Google will now power AOL search results

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Some of you may have seen this if you went by Google today. I know nobody here uses AOL (at least the forums USED to block AOL IPs.) So save the AOL cracks. But if you run a web site and monitor your traffic closely this is worth noting since AOL has a ton of users.

http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/aol.html

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/020430/tech_overture_urgent_1.html

Also worth noting is that Yahoo just renewed its pay-per-click advertising contract with Overture for the next 3 years (an eternity in the online advertising world.) For PPC you currently can't beat Overture's system.

As somebody who does search engine optimization and PPC advertising for a living I think this is MOSTLY a good move all around. Obviously it's great to have Google servicing AOL for their pure search engine results (although Google's AdWords is currently a VERY weak alternative to Overture.) And with Yahoo renewing the Oveture contract that still gives advertisers additional access to the largest SEARCH provider online. AOL has the most users and visitors, but Yahoo forwards the most search traffic.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

<<

<<

<< I use AOL. >>

Sorry to hear that.
>>

Why?
>>

AOL's disgusting. Its a freekin commercial for everything you do, as it also profiles your every click. Not only that I heard of numerous problems people have when they decide to change over to something else or uninstall it, as aol modifies system settings so much. (I've never used it so I don't know what this refers to tho).

I'm happy for google that they got this contract, although bummed to see AOL get better, because the service deserves to DIE!!!!:D

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000

<< Its a freekin commercial for everything you do, as it also profiles your every click >>

It only keeps track of which AOL ads you click on so it can fine tune the advertising. You can turn the ads off though.

<< Not only that I heard of numerous problems people have when they decide to change over to something else or uninstall it, as aol modifies system settings so much. >>

Most people choose those settings before they uninstall AOL without even knowing what they are. More problems are caused buy people who don't know what the hell they are doing with a computer than by most of the software out there.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001

<< I use AOL. >>

My condolonces.

Frolodo

Feb 13, 2002

<<

<< I use AOL. >>

My condolonces.
>>

i think it was funnier the second time. :)

(i hope you dont get mad at my response)