GOP in Alabama attempting to end all abortions and birth control

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
You'll have to follow the bouncing ball because the article does not mention birth control but wait...

http://jezebel.com/5788756/alabama-personhood-law-could-ban-all-abortions

This law will attempt to redefine a person as a fertilized egg. Now comes the second part. Assuming this passed and it wouldn't surprise me, if a fertilized egg is a person and that egg is prevented from entering the uterus it will die (by the bills definition). The most common forms of birth control do just that. The pill, patch, injections of depo-provera, progestion and the IUD would become illegal since thay all cause the "death" of fertilized eggs.

Say hello to big government conservatism. I thought it was all about jobs??

They do not. BC (even the "morning after pill") prevents ovulation, which means that eggs are never made available to be fertilized. Once an egg is fertilized, hormonal birth control won't do you any good.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Something as horrifying as killing one's offspring is no longer a private affair, and shouldn't be disguised as one. The south made a similar complaint during the slavery debate.

Slaves can live on their own once freed. You can't get around the unborn dying when you free their masters from the role of providing support.

If the government has an interest in protecting the right of its citizens simply to live,

It doesn't.

inanimateobjectswithfac.jpg

Last edited:

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
I for one am ashamed that my state is doing this. It is a travesty in terms of women's rights and privacy. It is a step backwards in both these areas. Hopefully this will get the proper SCOTUS smack-down it deserves.

On another note, Governor Bentley kind of reminds me of Montgomery Burns from the Simpsons. He is almost a perfect caricature.

And what's appalling is that there is so many other things that have a higher priority in our state, LIKE A NEW CONSTITUTION THAT ISN'T THE LONGEST IN THE FUCKING WORLD.

Also,
5368719467_82f9a26989.jpg

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They do not. BC (even the "morning after pill") prevents ovulation, which means that eggs are never made available to be fertilized. Once an egg is fertilized, hormonal birth control won't do you any good.

Don't know about the morning after pill but all the methods I mentioned prevent fertilized eggs from attaching to the wall of the uterus and becoming unviable.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I wonder how they'll prosecute "miscarriages".

I mean a lady might "fall down some stairs" or drink abusively not knowing she's pregnant.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
And what's appalling is that there is so many other things that have a higher priority in our state, LIKE A NEW CONSTITUTION THAT ISN'T THE LONGEST IN THE FUCKING WORLD.

Also,
5368719467_82f9a26989.jpg
Yep. With the right leadership in our state, we really could be an economic powerhouse. But no, we keep electing people who focus on the faux "culture wars" issues instead of things that would actually improve the lives of our citizens.

Also, LOL on the .jpg there. I hadn't viewed them side by side yet...it is an uncanny resemblence, is it not?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I believe this is a good example of a line Jon Stewart said "Conservatives who care about the life of a child from the moment of conception ... right up until the moment of birth"

This is absolutely true. It's about the GOP pandering to their religious base and trying to enforce a religious morality where women are punished for engaging in immoral sexual behavior by being forced to either raise a child or give it up for adoption.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Fuck :\ I need to email my state congressmen.

The morning after pill has saved me more than once.

Wouldn't hurt, but we're been told that introducing legislation doesn't matter. If that's the case then this won't go very far and you'll not have to stock up :D

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Incorrect, at least according to the Catholics-

http://catholicinsight.com/online/bioethics/mornpill.shtml

Combination birth control pills may inhibit embryo implantation- it's a matter of debate.

Other possible secondary mechanisms may exist. For instance, the brochure for Bayer's YAZ mentions changes in the endometrial effects that reduce the likelihood of implantation of an embryo in the uterus.[71] Some pro-life groups consider such a mechanism to be abortifacient, and the existence of postfertilization mechanisms is a controversial topic. Some scientists point out that the possibility of fertilization during COCP use is very small. From this, they conclude that endometrial changes are unlikely to play an important role, if any, in the observed effectiveness of COCPs.[70] Others make more complex arguments against the existence of these mechanisms,[72] while yet other scientists argue the existing data supports such mechanisms.[73] The controversy is currently unresolved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_oral_contraceptive_pill

Since the matter is unresolved, it seems likely that pro-life groups who are driving this legislation will want birth control pills banned until such time as there isn't a scintilla of doubt, which will be never...

Much the same can be said for IUD's, as well.

It's like the Iraqis trying to prove they didn't have WMD's- Nothing they could have done would have convinced the fringe-whacks, nor will it in this matter, either.

caegheorde

Mar 23, 2012
MAP prevents ovulation. It DOES NOT dislodge a fertilized egg from the uterine wall.

Ugh. Stupid motherfuckers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RU486

Mifepristone (AKA RU486 and the Morning After Pill) is sold outside the U.S. by Exelgyn Laboratories as Mifegyne, made in France, and is approved for:

1. Medical termination of intrauterine pregnancies of up to 49 days gestation (up to 63 days gestation in Britain and Sweden)
  2. Softening and dilatation of the cervix prior to mechanical cervical dilatation for pregnancy termination
  3. Use in combination with gemeprost for termination of pregnancies between 13 and 24 weeks gestation
  4. Labor induction in fetal death in utero.[15]
Cool Shades :hmm: but you really need to mind your manners and get your facts right before you open your mouth.

Oh, yeah, diamonds are noted for being extremely hard and, under the right kind of pressure, shattering. Just an aside.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
It is a sad fact that we are prepared to kill our own offspring to make our lives more suitable.

LOL. Dude get off your freaking high horse.

First of all there is such a thing as the separation of church and state. Laws should not be passed on religious doctrine. They should be passed on practicality. Abortion is a highly practical practice. Highly practical. The reasons cited for outlawing it are highly impractical.

If you can come up with a logical, practical argument why a 16 year old girl who is pregnant, poor, lives in a dangerous household with an abusive father shouldn't have access to an abortion, I'd like to hear it. But if you want to spout religious bigotry, go tell it to your pastor. Concerning the above case I can give a million reasons why society benefits from her having access to at least one abortion.

Last edited:

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
MAP prevents ovulation. It DOES NOT dislodge a fertilized egg from the uterine wall.

Ugh. Stupid motherfuckers...

Mifepristone (AKA RU486 and the Morning After Pill) is sold outside the U.S. by Exelgyn Laboratories as Mifegyne, made in France, and is approved for:

1. Medical termination of intrauterine pregnancies of up to 49 days gestation (up to 63 days gestation in Britain and Sweden)
  2. Softening and dilatation of the cervix prior to mechanical cervical dilatation for pregnancy termination
  3. Use in combination with gemeprost for termination of pregnancies between 13 and 24 weeks gestation
Cool Shades :hmm: but you really need to mind your manners and get your facts right before you open your mouth.

Oh, yeah, diamonds are noted for being extremely hard and, under the right kind of pressure, shattering. Just an aside.

Link to a fact sheet stating mifepristone is a MAP, please.

Even these fucktards say they're different:

http://www.christianliferesources.c...the-morning-after-pill-are-they-the-same-1023

Maybe you can rise (sink?) to their level...

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
LMAO anyone who would try to end all abortions and birth control or thinks it's the right thing to do is a fucking idiot.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

Mifeprestone/RU486 IS NOT the "morning after pill". Get YOUR facts right.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
LMAO anyone who would try to end all abortions and birth control or thinks it's the right thing to do is a fucking idiot.

Not really. It is very logical to assume that human life begins at inception and that life is sacred. Once you make these two fundamental assumptions pro life is a given. The logic that shows these two conclusions to be logically flawed is what is hard for the blind to see. Life begins at inception and life is sacred absolutely and at all times except when the absolute following of these guidelines leads to their violation. You cannot subordinate the life of a woman who has a biological imperative to enjoy having sex, the inability to volitionally block conception, such that her life is enslaved by the rights of the fetus.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
We have to get some kind of anit-necro rules around here. There is absolutely no new development that warrents a BRAND NEW POSTER reviving a nearly year old thread.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
We have to get some kind of anit-necro rules around here. There is absolutely no new development that warrents a BRAND NEW POSTER reviving a nearly year old thread.

This. P&N needs a statute of limitations type rule. Not that i mind this thread, but the debate has moved elsewhere (say, the Limbaugh thread or the various Catholic Church threads..). Unless there is an update to how this bill/law has been taken up in Alabama, it should remain moot.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Not really. It is very logical to assume that human life begins at inception and that life is sacred. Once you make these two fundamental assumptions pro life is a given. The logic that shows these two conclusions to be logically flawed is what is hard for the blind to see. Life begins at inception and life is sacred absolutely and at all times except when the absolute following of these guidelines leads to their violation. You cannot subordinate the life of a woman who has a biological imperative to enjoy having sex, the inability to volitionally block conception, such that her life is enslaved by the rights of the fetus.

I don't even think its logical to assume human life begins at inception, nor that life is sacred. Sperm, eggs, and fertilized eggs ultimately are just cells. The idea of life is a philosophical one. Talking about what it means to be alive is like talking about what its means to have a soul or talking about what it means to be rational. You cannot start pointing at MRIs and brain development and saying "bam thats where reason first started". Aquinas, a major influence on the catholic church, wrote that he didn't believe a person was even really a person until they turned 7 years old.

Concerning life being sacred, I can't even agree with that myself. Something like >90 percent of all species that have ever lived are now extinct. Man has been around for a pretty short time period and yet has developed this idea that we too are meant to be around forever as if we have such a right to exist infinitely ourselves. Honestly, I can't say I totally agree with that notion.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Yep. With the right leadership in our state, we really could be an economic powerhouse. But no, we keep electing people who focus on the faux "culture wars" issues instead of things that would actually improve the lives of our citizens.

Also, LOL on the .jpg there. I hadn't viewed them side by side yet...it is an uncanny resemblence, is it not?

My wife is usually ashamed of her home state over shit like this. She is from Alabama also and it depresses her to see stupid shit like this and this part makes her happy she doesn't live there now.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I just want to witness the kind of sh!tstorm GOP will face if USSC dares to overturn Roe v. Wade. They will lose women's vote for a generation.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Too stupid to learn from your mistakes? Once is a mistake, more than once is a pattern of poor decisions and behavior.

Ahem...
Some of us dudes don't have to use a rubber band at the bottom of their condoms to keep them on, they break during use.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
To be fair: contraception that would be banned just encourages the spread of disease.