Google Has Released a Standalone Camera App into the Play Store

Oct 25, 2006
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.GoogleCamera

I've been trying it out. I like it alot. It's quite fast. The UI is better than what we've got now, though I'm not quite sure I like it. But still, much much better.

The view is also no longer cropped.

The advanced options are lacking (Only Exposure Control, and you need to enable it first in settings) and no HDR support for non Nexus devices.

However surprisingly, photosphere support is included and the panorama view feature

Try it out, and see what you guys think.

Also side note: There is a Android-Chrome Remote Desktop app in the playstore? Since when?

Last edited:

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
interesting. updates existing camera on nexus 5.
i do see hdr+ support. but I can't find exposure control...

Oct 25, 2006
interesting. updates existing camera on nexus 5.
i do see hdr+ support. but I can't find exposure control...

Ah, then I guess this is basically the Android 4.5 stock app that is going along with Google's decoupling of apps from Android versions strategy. And I'm fairly sure only the N5 has HDR+.

Would be cool to get it on non nexus devices.

You have to activate advanced control from the settings page, than click on the menu button on the viewfinder to bring up the exposure button.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Probably worth including "nexus only" in the OP. Maybe it works with other roms though

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I installed it fine out of the App Store on my Moto X - I just clicked the link in the OP - I have both Camera App's.

e6u5np.png

Last edited:

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
found the exposure settings, thanks.

also neat to see that there is a resolution control for panoramas and photospheres now.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Installing it on my AOSP S4, thanks...

Manual exposure control works. HDR too.

Last edited:

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Compatible with any 4.4 Phone. Though apparently the Moto G is not included.

I'm running it on my GS3.

GS3? Well then you sir must be one of those hackers running a custom rom! Its not compatible with my s3's current rom, a stripped-down touchwiz rom. Oh well.

Feb 19, 2001
Google is FINALLY taking the camera seriously.
Let's hope so.

The lens blur is still meh at best. I just tried a few seconds ago comparing with a standard photo, and while the lens blur allows you to add more background blur, the foreground blur is done poorly. Your overall image loses a lot of detail as it gets softer

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Let's hope so.

The lens blur is still meh at best. I just tried a few seconds ago comparing with a standard photo, and while the lens blur allows you to add more background blur, the foreground blur is done poorly. Your overall image loses a lot of detail as it gets softer

Lens blur downsizes the final photo, and defaults to a low (fast) setting. Changing that alleviates some of what you're describing.

Although your last sentence is hilarious. "You lose a lot of detail when you blur it."

khha4113

Feb 1, 2001
Lens blur downsizes the final photo, and defaults to a low (fast) setting. Changing that alleviates some of what you're describing.

Although your last sentence is hilarious. "You lose a lot of detail when you blur it."
LOL! It seems to me that he tries every opportunity to criticize Google no matter how illogical it sounds!

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Messing with it on my Note 12.2. My Note 3 still on 4.3 though.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Only my tab pro 8.4 is compatible:

X Asus ME173X
X T-Mobile Samsung SM-N900V
Samsung SM-T320
X Verizon Samsung SCH-I415
X Samsung SGH-T959
X Galaxy S4
X Galaxy Tab2
X Verizon Samsung SCH-I415

edit Duh, must be kitKat

Feb 19, 2001
LOL! It seems to me that he tries every opportunity to criticize Google no matter how illogical it sounds!

Clearly you don't understand lens blur do you? The point isn't to give your whole photo blur. That would just be a blur filter. Lens blur is to give a shallow depth of field effect. The issue is that even the supposed focal point isn't sharp. Moreover, you're just here to jump on my comments and not to add any information. I said the OVERALL image loses sharpness, and that shouldn't be the point.

Here, take an example of a photo from a 50mm/1.4 lens:

13029220005_b5eff1eeaa_b.jpg

The subject should be in focus, but the background is blurred. Using Google Camera to create a fake lens blur often results in an overall softer picture. Of course this is somewhat understandable because even the best software will struggle in creating a fake effect to simulate the physics of optics.

Edit: Since you're too ignorant to even understand what I'm talking about, here's an example I snapped to show you what I mean:

Normal photo, focused on the "X":

IMG_20140418_163247.jpg

"Lens Blur" photo, focused on the "X". High image quality, with default amount of lens blur:
IMG_20140418_163258.jpg

The blur is pretty poorly done. The x is partially blurred (WTF). The base of the screen is poorly blurred. It's not a proper depth map. It seems like it jumps from a certain level of blur to the next. The overall image is softer.

I can probably create a better "fake" depth map in a few seconds on Instagram.

IMG_20140418_164312.jpg

Last edited:

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
WTF am I missing here?

I don't see exposure controls, flash controls or even controls for resolution and sizing. I have Googled the hell out of it and I don't see it anywhere. This thing looks like a huge step back to me.

Nexus 4. I'd anyone has any tips, I am all ears.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
WTF am I missing here?

I don't see exposure controls, flash controls or even controls for resolution and sizing. I have Googled the hell out of it and I don't see it anywhere. This thing looks like a huge step back to me.

Nexus 4. I'd anyone has any tips, I am all ears.

You have to swipe from the left and go to settings and advanced, enable manual exposure and resolutions there.

Flash settings are on the bottom right when you press the screen.

Last edited:

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
hopefully it gives me the option to turn off the click sound on the Note 3 when it becomes compatible.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
You have to swipe from the left and go to settings and advanced, enable manual exposure and resolutions there.

Flash settings are on the bottom right when you press the screen.

Reinstalled and I found it.

The little "gear" icon for the settings wasn't showing up from the original upgrade, it just stayed with the three little dots after swiping from the left. After searching on Google, it sounds like I may not be the only one with the problem.

I will give the new one a try, but I am not seeing the huge benefit since most of the effects are easily done in Photoshop, Gimp or an aftermarket app.