Google Planning NFC announcement tomorrow

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
My brother lives in Tokyo and told me NFC is everywhere. I'd definitely love to have it over here.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/24/google-nfc-event-youtube/

More proof: http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/25/vivotech-google-nfc/

Will be interesting to see what they do. I am all for this. I would love to make 100% of my payments thru my cell phone and not have to carry a wallet. Would make my life much easier!

I just hope apple follows suit with the iPhone 5 and has this technology built in as well.

What do you all think? Is this technology ready for prime time?

Certainly. It has been used in Japan for awhile now and as far as the NFC technology goes it isn't that new. Hopefully this will encourage more shops to adopt NFC in their stores.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
I used my ipad at Starbucks today. Is that cooler than paying with cashier credit card

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
I'm more interested in the non-payment uses of NFC. During the Google I/O conference they had a session on NFC showcasing "zero-click" sharing of apps, data, songs etc.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
The problem with this is that you need a phone specifically with NFC. I think the way Square is implementing this sort of payment system is a lot more ubiquitous.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Mmmm depends how it works. If it works with the existing RF devices then no it just sends the card #.

Looks like it is 2 way with backwards compatibility for PayPass.

Interesting it is setup with MasterCard.
I wonder why Visa is on the sidelines.

There have been rumors about Visa working with Apple. Should be interesting.

Last edited:

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Looks like it is 2 way with backwards compatibility for PayPass.

Interesting it is setup with MasterCard.
I wonder why Visa is on the sidelines.

There have been rumors about Visa working with Apple. Should be interesting.

Isn't Visa backing up Square? Wouldn't this be competition between the two if Visa decided to go with both?

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why do you still have to sign your signature? Whats the purpose of that seeing that when shopping online or even when buying gas you don't need a signature.