Google Project Ara nearing release of first smartphone with user-swappable CPU

Do you think modular phones will become the norm in the future?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

shree

Aug 27, 2014
Google's Project Ara is nearing the release of their first smartphone with a modular design, allowing users to swap CPU modules, displays etc. According to this report, the device is a 13.8 cm phone, not a 13.8 inch tablet as reported by the media.

Are we finally seeing the rise of 'evergreen' smartphones? Can the PC model work in the mobile world?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
This will be a niche product that appeals to certain industries that need custom handheld devices that currently have very high costs.

shree

Aug 27, 2014
A pertinent question is -- will people really swap their phone CPU instead of buying a new phone after a year? Or am I too conditioned by habit to be able to conceive of that possibility?

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
A pertinent question is -- will people really swap their phone CPU instead of buying a new phone after a year? Or am I too conditioned by habit to be able to conceive of that possibility?

I would. I honestly am fine with any 1080P+ phone display but want better/faster CPUs/GPUs. Swapping that out, along with the battery and storage would be great. You could upgrade your display every-other-time and more regularly upgrade CPU/GPU. I like options!

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Provided the 'modular phone' doesn't look like a toy to begin with?

Agree.

I really liked the magnetic Ara versions, but I think that is not what the consumer version will have. As long as it looks decent, I am good with that.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I'm very interested only for the ability to change cameras. That's the part that seems to get outclasses most quickly these days, even faster than CPU

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I'm very interested only for the ability to change cameras. That's the part that seems to get outclasses most quickly these days, even faster than CPU

Good point. Today's phones are very much a compromise, the best overall package solution within a specific price point. For those that may not need a fast CPU or gpu, but want a top of line camera, this could provide that option. Or vice versa.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
I am seeing on RAM and storage, it even gets outclassed even faster than the cameras.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
we'll see how it works. to pull this off right even from an adopters standpoint needs a long lead time - in 1-2 years people will want to upgrade, so even if you offered upgrade options now, people wouldn't use it.
This would need another strong nexus style sustained effort to push forth.
You could nerf the phone so people would jump to upgrades immedaitely, but then you'd get terribad reviews on the product.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
we'll see how it works. to pull this off right even from an adopters standpoint needs a long lead time - in 1-2 years people will want to upgrade, so even if you offered upgrade options now, people wouldn't use it.
This would need another strong nexus style sustained effort to push forth.
You could nerf the phone so people would jump to upgrades immedaitely, but then you'd get terribad reviews on the product.

Initially, you might have a lot of early adopters that upgrade constantly. I could see a lot of the initial users adopting it, just because they can swap stuff out. May not make a lot of fiscal sense, but it something they can do.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So, they can make a modular phone, but they can't make their own Nexus phones run the latest Linux kernels???

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Obligatory "can it run Crysis" response. You're welcome.

*installs 5960x in Ara phone*

*runs Crysis*