Google Docs & Spreadsheets - How Secure and Safe is it?

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
i have a couple documents that are somewhat sensitive that need to be collaborated on. how safe/secure would you say this google setup is?

or is there any free php/mysql setup i could put on my own https server that would allow the same type of collaboration? through a browser?

thanks,
bob

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Anything on Google is relatively safe. Until they decide to start selling their huge database of information... which makes Google Checkout a bad idea.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
depends. how senstive is it? is it worht the risk no matter how small?

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
If it's sensitive in terms of national security, then avoid the trouble you can get yourself into. Use some other means of collaborating.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
definately not national security sensitive but sensitive to me and the people working on it. nothing illegal or anything, just not sure if google has a price tag and if they just data mine everything including these docs...

i have tried to find something i can put on my own server but i can't find a script that does this...anybody have an idea of one?

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: bob4432
definately not national security sensitive but sensitive to me and the people working on it. nothing illegal or anything, just not sure if google has a price tag and if they just data mine everything including these docs...

i have tried to find something i can put on my own server but i can't find a script that does this...anybody have an idea of one?

You mean does anyone have a copy of the Google source code for Google Docs and Spreadsheets so you can use it on your website?

"A script", ... you make it sound like a 3-line function. GD&S is likely thousands of lines of Javascript, if not more. Of course it's in plain text and available in your browser's cache, but it's heavily obfuscated. =)

EDIT: Oh, and that's just the client end. You'll never see the server-side code. =)

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Alphathree33
Originally posted by: bob4432

You mean does anyone have a copy of the Google source code for Google Docs and Spreadsheets so you can use it on your website?

"A script", ... you make it sound like a 3-line function. GD&S is likely thousands of lines of Javascript, if not more. Of course it's in plain text and available in your browser's cache, but it's heavily obfuscated. =)

EDIT: Oh, and that's just the client end. You'll never see the server-side code. =)

when i say a script i am not trying to minimize it - like phpbb is a php script, as is smf that is what i am referring to. i am not asking for googles code, but something similiar that is all that. might use a mysql backend, nothing fancy. all of the php web collaboration scripts/programs i have found don't let you edit documents on the internet, they basically just give access to others so they can modify them and i could do that with a blank apache folder and ftp access, but was looking for something a bit more refined.

maybe i will just use a forum script and allow everybody who needs to have access to edit the different threads the ability. i figure if the entire forum is wrapped in a secured folder and require https to view then it should be pretty safe