Google 6/6 Pro Specs Leaked

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
5G on T-Mobile is about coverage first, speed second. A lot of their new coverage, including their nationwide low frequency bands, is dedicated to 5G.

That said, my experience with the 5G with T-Mobile has been great. 50 mbps in my house, 100 mbps sitting in a field in a tractor in rural Iowa where a couple years ago I had to be standing on the correct side of my parents house to get coverage at all. I am glad they are building it out, I hope that they continue. The UC coverage near my house that covers a big sports field area and a neighborhood allows for easy 300 mbps+.

My wife loves her Pixel 6 but that fingerprint reader - wow, hard to believe that is a production implementation and the only included biometric unlock.

Reactions: killster1

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Do I have to DL it or will it update automatically?
You may have to side load it manually if your carrier didn't push it yet. I'm on MetroPCS and have not received it yet. Side loading requires setting up ADB and connecting the phone to the PC, downloading the package and using command line to push it to the phone.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
You may have to side load it manually if your carrier didn't push it yet. I'm on MetroPCS and have not received it yet. Side loading requires setting up ADB and connecting the phone to the PC, downloading the package and using command line to push it to the phone.
I'm on T-Mobile... don't think they have pushed it out yet. Phone says it checked for updates at 6:21am.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I am on Verizon. I went to system update and checked manually and it was there. Do that. You should get it if you are on a major carrier

Reactions: spdfreak

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
5G on T-Mobile is about coverage first, speed second. A lot of their new coverage, including their nationwide low frequency bands, is dedicated to 5G.

That said, my experience with the 5G with T-Mobile has been great. 50 mbps in my house, 100 mbps sitting in a field in a tractor in rural Iowa where a couple years ago I had to be standing on the correct side of my parents house to get coverage at all. I am glad they are building it out, I hope that they continue. The UC coverage near my house that covers a big sports field area and a neighborhood allows for easy 300 mbps+.

My wife loves her Pixel 6 but that fingerprint reader - wow, hard to believe that is a production implementation and the only included biometric unlock.
that is interesting i thought 5g was for speeds, tmobile has had promotions to give out free hotspots to check the awesomeness of their coverage, i didnt get very good speeds even when not inside my home, but that must have been 2-3 years ago, im tempted to try it again now that im hearing 5g is for coverage and that they now have sprints towers? ((sprint has never been good here either tho )(

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm not getting 5G inside this new apartment, but I do get it outside around the surrounding area and I'm near Philadelphia.

I'm probably going to end up turning 5G off anyway as I see I'm on full LTE bars here. That, and the 5g modem in this phone drains the battery quicker I've noticed, anytime I toggle wifi off and see 5G UC for some amount of time.

The 5G modem in these phones aren't the newest or most efficient ones is what I've been reading.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
that is interesting i thought 5g was for speeds, tmobile has had promotions to give out free hotspots to check the awesomeness of their coverage, i didnt get very good speeds even when not inside my home, but that must have been 2-3 years ago, im tempted to try it again now that im hearing 5g is for coverage and that they now have sprints towers? ((sprint has never been good here either tho )(

*Better* than Sprints towers - they have Sprints bands AND the capital to build them out. T-Mobile is now a frequency juggernaut compared to Verizon and AT&T for the "premium" midband where Sprint bought up a ton of bands then promptly sat on them for whatever reason. Paired with their solid allocation of low band they should conceivably have the best nationwide coverage at some point.

Just noticed I get mmwave in my upstairs and 175mbps second down laying in bed. I ran the tests last night but got to tired to post more :D

I am in a suburban neighborhood, not some super dense area where we hear about mmwave being built out. Now (compared to 2-3 years ago) T-Mobile works great in the great rural area where my parents live, now if will just work at the lake place we spend a few days at during the summer it will be at full out awesome. It only took about 15 years of being a T-Mobile customer to get decent coverage in the out of the way places ;)

I was thinking the mmwave stuff was a gimmick, but maybe not. It's a little bummer the 6 doesn't have it all on the unlocked model and the Verizon one doesn't seem capable of using AT&T or T-Mobile mm wave bands. I suppose in three year when my wifes done getting major updates and the battery is rubbish the market will be that much more mature.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm hoping t mobile starts building out coverage in the state parks around here so I can switch to them in 2-3 years.

Reactions: blckgrffn

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yes, here in MN that is a weak spot - lots of no coverage in the state parks we hiked this year.

And yet... it was sort of a feature.
It's definitely a double edged sword. I'd like to have service mostly for emergencies. I mean for music I can just have it downloaded to my phone so it's mostly just about safety. Otherwise, if it starts to rain and you get stuck in your tents backpacking, it will be nice to be able to amuse yourself on the phone. But really when you get out there, it's nice to stay off your phone

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
How's everyone's FPS after the update?

Battery life is solid now. Charged to 100% today. Off the charger at 9:30, navigated to go hiking. Hiked. Light usage. Navigated back. Stopped for food. Streamed football on Verizon while waiting. Got home. Used phone a lot on WiFi. 40% at 10pm. With 4 hours of SOT.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
My FPS is much better- actually usable now. I've never had a battery issue unless I leave the screen always on.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The new phone I got from Google does not seem to have any more issues with the screen getting stuck on 60hz.

I did test the phone all day on mobile data with wifi off. I got full LTE bars at home and 5G UC outside where service was available but not the best in terms of bars. Totalled close to 4hrs of screen time at the end of the night with roughly 40% left.

The battery drain seems to be worse on mobile data than wifi, doesn't seem to matter if you tell it to use LTE vs 5G, idle drain all things the same is worse on mobile data. I use always on display and left everything else on that I had previously (location, Bluetooth,nfc, only wifi turned off.)

I think screen on time could be improved by a lot of the idle drain wasn't as high on mobile data only.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
I'm pretty happy with this phone now... FPS is decent, 5G UC where it is available is 100Mbs or better, All the apps I use work well except Paramount+ which is constantly stopping and buffering. Netflix is perfect, though. I want to use AccuRadio as my default music app but its not in the list. Google tries hard to make you get You Tube music...

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Was over at my sister's house in downtown ATL yesterday and did a speed test- 415Mbs 5G UC with 4 bars. :oops:
I think she will get T-mobiles 5G internet for 50.00/mo. It's quite a bit faster than her current Comcast and quite a bit cheaper.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
If I can get it at my house I might even get it for our house traffic and keep the Comcast Biz connection as a backup. With both my wife and I working from home fully time, having a legit second option is worthwhile. Hit spotting the phone works but isn’t as robust.

T-Mobile also doesn’t have a data cap, afaik, which compared to residential Comcast can be a big deal for a household. Comcast Biz has no such shenanigans.

uhoh, I just checked and it is available! What do I do now 😂

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Google is pretty aggressive with filtering scam calls. Maybe too aggressive. The calls show up in my call list as "Scam Likely" but it doesn't show the number which I'd like to see since it may actually be a call I need to accept. Anyone know how to show the number?

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I've been pretty happy with my 6 pro so far, i think the updates helped the fingerprint reader a bit but it can be so touchy. It works fine like 90%+ of the time for me but occasionally it just won't recognize my print, seems quite sensitive to anything at all being on your finger. Before the update I had a lot more "slow" unlocks where I had to hold my finger for like a second or two, now it seems to unlock faster all the time.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Sometimes I notice my phone won't make phone calls. It will say calling, and eventually just play the hang up sound. Not sure what could be causing this. I'm on wifi and have full LTE bars when this happens.

I've played around with the wifi calling settings but that didn't seem to matter. It's very random when it does happen.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Sometimes I notice my phone won't make phone calls. It will say calling, and eventually just play the hang up sound. Not sure what could be causing this. I'm on wifi and have full LTE bars when this happens.

I've played around with the wifi calling settings but that didn't seem to matter. It's very random when it does happen.
I took mine off wifi calling since it was a bit buggy. Sometimes perfect quality, sometimes garbled. Yesterday, there was about 30min where no one could call me and if I called anyone I got an old style busy signal. I think that was T-Mo, not the phone.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I took mine off wifi calling since it was a bit buggy. Sometimes perfect quality, sometimes garbled. Yesterday, there was about 30min where no one could call me and if I called anyone I got an old style busy signal. I think that was T-Mo, not the phone.
I ended up turning mine off too. There are also times when I get no signal or a ! very briefly and after I get 4 or 5 bars of coverage. This is all at home too on wifi.

I think that before I go back to the office I'll turn off 5g and have the phone use LTE because the 5g modem on these phones aren't the newest and their signal search and switch causes mobile network standby to be very high, hence draining a lot of the battery.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
WiFi calling is great for me, on Verizon. Very reliable.

T Mo had a big issue yesterday with calls.

My phone does have big signal fluctuation so I'm getting a new device this week from Verizon. However I did read an article yesterday where Verizon admitted their network was having issues all over the place due to the switching and installation of new network tech and bands. So it just might be the network there too.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
New phone 120hz works. Signal fluctuation is better but signal strength is still poor and I'm surrounded by towers. It seems the samsung modem on this is problematic. I could care less if my 5G is a bit slower or uses a bit more battery, but just poor signal is unacceptable. From various searches it seems it's not just me seeing much poorer signal than they are used to when going to a p6, staying on their same carrier, even coming from another pixel.

I'm trying to figure out paying this off and getting an s21 5G and then selling the p6 pro. I love or like everything else about this phone but that is the ultimate dealbreaker.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The December update should arrive Monday for most carriers, hopefully. I think there are a bunch of bug fixes there. I'm not sure if any performance improvements for the modem will be in this update.

I've also read that those who got a new sim card from their carrier had better luck with signal because their sim was old? So I guess it's worth a shot.

I haven't had any issues with the signal. The only thing I've seen happen is when the phone goes from 5g to LTE a lot in areas around here. I should probably turn 5g off as it's not available all the time. Besides when it switches from 5g and LTE the battery drains quicker.