Google Chrome

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
So Google Chrome is now available for the Mac. I downloaded it and have used it...what am I missing? What makes me want to use this over Safari or Firefox?

I don't mind having another browser to use in case others do not display a page properly...but beyond that...what does Chrome give me that the others do not?

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Thanks for the reminder. I also saw that Google has allowed 3rd party add ons. Mouse gestures makes the Chrome browser complete for me.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Thanks for the reminder. I also saw that Google has allowed 3rd party add ons. Mouse gestures makes the Chrome browser complete for me.

only on windows though...

but chromium works with addons. I got some adblock going on and xmarks. Still no fast dial though.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Chrome has become my default browser, because of its speed. I'm referring to startup/shutdown speed - most definitely faster than Safari & Firefox for me. When I need to use Firebug, I switch over to Flock which I've specifically installed because my FF was getting so slow!

Sandboxed tabs are also nice - saved me a couple times today from having to reboot the entire browser.

I am eagerly awaiting a decent bookmark manager, bookmark sync, as well as extensions for us Mac users. :awe:

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Chrome has become my default browser, because of its speed. I'm referring to startup/shutdown speed - most definitely faster than Safari & Firefox for me. When I need to use Firebug, I switch over to Flock which I've specifically installed because my FF was getting so slow!

Sandboxed tabs are also nice - saved me a couple times today from having to reboot the entire browser.

I am eagerly awaiting a decent bookmark manager, bookmark sync, as well as extensions for us Mac users. :awe:

Next time you need firebug, press command-alt-i or go to view -> developer tools. I've found this meets my needs most of the time.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've been using that on and off as well, but it does not allow 'real time' editing like Firebug does... unless I am doing something wrong.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I've been using that on and off as well, but it does not allow 'real time' editing like Firebug does... unless I am doing something wrong.

It does allow inline editing, both of dom elements and javascript. You can also debug and set break points.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Can I change, add, and delete CSS rules in real time? I haven't been able to see the results in the main window like in Firebug... ?

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I just added a rule and adjusted the padding and it worked for me. There is no way to delete, but you can disable rules.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ah, you're right! I don't know why I thought it didn't work before. I must have been doing something wrong - THANKS.

Yet another reason to stay with Chrome :)

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
I've been using Chrome for a couple days now and am loving it! So speedy. I will give Safari the benefit of the doubt and keep it as the default browser and retain it's spot in the dock at least until the next Chrome update.

I also love having an incognito window up alongside a normal window, as opposed to Safari's one mode for all.

I haven't touched Firefox in over a year, too slow and clunky for me. Webkit for all!!!

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
Anyone know if you can edit the bookmarks? Mine are a mess, and obviously the in-app manager is not yet enabled, but perhaps there is a bookmark file somewhere I can edit manually?

Edit: Woo, that was fun. I don't use terminal much so I felt like an uber nerd solving a mystery!

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Bookmarks

Last edited:

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
lol, I wouldn't have known either had I not subscribed to the Google dev blog feed

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
UPDATE!!

Chrome was updated today (though my in browser about menu told me I was still up to date) so you may have to go re-download it as I did. Bookmark syncing and extensions.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!! YOUR NEW #1 BROWSER HAS FINALLY EARNED ITS PLACE ON THE DOOOOOOOOOOOCCCKKK!!!!!!!!! :D

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I have to admit...it is getting more and more interesting. I've put it in my dock and have used it from time to time...but it hasn't take a spot over Safari or FF yet.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Oct 27, 2007
installed it today...definitle improvement. Why the heck does the forums have such huge text by default (on all browsers). Am I doing something wrong? Why doesn't the forum have multiple themes as well?
I'm working on implementing themes in the next version of Improved AT. I could also add an option for text size. Chrome is actually pretty good at resizing pages, Ctrl+mousewheel.

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
With the newest Chrome update I seem to have lost my theme. It was just plain grey. Like a natural OS X - I thought I was using classic, but that is blue now.