Google and China

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm sorry you used the word penetrate and I am not thinking of technology anymore.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Microsquish.

For your information, Microsoft has done more for human rights in the past 20 years than any other company in the world, so I would appreciate it if you would stop mocking their name. It only shows your ignorance and bigotry. Everyone knows this.

BigLar

Jun 22, 2003
For your information, Microsoft has done more for human rights in the past 20 years than any other company in the world, so I would appreciate it if you would stop mocking their name. It only shows your ignorance and bigotry. Everyone knows this.

I stand corrected based on your fact laden retort, make that Microsquashed.

Regarding the company's ethics, there can be little doubt that Mr. Gates has done good works with his fortune. It is troubling that the company has been the beneficiary of multiple anti-trust and anti-competitive actions.

Can you comment, without the hyperventilation please, on the rectitude of Bing being licensed to Motorola for the Chinese market due to their greater compliance in blocking free speech? Or does that not matter?

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
I stand corrected based on your fact laden retort, make that Microsquashed.

Regarding the company's ethics, there can be little doubt that Mr. Gates has done good works with his fortune. It is troubling that the company has been the beneficiary of multiple anti-trust and anti-competitive actions.

Can you comment, without the hyperventilation please, on the rectitude of Bing being licensed to Motorola for the Chinese market due to their greater compliance in blocking free speech? Or does that not matter?

You have not thought this through very well have you? Well, BigLar, let me explain. Microsoft needs money to help more people, and in order for it to get money, it must market and distribute it's products. Therefore allowing the use of Bing in China, even with the censorship is still helping people. So you see, BigLar, the blocking of free speech actually helps people indirectly. That is Microsoft's plan. That is what you have failed to see. Open your eyes, BigLar. Open them and see the truths that I have shown you. You'll be a bette man for it. Everyone knows this.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Microsoft is on its way to irrelevance, so they'll play ball with China or anyone to try to hold on. What they'll find out is they'll sell out their ethics and get nothing in return but scraps from Baidu's table.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I find it more funny Google standing tall against Chinese censors while working with our govt to track online habits.

BigLar

Jun 22, 2003
You have not thought this through very well have you? Well, BigLar, let me explain. Microsoft needs money to help more people, and in order for it to get money, it must market and distribute it's products. Therefore allowing the use of Bing in China, even with the censorship is still helping people. So you see, BigLar, the blocking of free speech actually helps people indirectly. That is Microsoft's plan. That is what you have failed to see. Open your eyes, BigLar. Open them and see the truths that I have shown you. You'll be a bette man for it. Everyone knows this.

1. I admire your self confidennce.
2. You don't know me, so please do not use my name condescendingly. BTW, its Dr. BigLar.
3. "Blocking of free speech helps people." - Interesting... You'd like Stalinist Russia, eh?
4. Bette has an r on the end of it.

You are an apt demonstration of Jerry Faber's observation, "The problem isn't with Mr. Charlie, its what he's done to your mind."

Good day, sir.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
it's possible. PC gaming is dying and more people will move to linux possibly? if the linux crowd can be a little less rabid and condescending then it might have a chance.

wasn't intel a little upstart at one point? making chips for others. now our PCs, netbooks etc etc runs on it whether you have a mac or a PC running windows or linux.

we can't really imagine these companies failing but a new company can come in and kick em hard. google for example.

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
Google to disclose its plans for business in China this week:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...6173171847514.html?mod=WSJ_business_whatsNews

It is expected that Google will close down www.google.cn. It will probably maintain its Nexus One production there.

The Chinese government has come out swinging with commentaries in Xinhua:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/indepth/2010-03/21/c_13219289.htm

another:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/indepth/2010-03/21/c_13219104.htm

Not to mention a bunch of Fox News style "articles colored with commentary and persuasion."

So, Google defeated in the World's biggest internet market. Is freedumb really necessary for a society? Most Americans don't exercise their freedumbs and would be perfectly content to live in China.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Microsoft is on its way to irrelevance.

I have to thank you for my laugh of the day.

If only you understood their penetration on products you've never even heard of alone, worldwide. And/or will never see/use. Ignorance is bliss.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Does it strike anyone as particularly sleazy that with Google standing tall and saying they're not going to cooperate with the Chinese censors, Motorola proudly announced that they would be using Bing their phones to penetrate the Chinese market?

Check it out: http://gizmodo.com/5490793/motorola-replacing-google-search-with-bing-on-chinese-android-phones

I'm not sure who I'm more disappointed in, Motorola or Microsquish.

Google is being extremely stupid. They are alienating 1.6 billion customers.

Google has proven that it is a one hit wonder and while its market position will remain strong, it has little room for growth in the future.

Any share holder of google should be extremely upset with this decision.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'm happy about it. Nice to see a company doing something moral for once. Google was hardly the top search engine in China anyway.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
... why would I be mad at Microsoft for going along with local laws in order to be part of the market? Fact is there's over a billion people there and there's tons of money to be made as their citizens make more and more money. Google would do more to help get rid of censorship in China if they had stayed there. Then at least they could get some pull in the matter and maybe sway things to a more "free" internet. Google wasn't #1 and was losing users so they bailed.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Microsoft has no problem doing evil for a quick buck. That said, I'll still use Bing Cashback for a quick buck :D

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Google is being extremely stupid. They are alienating 1.6 billion customers.

Google has proven that it is a one hit wonder and while its market position will remain strong, it has little room for growth in the future.

Any share holder of google should be extremely upset with this decision.

Do you really think China is going to let an American company compete fairly in its search market? This is country obsessed with controlling information. Google would have simply sold out its soul and gotten nothing in return, except bad publicity for being an accomplice in Chinese government actions, endless hacking and theft of intellectual property, and lowered employee morale. Would you want to work for a company that helps Chinese government spy on, imprison, and potentially execute your users for political thought?