Google Chrome: Backspace no longer works like 'back' button

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=608016

I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand I *love* the fact that they've finally got rid of this really stupid bit of browser behaviour.

On the other hand, I hate user interface changes that apply to everyones' configuration with immediate effect, and furthermore I hate changes that can't be easily rolled back if the user prefers the way it worked before.

According to that URL an extension can be made to reintroduce that 'feature' which I guess is better than nothing.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I wish all browsers would ditch middle-click at title bar or tab which closes tabs, happens often if I'm using middle click to scroll on webpages and when the mouse ends up in the title bar area while I release and it closes the tab or opens a new one!

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
Good info and I agree with you about changes board wide. I still haven't gotten over the fact that New Tab doesn't open my home page, and CANNOT without an extension.

I wasn't aware of the Backspace change even though I use it all the time when navigating on computers where I don't have the 4th mouse button (especially in Windows Explorer), but on my home computers, where Chrome is installed, I solely use the mouse button for navigation. I've also fallen victim to pressing backspace to delete something I've typed, and inadvertently triggered the browser's back button, resulting in data loss. So while I was angry for a moment learning this, I quickly realized the reason behind it and remembered that I have no need for the feature (since I use the back button on the mouse), and I agree with the change.

I suppose I feel for people who use touchpads, but Alt-Left isn't a two-handed-keystroke as the linked post claims it is any more than pressing Backspace was. It's easily done with one hand.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I always use a button on the LH side of my Logitech mouse which is set as the Back button by default. I would be upset if that suddenly stopped working for whatever reason (sine I barely have to move anything to use it) so I can understand how long-standing customers being upset. It's almost saying "We would rather keep newer customers who don't know what they are doing happy than to keep our existing customers (who know how to use this feature) happy."

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I'm a little torn. Not all of my devices have a mouse where I can have easy Back functionality, or I don't have access to my mouse every time I use my laptop. I use Backspace in those circumstances, and have never had the problems that so many people apparently have.

I make use of it often enough that I'll miss it. Everyone else suggesting two key options don't really get it, I don't think.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
alt-lt arrow is the default on gnu/linux. I'm fine with that, but it took a little while to get used to when I switched.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Chrome takes the minimalist approach to the extreme, to the point where it's rendered a crippled piece of unconfigurable garbage. I don't want to have to install extensions just to get basic functionality. I don't use this browser because I like it, I just haven't been able to find anything that suits me better, and that's a sorry state of affairs.

Have you tried Vivaldi?
http://imgur.com/kTMpSJD

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Chrome takes the minimalist approach to the extreme, to the point where it's rendered a crippled piece of unconfigurable garbage. I don't want to have to install extensions just to get basic functionality. I don't use this browser because I like it, I just haven't been able to find anything that suits me better, and that's a sorry state of affairs.

I find this point of view a bit odd, considering it was Firefox's original strategy and they've long since departed from it. What browser do you use?

I switched to Chrome a few months ago, and I only have one extension installed to give me functionality that I deem essential ("Simple Speed Dial"). In Firefox I originally needed no extensions, then needed two to revert stupid UI changes they kept making.

What extra functionality do you need? Just curious.