Google Voice app and site updated:

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Both the Android app and site got a UI overhaul. iOS coming soon.

They aren't "unmerging" from Hangouts but are offering a few more features in the new app and site.

One nice new feature is finally group mms text messaging from the Dekstop!

Still no G-Voice App for Desktop yet and no VoIP calling but it's in the works.

Also talks about better Voice and Fi compatibility too.

The new Voice App is also great if you run two Voice accounts. Easily switch between the two and call back contacts based of the G-Voice they called you from.

Good stuff.

Snag the APK here: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...gle-voice-5-0-144897884-android-apk-download/ if you don't want to wait and it will also update the Desktop site.

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
USSD dialing doesn't work now with 'make all outgoing with GV' option. It will immediately give you an option to dial without using GV, so it's just an extra tap, but the old version does this automatically.

Just to clarify, this is when you dial '*777#' or something similar.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
I tried looking for the G voice page and couldnt find it. Anyone wanna lend a hand? Id appreciate it..

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Cool stuff. I've been using Hangouts for my Google Voice needs for a while now, and it has been going good.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Updated again? Umm it hasn't had an update in a long time...Read here.

What? Yes it has. The link you sent is on the update which I covered in the OP. What are you talking about?

He was saying the Android app had another recent update. As I checked Google Play and it was updated again on the 31st. Just his wording kind of confused me at first when he said "new UI and such". This is after the new UI design that already came out last week on the 23rd. So the second recent update to the Android app and maybe iOS.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
What? Yes it has. The link you sent is on the update which I covered in the OP. What are you talking about?

He was saying the Android app had another recent update. As I checked Google Play and it was updated again on the 31st. Just his wording kind of confused me at first when he said "new UI and such". This is after the new UI design that already came out last week on the 23rd. So the second recent update to the Android app.
You realize that the major update was rolling out in phases, right? I got my update yesterday, and I stay on top of all app updates.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
It's rolling out to users slowly. The quickest way to get it now is to snag the updated Android APK linked at the bottom of the first post.

This link from an article at The Verge might work too: https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/new no guarantees though. ;)

Yes I know....

You could have also gotten the APK like I listed in the OP. Anyways a second update to the new UI has also came out recently.

Hope the confusion is cleared up.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Yes I know....

You could have also gotten the APK like I listed in the OP. Anyways a second update to the new UI has also came out recently.

Hope the confusion is cleared up.
No thanks, don't trust third party sites for apk.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I just found out that recently people haven't been picking up my calls because they didn't recognize my number. Somehow the latest GV app was deactivated at some point (by Doze?) and didn't come back up, instead of always running in the background. Because of this, my outgoing calls did not go through GV (and my SIM number showed up as the caller ID, a number that is unknown to everyone, including myself). If I fire up the GV app and then make a phone call, it then works as expected. This never happened before as I rarely ever fire up the GV app after setting it up the first time.

Anyway, I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling and see if the problem persists.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Somehow the latest GV app was deactivated at some point (by Doze?) and didn't come back up, instead of always running in the background.

Update: My apologies for the false alarm.
It turns out this annoying behavior is not caused by the new GV app but the app from HTC called 'Boost+' which is basically HTC's version of the infamous 'Clean Master' :rolleyes:. Apparently after upgrading to Nougat a few weeks ago, this app is automatically installed on my phone and it immediately went to work, automatically shutting down apps that haven't been used in a certain period of time.