Google set to pull out of China after latest cyber attack.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8455712.stm

"It did not specifically accuse China's government but said it was no longer willing to censor its Chinese site's results, as the government requires.

Google says the decision may mean it has to shut the site, set up in 2006."

"If, as seems likely, the government refuses to allow it to operate an uncensored service, then Google will pull out"

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Google said it would hold talks with the Chinese government in the coming weeks to look at operating an unfiltered search engine within the law.

Good luck with that....

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Haha good, they should just pull out I say. That will pretty much be a big F U to their goverment for supporting these hackers. IMO the US should censor China. Just firewall all their IPs and only allow very basic services, and maybe even throttle them. Then again this is useless, most of their attacks are just controlling other country's virus infected computers, probably.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Try to surf the web in China is ridiculously idiotically restrictive.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Do most people in china just use proxies anyway? I'm sure it's impossible for them to block every single one, there must be some kind of underground community that keeps track of em.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Haha good, they should just pull out I say. That will pretty much be a big F U to their goverment for supporting these hackers. IMO the US should censor China. Just firewall all their IPs and only allow very basic services, and maybe even throttle them. Then again this is useless, most of their attacks are just controlling other country's virus infected computers, probably.

Did you read the article? The implication is that the hacking is coming from the Chinese government, and it's not controlling virus infected computers. It's espionage.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
When I was in China, I had no problem accessing any sites I wish. :shifty:

It can very depending on what's going on in the country at the moment. For example Youtube has been blocked and unblocked may times. If there is anything they find politically worrisome going on they will clamp down on things for a period.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Did you read the article? The implication is that the hacking is coming from the Chinese government, and it's not controlling virus infected computers. It's espionage.

I was just speaking in general. Lot of hack attacks do come from Chinese people that are controlling computers in other countries.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Doesn't china have a search engine baidu or something...

And how is pulling out helping them against hackers? Can't the hackers still hack gmail?

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Google's blog post on this topic:

A New Approach to China

I applaud Google for this, US companies should be telling other countries to jump in a lake when they try to impose ridiculous censorship requirements.