Google Chrome resource hog?

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I recently switched to chrome from firefox for my main browsing needs and have really liked chrome.

However... does chrome really need to have a process for each tab?

Right now i have a bunch of tabs opened. So in task manager i have 13 chrome.exe processes ranging from 18MB to 180MB using a total of 773MB out of my total 2GB of memory...

Is there any way to fix this? A web browser shouldn't be using that amount of resources.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
On Win7 system
I have 8 processes with 3 Chrome tabs opened - total of 270M
5 IE9 tabs - 6 processes - total of 800M

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I have found chrome to be very efficient with resources, i made a thread about it here an hour ago. In fact on further usage the difference between firefox and chrome on my netbook is staggering. With chrome it feels like im using a desktop again!

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
On Win7 system
I have 8 processes with 3 Chrome tabs opened - total of 270M
5 IE9 tabs - 6 processes - total of 800M

And you can't even just blindly add them up like that because there's going to be a significant amount of memory shared between the processes.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
And you can't even just blindly add them up like that because there's going to be a significant amount of memory shared between the processes.

Applications sharing processes or the tabs sharing?

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011
I've had 250 Tabs open in Chrome across a dozen windows on my system, (that has 4GB of RAM), whilst simultaneously running a full Security Essentials scan and RTHDRIBL. Every single Chrome tab was as responsive to use as if it were the only one open.

It's a pretty decent Browser considering!

Album&

I was testing Hardware Acceleration, among other things!

Last edited:

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
However... does chrome really need to have a process for each tab?

Yes. Monolithic single-process applications are a thing of the past, as they don't scale with multiple CPU cores. If a task can be efficiently broken into a new process, it absolutely should be done.

Well, If I had 2GB and Chrome is using what... 40&#37; memory, something is wrong w\ that.

How do you figure? The memory used is highly dependent on the content being viewed. If you are viewing enough crap in all your tabs to add up to 800MB, Chrome is going to have to use 800MB+.

Last edited:

86waterpumper

Jan 18, 2010
compared to firefox or any other browser, chrome is a racehorse. I could care less how much memory it uses. It is responsive and fast and the program loads in a fifth of the time it takes others to open. Memory is cheap as can be right now, no reason at all to be running 2gb unless it's a netbook or something...plus alot of it depends on what webpage you are on, not so much the browser itself