. I was told that my vote could result in interested groups giving substantial and aggressive campaign 'support' and 'endorsements.' No specific reference was made to money." Smith's statement did not name names.
slate.msn.com

ASK THE COMMUNITY