Google Cloud launches N2D based on 2nd gen Epyc

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Took some sweet time, but Google is finally offering some 2nd gen AMD Epyc VMs in its compute cloud.

Google blog: https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/compute/announcing-the-n2d-vm-family-based-on-amd
AMD press release: https://www.amd.com/en/press-releases/2020-02-18-amd-epyc-cloud-adoption-grows-google-cloud

N2D instances provide savings of up to 13% over comparable N-series instances, and up to a 39% performance improvement on the Coremark benchmark compared to comparable N1 instances1.
HPC workloads such as crash analysis, financial modeling, rendering and reservoir analysis, will benefit from the N2D machine types configured with 128 and 224 vCPUs, which offer up to 70% higher platform memory bandwidth than comparable N1 instances. This, combined with higher core counts, provides over a 100% performance improvement on a variety of representative benchmarks, including Gromacs and NAMD, compared to n1-standard-96 vCPUs.
N2D VMs are now available in beta from us-central1, asia-southeast1, and europe-west4, with more regions on the way!

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
What is the hardware config of the N1D or n1-standard vcpus ?
N1D doesn't seem to exists, so these are the first Epyc cloud instances Google publicly offers.
  • N1 machine types offer up to 96 vCPUs, 6.5 GB of memory per vCPU, and are available on Intel Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, and Skylake CPU platforms.
  • N2 machine types offer up to 80 vCPUs, 8 GB of memory per vCPU, and are available on the Intel Cascade Lake CPU platforms.
  • N2D machine types offer up to 224 vCPUs, 8 GB of memory per vCPU, and are available on second generation AMD EPYC Rome platforms.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
N1D doesn't seem to exists, so these are the first Epyc cloud instances Google publicly offers.
Thanks, that answers my question. I was guessing at the nomenclature other than N2D. 100% over Skylake ! I knew they were good (I have one), but 100% !!!!!