GOP eases lead paint laws after $750,000 in donations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
This is relevant to this thread:

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...s-scott-walker-gets-facts-wrong-john-doe-case

Last week, the Guardian, a British left-wing paper, released nearly 1,500 pages from the investigation into whether Walker “illegally” coordinated with third-party groups such as the Club for Growth during his 2012 recall election campaign. The Times asserts that these groups “are not allowed to work with a campaign to urge voters to vote for a candidate, because that would essentially allow donors to funnel money toward these groups to get around contribution limits that apply to campaign committees.”

Yet this assertion is flatly false. A Wisconsin state judge, two Milwaukee-based federal judges, the Wisconsin Supreme Court, and the federal Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago have all ruled that relevant portions of Wisconsin state law are unconstitutional, which is why not a single person investigated in this aspect of the probe has ever been charged with anything.

The argument basically comes down to whether state laws apply to “issue” advocacy (ads that don’t expressly urge voting for or against a specific candidate) in the same way they apply to “express” advocacy (ads that explicitly direct the viewer to “vote for” or “vote against” a candidate).

Virtually every court that has considered the Doe probe has come to the same conclusion: The state ban on coordination between candidates and third-party groups applies only to express advocacy. Issue advocacy, on the other hand, is outside the framework of the state’s election law: The state cannot regulate “issue” television ads any more than it can regulate those insufferable “Peyton on Sunday Morning” spots. Thus, candidates are free to communicate in any way they want with groups that produce issue ads.

But these facts are too much for the Times editors, who focus their attention on the Guardian’s lengthy article of last week — which, incidentally, says that Walker signed a law inoculating paint manufacturers against nuisance lead-paint lawsuits only after a lead manufacturer donated $750,00 to the Club for Growth (a pro-Walker group) during Walker’s hotly contested recall election. Yet the Guardian article conveniently fails to mention that for nearly a decade, Republicans in the Wisconsin legislature had been pushing a bill to grant “retroactive immunity” to paint companies. Walker signed this bill as soon as Republicans took full control of state government, in 2011. Nor does the Guardian choose to mention that over that decade, left-wing third-party groups had received millions from trial lawyers intent on blocking the proposed bill.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...s-scott-walker-gets-facts-wrong-john-doe-case

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Stole my thunder. Is liability forever?
It depends. Under TSCA, the law that banned lead paint? No. Under CERCLA (SuperFund)? Yes, liability is forever.

Much of health damage related liability litigation stems in the costs of healthcare. If you are facing a lifetime of poverty due to medical bills, sticking those bills on someone else starts to look pretty good.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
It depends. Under TSCA, the law that banned lead paint? No. Under CERCLA (SuperFund)? Yes, liability is forever.

Much of health damage related liability litigation stems in the costs of healthcare. If you are facing a lifetime of poverty due to medical bills, sticking those bills on someone else starts to look pretty good.

Does that mean we should revert to an Israeli style 'collective punishment' policy? "We know one of you damn Palestinians launched that rocket, so we're going to bomb the shit out of that entire city block and you'll like it" now becomes "we know one of you paint makers supplied the paint so we're going to sue the shit out of all of you and you'll like it?"

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Does that mean we should revert to an Israeli style 'collective punishment' policy? "We know one of you damn Palestinians launched that rocket, so we're going to bomb the shit out of that entire city block and you'll like it" now becomes "we know one of you paint makers supplied the paint so we're going to sue the shit out of all of you and you'll like it?"
I've inadvertently muddled the thread by bring CERCLA into it. I apologize for that. TSCA liability doesn't work that way. But CERCLA liability is exactly that way, "strict, joint, and several". Congress decided that it is better that a hundred almost innocent bystanders get fragged than one taxpayer dime gets spent.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Stole my thunder. Is liability forever?

I sometimes wonder if something is going to happen to me. I have soldered with lead on a monthly basis for decades now. I am around it ALL the time.
Sometimes I wonder too, but its not the lead. I used to like the smell of solder flux. You know that wonderful pine balsam smell. Unfortunately, it's what in the flux that's bad for you. I used to do a lot of soldering in the early days of my career.

Oh the link http://www.elexp.com/Images/Health_Hazards.PDF

Roflmouth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2015
Does that mean we should revert to an Israeli style 'collective punishment' policy? "We know one of you damn Palestinians launched that rocket, so we're going to bomb the shit out of that entire city block and you'll like it"

When Palestinians stop blowing themselves up like the culturally backwards clowns that they are, Israel might start treating them more humanely. I understand that killing terrorists instead of fellating them is a foreign concept to you, but thankfully, it isn't in Israel.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Sometimes I wonder too, but its not the lead. I used to like the smell of solder flux. You know that wonderful pine balsam smell. Unfortunately, it's what in the flux that's bad for you. I used to do a lot of soldering in the early days of my career.

Oh the link http://www.elexp.com/Images/Health_Hazards.PDF

I also liked to chew on the lead. It felt really cool between my teeth. I chewed but I never ever swallowed. They used to call me lead tooth Larry. I think I will be alright.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I also liked to chew on the lead. It felt really cool between my teeth. I chewed but I never ever swallowed. They used to call me lead tooth Larry. I think I will be alright.

Yeah I don't think so. You clearly have some mental issues.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah I don't think so. You clearly have some mental issues.

Perhaps a gram or two made it into the esophagus... but certainly no more than that. So did the lead cause my mental issues or did I chew the lead because of my existing issues?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Perhaps a gram or two made it into the esophagus... but certainly no more than that. So did the lead cause my mental issues or did I chew the lead because of my existing issues?
You need to figure this out. You should get to a lawyer right away.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Sounds like a bad case of pica. With your new details, I would be a bit worried.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
You need to figure this out. You should get to a lawyer right away.

You know I should! You all are witnesses to my aberrant behavior, it truly is time to get paid. Eat a piece of lead to get a slice of the American pie....

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
LOL, liberal idiots are still pissed off beyond belief that Walker shit all over public union parasites, and suffered no political fallout as a result.

Considering teachers parasites rather explains these folks' educational attainment.

I've inadvertently muddled the thread by bring CERCLA into it. I apologize for that. TSCA liability doesn't work that way. But CERCLA liability is exactly that way, "strict, joint, and several". Congress decided that it is better that a hundred almost innocent bystanders get fragged than one taxpayer dime gets spent.

You should have a conversation with roflmouth about spending taxpayer money.