Question Google Camera Mods

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-port-hub/

Anyone using Gcam? "It turns out, a lot of the Pixel magic has to do with the google camera application. "

I am considering trading up an S8 for a pixel 3. But..... The only reason to me, would be for the better camera. Better might be just the software, as the S8, considered on some review sites give the S8 high scores.

I am perfectly happy, with my S8, but I am traveling again, and would like the best camera on the phone. Not sure if trading in the S8, and spending the extra cash is worth it, esp, since the S8 does have a better screen, altho... 835 vs 845 ... I doubt the difference for me, is going to make that big of deal.

So anyone use port on non google phones? I've heard of it crashing on some phones. Is it worth it? I'll try it out and report back later.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I haven't tried it, but I'd be curious to know how it goes for you. The wife's LG G7 has a craptastic camera, I was thinking about trying it out on her phone myself.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I tried it, it's stable, but.. to be honest, I can't see much of a difference in the picture quality. Tho, it's really hard to do side by side, since, you have to click out of one app into another. Not sure, but seems the native google app that came with the S8 in pro mode seems to have more options to funk around with. Maybe there is another menu somewhere on the app. I'm going to wait for Pie, maybe that will make a difference. I think it's worth a try for the install.

To be honest, I doubt I'm going to see much of an upgrade with S8 vs 3XL phone cameras. Maybe the new S10 will come out with some worth upgrading. I'll wait for that first I think.